Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:28:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris on the Adam Buxton podcast

Started by Beagle 2, October 13, 2019, 08:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Two parter coming next week (because he fucked up the recording on the first pass, but is still putting some of the back up recording out).

I know Morris interviews are to be expected these days around projects  but I still yelped with excitement when I heard this was happening.

Thomas

Yeah, I'm thrilled about this one. He appeared on - and later subtly castigated - Opie and Anthony's show to promote 4 Lyons, but this'll probably be the most 'free-form' interview scenario he's ever appeared in. With friendly Dr. Buckles.

AzureSky

Fantastic. I felt this might happen at some point after a podcast he did in 2017 when he mentioned that he was talking to someone who said 'it takes 7 years to make a film', but mysteriously didn't say who.

Also, I noticed Adam is credited with thanks for TDSC, not sure if anyone else has noticed this? The only other name I managed to read, out of a long-ish list, were 2 Baynham's (Peter and someone else).

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

the

Marvellous chat. Started out buoyant before later burrowing into the nuts and bolts of FBI shenanigans. I particularly enjoyed the David Attenborough techno-deflation.

Nice to hear him pour cold water on the helium incident, although the (non-Morris-related) occurrence in this clip and this article are still unnaccounted for. (Sourced from this thread.)

peanutbutter

Looking forward to this a good bit more than the film tbh

princeps

This Adam Buxton fellow, really feeding a ravenous niche in my podcast appetite - BTS stories of the 1990s British comedy cult ala Morris-Iannucci and their wider universe; anyone know where else these types of conversations have been had?

Beagle 2

Iannucci has discussed that stuff in his various appearances on podcasts like Herring, Scroobius Pip, James O'Brien.

Morris's Buxton episode (1) was fantastic, obviously. To hear him in full flow and breaking into silly voices at points is marvellous but it does make me weep a bit for the last seventeen years of inactivity as a performer. Please stop making films Chris, it takes fucking ages and you're not in them!

up_the_hampipe

Oooh, looking forward to this. It's still totally weird that he does press, although nothing will be stranger than his appearance on Jimmy Fallon back in 2010.

Do they talk about Adam & Joe's parody of Jam?

Thomas

Quote from: Beagle 2 on October 16, 2019, 11:41:57 AM
Iannucci has discussed that stuff in his various appearances on podcasts like Herring, Scroobius Pip, James O'Brien.

Morris's Buxton episode (1) was fantastic, obviously. To hear him in full flow and breaking into silly voices at points is marvellous but it does make me weep a bit for the last seventeen years of inactivity as a performer. Please stop making films Chris, it takes fucking ages and you're not in them!

I read in another thread that Morris described himself as looking like a 'Doctor Who audition reject'. There'd be no 'reject' about it.

He'd be fantastic in something like Flowers or Fleabag. It's quite amazing to think that he was in The IT Crowd, of all sitcoms, and very little else. His relatively low profile means his presence wouldn't steal the spotlight from other actors, or feel like stunt-casting (even if that's why we'd all be watching). Jesse Armstrong must've have floated a Peep Show character before him at some point. He has such a charismatic presence - and is such a good actor. His characters in Brass Eye et al are so distinguished from each other, in their voices and minute tics.

PlanktonSideburns

Buxto really is a great interviewer isn't he?

Thomas

The second ep is up, and it seems to be an excellently wide-ranging ramble.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Thomas on October 16, 2019, 06:14:13 PM
I read in another thread that Morris described himself as looking like a 'Doctor Who audition reject'. There'd be no 'reject' about it.

He'd be fantastic in something like Flowers or Fleabag. It's quite amazing to think that he was in The IT Crowd, of all sitcoms, and very little else. His relatively low profile means his presence wouldn't steal the spotlight from other actors, or feel like stunt-casting (even if that's why we'd all be watching). Jesse Armstrong must've have floated a Peep Show character before him at some point. He has such a charismatic presence - and is such a good actor. His characters in Brass Eye et al are so distinguished from each other, in their voices and minute tics.

I'd love to see him pop up in an episode of Succession, perhaps as a lawyer sent by Caroline Collingwood (mother of three of the Roy siblings) sent to ruffle some feathers in New York or something.

Lennox

I've downloaded both parts but I'm scared to listen to them in case there's spoilers to 'The Day Shall Come'.

I imagine Dr Buckles would give a warning.

the

Quote from: Lennox on October 23, 2019, 08:34:46 PMI've downloaded both parts but I'm scared to listen to them in case there's spoilers to 'The Day Shall Come'.

I imagine Dr Buckles would give a warning.

I've not seen the film yet, but can confirm that there are no spoilers in either part. Enjoy them freely

From the CM TDSC promotional appearances I've seen/heard recently, the only material that tends to contain spoilers is the Q&As which take place just after the questioning audience have seen the film.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 14, 2019, 08:39:05 PM
And here it is! https://play.acast.com/s/adambuxton/ep.104-chrismorris1

A really funny, interesting chat, it doesn't disappoint.

Is it possible to download these? I don't want to burn up my 4G wandering about listening if I can pull them down while at home...

EDIT: Nevermind! I was able to download them on my Podbean app.

Retinend

Holy crap this happened? Does the forum even care about Morris any more?

the

Quote from: Retinend on March 17, 2020, 07:26:16 PMHoly crap this happened? Does the forum even care about Morris any more?

Err, yes. Some of the discussion took place in the Adam Buxton podcast thread.

