Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:37:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Disco Elysium

Started by AllisonSays, October 13, 2019, 02:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm enjoying it on a very profound level...although doing my usual thing of playing it for hours for about a week and then going back to it every couple of weeks for a few hours. Do feel that often in games that even if the writing is good it's still never exceptional like in a film or book, but this game definitely exceeds in that respect. I've just really enjoyed the part where you meet the raver bois and help them move into the church, and all the wonderfully bizarre ideas that came with that.

A bit like edith finch, as good as the game is it also feels like what is hopefully a predecessor to the games of the future and what they'll be able to do. Really hope that the studio responsible will follow up with a game that tops even this one.

bgmnts

Is this like Pillars of Eternity but as a detective? Dialogue heavy isometric rpg stuff? When will they fucking port this to consoles the cunts I want to play it.

Dewt

I haven't looked yet, so before I do: is anybody aware of any articles etc. where they explain how they keep the game state valid with the complex dialogue options? It works too well for it to be a bunch of special-case if statements.

Mister Six

Great interview.

"I remember going to the door to let him in," Rostov says. "He looked me dead in the eye and said, 'My friend, we failed at so many things. Let us also fail at making a video game.'"

Definitely going to play this, but I'll probably have to wait a bit. So little time these days, despite not achieving anything. Might get the book to tide me over, if it's out in English

brat-sampson

English version of the book is expected to drop 2nd half of 2020.

Mister Six

Lovely, I'll bag that when it's out.

Kryton

Just started playing this. Had some genuinely laugh out loud moments. I've vomited three times at the crime scene, got mocked by my superiors (and everyone listening in my call) for losing my badge, gun and uniform. Hilariously failed to open a bin before realising I had a key. And had some very weird conversations with people. My partner knows I'm am an amnesiac and keeps reminding me that I'm a police officer, I think he feels sorry for me. I'm trying to avoid the probably obvious booze and drugs route.

So far so good. I'm already curious about what choices and options I've missed and how interactions could be different.

So far so good.

Kryton

Man, this game is something else. I don't think I've ever laughed enough at a game.
My character is doing all he can to avoid booze and drugs, I've had the weirdest encounter with a chair and the big fat corrupt union guy. I keep telling everyone my name is Raphael instead of Harry.
I finally got the corpse down (thanks to a massive racist) and apparently performed an excellent field autopsy. I've annoyed a scouse kid who thinks I'm a dirty cop. And I finally got my coat back. I decided not to steal the corpse's boots.
Big fat union guy keeps suggesting he might know something about my gun, but I'm also under the impression he might be talking out of his fat arse.
My partner has buggered off for a bit taking the corpse to wherever it needs to go and I'm alone and deciding to perform my own investigations.

This game is amazing.

Zetetic

(Enjoying your enjoyment, even if I've nothing to say about it.)

Kryton

I'm being mocked by my limbic system and pain threshold as I try to sleep. My logic thoughts are just making me feel worse. My ancient reptilian brain is being very sarcastic to my claims of suffering for being an artist. My volition is in dispute with my empathy (the only thing backing up my weird maniacal thoughts).

The Limbic system is scaring me. Weird sing-song voice. But it thinks i'm 'rock and roll'.

Day 3 now. I think a new area has opened. I've been described as a boring centrist and an apologetic cop. I look like a hobo and a I collect bottles as my main income. I think I've annoyed most people I've met, but my trusty partner seems to like me.

Kryton

Just been interrogating a suspected victim and I've devolved into some psychodrama with various fragments of my mind and soul all arguing with each other. My volition is accusing rhetoric. drama and suggestions as being compromised. My electrochemistry is babbling all sorts of weird shit because I stole some speed.

Also my guy looks like a hobo and believes an invisible, incoporeal bird is following him (just because an old lady mentioned it) but I've developed excellent hearing for some reason. And I'm still determined to tell everyone my name is Raphael Amnbrosius Costro. Even the game is telling me it's a stupid idea.

The writing in this is top notch.

And the music is perfect.

peanutbutter

Reckon this would appeal at all to someone who isn't very into those Baldur's Gate RPG-type deals? Sounds super intriguing but I feel like there's a high chance I'll immediately realise its not at all for me

Zetetic

There's no dungeoneering and no focus on combat, and any concern about character stats etc is mostly blunted (although if you really fundamentally hate skill-checks you might dislike it).

brat-sampson

Can always savescum any choices you're especially concerned about, though tbh sometimes failing is just as much fun as passing.

One very irritating exception to that, but it's mostly true.

Kryton

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 05, 2020, 10:37:26 PM
Reckon this would appeal at all to someone who isn't very into those Baldur's Gate RPG-type deals? Sounds super intriguing but I feel like there's a high chance I'll immediately realise its not at all for me

Yeah it's more a point and click with heavy dialogue and crazy, funny, cynical and philosophical musings.

Kryton

This is getting really dark now (and still hilarious and massively inventive). The weird radio computers, talk of snuff games, all the shifting politics and drug wars. The ambience seems to be slowly swallowing us all up. The vague memories.

Genuinely giving me a good laugh every time I play though. I seem to be a moralistic, boring cop with a penchant for drama and the odd supernatural event.

