Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:57:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 25: Don't recall the time I felt this alive

Started by pancreas, October 15, 2019, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

honeychile

He said he wanted one as soon as no deal was off the tablet, ie once the extension has been granted.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pancreas on October 25, 2019, 12:11:01 AM
Sounds like you got a shit deal. We got Nick Brown, Pidcock, Lavery, a PPC, then Corbyn (plus the somewhat unctuous Chi Onwurah). However the live music was *terrible*.

I had a 'good' idea - lets organise 'Organs for Corbyn'

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: honeychile on October 25, 2019, 06:53:36 AM
He said he wanted one as soon as no deal was off the tablet, ie once the extension has been granted.

I think there is also a further demand there, ie. he wants it ruled out in law under any circumstances, removing any 'deadline' existing.

If the government concede that then watch Farage and his ghouls swiftly park their tanks on Boris' lawn. Their ghoul tanks. Did you get the memo? Ghouls now have tanks. Deal.

Johnny Yesno

Paul Calf

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 25, 2019, 07:00:58 AM
I had a 'good' idea - lets organise 'Organs for Corbyn'

Well he can have a kidney but I'm not giving him my corneas.

Blumf

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 25, 2019, 07:57:46 AM
If the government concede that then watch Farage and his ghouls swiftly park their tanks on Boris' lawn. Their ghoul tanks. Did you get the memo? Ghouls now have tanks. Deal.

The gammons have spam cannons and are not afraid to use them.

Replies From View

greencalx

Readers of the Guardian live feed will now be aware that Murray survived his trigger last night.

I'm still a bit perplexed by the procedure, though. It has been simultaneously said that the reselection process is automatic, but at the same time was triggered by Unite. Both can't be true. I guess it comes down to what the "formality" alluded to is. I tried reading the rule book but came back none the wiser.

Paul Calf

It's in the secret rule book that you only get if you swear allegiance to Mao, Stalin and Enver Hoxha in a midnight ceremony in Pyongyang.

pancreas

Quote from: greencalx on October 25, 2019, 09:28:41 AM
Readers of the Guardian live feed will now be aware that Murray survived his trigger last night.

I'm still a bit perplexed by the procedure, though. It has been simultaneously said that the reselection process is automatic, but at the same time was triggered by Unite. Both can't be true. I guess it comes down to what the "formality" alluded to is. I tried reading the rule book but came back none the wiser.

You need a third of all affiliates to the CLP OR a third of all branches who meet to vote, to vote in favour of a ballot. So if Unite were the only affiliate to vote, or the only one of at most 3 who voted, then they would be enough to trigger.

jobotic

Eh? Is Johnson avoiding parliament again? Is that what you're referring to?

Jerzy Bondov

Must mean bottler Boris's bottled Brexit 'do or die' deadline disaster

olliebean

Has anyone in this government ever seen a chicken?

Buelligan

BlodwynPig

jobotic

greencalx

Quote from: pancreas on October 25, 2019, 10:17:17 AM
You need a third of all affiliates to the CLP OR a third of all branches who meet to vote, to vote in favour of a ballot. So if Unite were the only affiliate to vote, or the only one of at most 3 who voted, then they would be enough to trigger.

No. I understand that. The question is how you get to this point in the first place.

We were asked the question "should we move to open selection". It needed 1/3rd of branches or affiliates to move to that stage. What precipitated asking this question? It was said this is automatic, but nothing was said about the timing.

BlodwynPig

pancreas

Quote from: greencalx on October 25, 2019, 12:39:47 PM
No. I understand that. The question is how you get to this point in the first place.

We were asked the question "should we move to open selection". It needed 1/3rd of branches or affiliates to move to that stage. What precipitated asking this question? It was said this is automatic, but nothing was said about the timing.

I imagine Branch Secs can be asked to (or must?) call a re-selection meeting. I guess the same with affiliates. This part should be automatic, to determine if the MP is to be triggered. Having said that, I'm a Unite member and I've never been asked to go to a re-selection meeting (maybe it's done by officials ...). Anyway, if Unite were the only affiliate to call one, or it was the only one which was quorate, then that would be enough to trigger the open selection.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Freedland in The Guardian today.

You will never guess what

Go on

He reckons we should get rid of Jeremy Corbyn

Thank you Jonathan for the article

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Why does the right think we can't read polls?

Yes Labour are doing badly, but we know there is an existential task at the heart of British politics to ensure Corbyn never takes power. And this time there is no resurgent Tory party. Boris has a good chance of doing less well than May if the Brexit Party split their vote, and Remainers see a genuine chance to end this mess.  And there are no magic money tree arguments this time. We are now post deficit, politically.

And his bollocks about Corbyn being novelty value last time doesn't work given he had been slagged off for 2 years prior to the election and gone through a very public leadership challenge.

We shouldn't underestimate the threat, but we win if we are  shining brighter and clearer. So fuck off cunt.

Dr Rock

Kelvin

I'm not reading that cunts article, but I am of the opinion that Corbyn has has been tarnished by Brexit in a way that the right wingers never managed via other lines of attack. One reason I don't want an election pre-Brexit is because either Labour win a slim minority government that can do fuck all, and end up blamed for whatever happens post-Brexit, or we lose, Corbyn stands down and the next left wing leader gets damaged by the fight over Brexit as well. Far better for the Tories to take us out, carry the responsibility, then a new left wing leader takes over and rebuilds some of that excitement that was there for Corbyn before Brexit sucked all the air out of the room.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think that's assuming the immediate aftermath of Brexit is awful. If there's a deal then things won't massively change for lots of UK born residents straight away. In fact I reckon he will get a bounce and credit for seeing the issue over the threshold.

It's definitely worth fully supporting Corbyn while also conceiving of and talking about a successor like Clive Lewis who would marmalise Boris while not rowing back too far on Corbynism.

Kelvin

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 25, 2019, 08:02:18 PM
I think that's assuming the immediate aftermath of Brexit is awful. If there's a deal then things won't massively change for lots of UK born residents straight away. In fact I reckon he will get a bounce and credit for seeing the issue over the threshold.

I agree, but I still think it would be better for Labour to face an election after Brexit has been completed by the Tories. At least they'd be fighting on policy ground they're strongest on then.   

QuoteIt's definitely worth fully supporting Corbyn while also conceiving of and talking about a successor like Clive Lewis who would marmalise Boris while not rowing back too far on Corbynism.

Yes, I obviously still support Corbyn and want him to win over the alternatives, but if we're talking about the ideal situation, I believe that a new left wing leader fighting an election some time after Brexit, but building on the foundations laid by Corbyn is what we should be targeting. And I no longer believe that Clive Lewis is the ideal choice for that.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm just terrified that if Corbyn doesn't manage to do well, it'll be used as evidence that bringing Labour back as a left-wing party was a failed experiment, and it'll be used to instil some 'sensible' centrist bellend like Jess Philips rather than I dunno, Laura Pidcock.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Kelvin on October 25, 2019, 08:38:21 PM
I agree, but I still think it would be better for Labour to face an election after Brexit has been completed by the Tories. At least they'd be fighting on policy ground they're strongest on then.   

Yes, I obviously still support Corbyn and want him to win over the alternatives, but if we're talking about the ideal situation, I believe that a new left wing leader fighting an election some time after Brexit, but building on the foundations laid by Corbyn is what we should be targeting. And I no longer believe that Clive Lewis is the ideal choice for that.

But I really don't want Brexit. People will die.