Retinend

Hm. Well I'll put my thoughts here:

part 1:

Morris has a remarkably accurate memory. The Radio 1 shows were 20 years ago yet he remembers them exactly how they happened, and is rightfully proud of his collaborations with Peter Baynam.

I was interested to hear about the relationship between him and coogan. Whereas Coogan really hit the big time, Morris remained the outsider. I think it was a pointed reveal that he had not read Coogan's autobiography. Can you not imagine reading something you probably appear in, and in fact did? I imagine there is more to this, although it's possible that he is simply out of touch with the comedy world and prefers his ""serious"" research interests (yes I'm bitter).

Which takes us to the film: the discussion was a little bit over-insistent from Morris's side. He was at pains to rebut even gentle pushback from Buxton in the form of a hypothetical response from the FBI, which might have been unconvincing if it wasn't for the tirade it provoked from Morris (53mins in). I think Buxton asked the question that haunts both this and 4 lions: something like "what exactly is then to be done if nothing is not an option?" Still, he convinces that the black israelites are probably harmless were it not for the government agents goading them.

We essentially get to sense his furious indignation at the abuse of power of the FBI, a perhaps natural evolution for his disdain for the news media as the patrician voice of authority, as expressed in his earlier career as outright satirist. He intimates shared memories with Buxton of a very patrician BBC environment (probably something he overestimates Buxton's knowledge of). He seems like there is a lot of that resentment that formed him as a person. It is humanising to see how much that specific environment shaped him so.

Luckily he seems aware that the topic of his film will not captivate most of the audience, and is positively indulgent in talking about the past, including an - again - fascinating insight into the Brass Eye days. Via "doxxing", he was put in potentially mortal danger! faced it bravely though. and makes a good point about how the journalists barely resemble the general public.  Then he  says that the pedophile special and the scathingly insulting articles about his facial scarring that came out after (unmentioned, but surely heavy in his mind) meant nothing to him because of his early experience with - whatshisface? who published his address and phone number.

Retinend

Quote from: Deyv on March 18, 2020, 09:40:33 PM
Sorry, why?

How can anyone stand such ugly pictures of oneself being published?

EBGB

Quote from: Retinend on March 19, 2020, 04:50:06 PM
How can anyone stand such ugly pictures of oneself being published?

1) That's your opinion, not necessarily his.
2) In person, his birthmark doesn't show up anywhere near as much as it does in (particularly flash) photos.
3) When you've grown up with something physical that others consider "ugly", it's their inconsiderate reactions that hurt more than the actual "defect".  Believe me, I know.
4) If he wasn't happily married, I can assure you that he'd not be lacking offers.
5) If he actually cared as much as you do, he'd work in a different industry where he'd never be photographed at all. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Interesting thoughts, although I tend to agree with the above reply in response to that particular remark.

Retinend

I only imagine how I would feel were ugly pictures of myself to be published and for that to be the general public's image of me.
Having looked at press photos for ADSC for the first time, it's true that he doesn't seem to give a shit about what people think about his condition, i.e. he consistently refuses to wear makeup (or consult a stylist...) to even tone done the effect of his marks... which is, of course, good for him.

Anyway, on to part 2:

this is actually the earlier conversation, and it shows. This conversation was thought lost and the previous podcast was recorded to make up for this loss. That second "go" was released first, not second, perhaps because it was better in audio quality. But when you record yourself a second time it is almost always comes out worse than the first. This podcast's conversation is, I'm happy to declare, superior to the other's and, to repeat that word, less "insistent" from Morris's side than he was in the first. Who knows. Perhaps Buxton was to blame: I don't know if he came across nervous about detaining Morris longer than originally intended. All pure speculation. And that is what is getting me into trouble.

By less "insistent" I mean that Morris has a lot more sparkle to his conversation when he talks about the theme of his film, specifically.

Incredibly, Morris lives very much the CaB lifestyle. He obsesses over his music collection, he reads the internet a lot, he finds it hard to get out of the house unless he is going to gigs and crossing his arms on the dancefloor. I jest. But it was certainly very charming that in spite of all his hollywood connections he portrays himself in such a humble way. Someone with far less claim to fame that he would be justified in playing up the more exciting parts of his life. Buxton drops more names! And he drops the name of some comedian I've never heard of. Guz Khan? Glad to know he's a fan of the M-dog.

I very much enjoyed the discussion of David Bowie's last album. Hearing Buxton sing "David... with his little button eyes" in his trusty comedic Bowie impersonation caught me by surprise. I had never heard anyone else make fun of that aspect of the video before. It sent me right back into mourning -but the conversation that ensued was a great consolation. Morris is right, isn't he? Those videos were hardly important to Bowie himself at the time they were released. He was not interested in their reception he was interested in making a statement to the ages. Like the great dying poets Thomas, Yeats or Milton before him, he has been able to make his own death into something vital.

I seize upon that word "vital" because it the one that Morris so epigramatically applies to Bowie's Black Star: "there's something vital you may not even like about it, but which you can't deny is for keeps". It follows what is "vital" is the man's death, and our loss of him, is now for "keeps". Maybe he didn't exactly mean what I'm interpreting him to be saying, but he is certainly someone who doesn't use any word lightly. His carollesque talent for language - in almost any register - is evident in everything he has ever done. Because he hates a conventional plot, and is not a journalist by nature, he falls between two stools through the lens of the literary establishment, yet he deserves to be remembered as a great writer and actor... and definitely a good filmmaker.

Chris Morris saw Beck live in Barcelona in 1997. Nice to know. Imagine him as a young man. What conversations did he have on that holiday as a tourist?

the

You have a tendency to project a lot of your own gubbins onto what people have said.