Still not found my gun yet, or a map. But fuck it..

Kryton

*** SPOILERS BELOW***

I'm not smart enough to understand and elucidate my own thoughts on the meanings of this game, so I'm probably just going to ramble.

I mentioned the music is incredible - Just extremely haunting and sad and it paints an incredible gloomy, world of what could have been and what yet might still be. This game is giving me some real vibes of loss and longing, despair and hope. Never felt this weirded out since I played Labyrinth of Time on the Amiga many years ago. Militaristic tones and uplifting elevator music, weird discordant moments and then the odd burst of crazy jazz or electronic stuff.

The music for the modern 'Anodic'dance music is so clever. What would dance music be like if we just changed a few elements of how we produce music, just a subtle shift in technology? Wonderfully absurd but presented in such a believable form.

The weird tapes of music that you find of discordant church music. Fuck me. Playing this in a dark room.
Oh and the vocal chorus in the church by the sea.

--

The characters are brilliantly rendered too, exaggerated maybe, but wow. I've not stopped thinking about them. The elderly people hunting crytpids, Cuno and his weird friend, the union gang (what ARE they up to?), the Noir-esque lady on the roof, the dice maker (and the brilliant crazy workshop for an MMORPG in some alterntative game development hell), the curse of failing ventures. That union guy.

It's all so fucking Lynchian too. And I hate to use the term Lynchian too much. But it's all like a fever dream of decay and loss and rust, but supported and alive with all these melting pots of logically conflicting thoughts and people trying to belong to failing causes. Broken people clinging to the pockets of a reality and disconcertingly weird uses of technology. It's raining and it feels bleak and cold and tragic.

Even your own image of how you see your avatar, your detective is skewed to the observer. Your clothes, your beard, the reflection in the mirror.

And the skills/thoughts system is fantastic. Even now on day 4 I'm thinking I may have wasted some thoughts by putting in some mad shit and my skills are all over the place (mostly psyche). But whatever, I'll bumble through.

*** SPOILERS BELOW ***

I think my Detective is showing off/losing the plot a bit though. I had the key to a door, but decided to smash it open with my shoulder just for the hell of it. His reward for not drinking or smoking. There's a phone by the sea that seems to be mocking me. I also have some power gloves and a power breastplate underneath my hobo attire and they look fucking ridiculous.
I shamefully shaved off my mutton chops.
Cuno wants me to raid his Dad's apartment for some speed (and possibly kill his Dad) - Not decided how to approach this.
The Union guy wants me to unlock a door to teach someone a lesson - Not decided how to approach this either?
I don't have a map. Or a gun. But basing my previous behaviour the last time I had a gun (I basically threatened to shoot myself in front of seven union men - to get them to fear me). It's probably a good idea if I don't have one? Dunno.
I'm currently hunting a cryptid for some elderly people.

Thursday

buntyman

Quote from: Thursday on May 12, 2020, 09:14:11 AM
Games has been updated to help it run on low spec machines

https://www.pcgamer.com/disco-elysium-will-now-run-on-very-low-spec-machines/

Just bought this as I thought it would run okay on my low spec laptop. It doesn't... Should have waited for the Switch release!

Thursday

Feel like I shouldn't have brought it up now, sorry.

peanutbutter

Quote from: buntyman on May 14, 2020, 03:22:49 AM
Just bought this as I thought it would run okay on my low spec laptop. It doesn't... Should have waited for the Switch release!
If it's on steam I think they've a 14 day returns policy? Provided you played under 2 hours.

On sale on steam atm, £25, prolly cheaper in other places? Does anyone know if that 2 hour rule is flexible? I could complete some games in 2 hours, I feel like I wouldn't even know if I'm gonna enjoy this after 2 though

kittens

got this last night and it seems to run o.k. on my 4 year old laptop. looking forward to getting stuck in

AllisonSays

It runs on my Mac now, but also compels it to get really hot and make worryingly asthmatic fan noises. I played itvfor an hour or two though and found it very atmospheric!

kittens

is this a point and click adventure game? so far it is

Dewt

Yes, forever. But more open-ended than yer Monkey Islands and with a small amount of dice game stat rolling mixed in.

buntyman

I've played it for 5 hours now and still haven't moved more that 30 yards from the hotel I woke up in. Really enjoying it though and it's so much better on my desktop and monitor than my stuttery laptop. It's a lot to take in though having not really played a game like this since broken sword. I've got an absolute ton of things to do on my task list, I don't think I fully understand the dice rolling and leveling up mechanics and I'm concerned that if I don't play it for a couple of days I'll lose track of what's going on and give up. Should I keep blundering through as I am with inconsistent answers to questions and doing things in a random order or is it better to read a guide online to get me on the right track?

brat-sampson

You shouldn't need a guide. It's basically impossible to fuck up too badly I think, and yeah the task list is almost intentionally overwhelming. You end up tackling a large number of things just by wandering around and exploring/talking to people, but if you want to make a concerted effort to investigate a particular thing, you can.

kittens

the leveling up is confusing to me too. i'm just randomly choosing what to improve because i don't know what anything means.

Zetetic