Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:08:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why has everyone started spelling the word "telly" as "tele"?

Started by beanheadmcginty, October 13, 2019, 03:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

Get it right for Christ's sake. If you're not sure, just think back to the glorious opening titles of Noel's Telly Addicts.

DrGreggles

NJ Uncut

pigamus

olliebean

I haven't, and you have my full permission to immediately shoot me in the head if I ever do.

Almost as bad as people who spell "fridge" as "frig."

Dex Sawash

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteRe: Why has everyone started spelling the word "telly" as "tele"?

They haven't

Cheers

Shoulders?-Stomach!

beanheadmcginty

It's happening more and more. Even in this very forum. I can provide examples if necessary, but don't want to embarrass the offenders.

JesusAndYourBush

Almost as bad as people shortening breakfast to breaky when it should be brekky.

Achy Brekky Heart.

gilbertharding

I hadn't noticed that people had started spelling it 'tele'... but it was spelled that way on the Sound Affects lyric sheet for That's Entertainment and it always bothered me.

I also worked with a bloke (about 20 years older than me) who insisted that 'Frig.' was the correct abbreviation for refrigerator...

NoSleep

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 14, 2019, 09:28:31 AM
I also worked with a bloke (about 20 years older than me) who insisted that 'Frig.' was the correct abbreviation for refrigerator...

It would have at least be spelt "frige" to be in with a chance.

Icehaven

There was nothing on the tele, so I put my weles on and went to the shops for some jele, I ate it all and it filled my bele, but it made me blow off and that was smele.

Chriddof

I have also noticed this. I think it's been happening for a fair old while, actually - I first saw it every now and then on message boards back in the late 90s / early 2000s. I think the reason is that over the years people have just decided that the (wrong) way they spell words is automatically the correct way, and refuse to accept otherwise. (See gilbertharding's post.)

touchingcloth

Isn't telly really the wrong word? Would you sharpen the knives for people who spelled it "telly", but the full word as "tellyvision"?

FredNurke

'telly' is a little older, but 'tele' has been used as an abbreviation for 'television' since the mid-1930s. I thought perhaps it was chiefly used in the US, but even that appears not to be the case; rather, 'telly' is chiefly used in the UK. A bit like the different patterns of usage of 'video game' and 'computer game'.

gilbertharding

Remember there are (well... were - I'd hope they've all died or otherwise conceded defeat) people who object vociferously to 'television' because it is derived from Greek AND Latin words.

It should be either telerama or proculvision.

gilbertharding

Quote from: FredNurke on October 14, 2019, 02:56:40 PM
'telly' is a little older, but 'tele' has been used as an abbreviation for 'television' since the mid-1930s. I thought perhaps it was chiefly used in the US, but even that appears not to be the case; rather, 'telly' is chiefly used in the UK.

Don't Americans prefer to say 'teevee'?

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 14, 2019, 04:24:47 PM
Remember there are (well... were - I'd hope they've all died or otherwise conceded defeat) people who object vociferously to 'television' because it is derived from Greek AND Latin words.

It should be either telerama or proculvision.

I call it prude-revulsion and everyone automatically knows what I am talking about, so

NJ Uncut

Dex Sawash

NoSleep

JesusAndYourBush

And talking about different versions of words.  I've wondered for years while some people on Only Connect pronounce 'horned viper' as 'hor ned viper'.  Wassallthatabouththen?  Even the lovely Victoria Coren doesn't pronounce it that way.