Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:23:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 25: Don't recall the time I felt this alive

Started by pancreas, October 15, 2019, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: Replies From View on November 08, 2019, 07:15:23 AM
The one problem with this is I would be shit at canvassing and ruin it for everyone.

That's why I haven't done it.

kitsofan34

You could leaflet, which would still have the desired effect but keep you away from the general public. Or you could "board run", filling in the data that the actual canvassers do. There's plenty one can do!

idunnosomename

I woke up to margaret hodge today one of the most self-deluded and evil people in the party and now im grumpy

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 08, 2019, 08:59:32 AM
I woke up to margaret hodge today one of the most self-deluded and evil people in the party and now im grumpy

did she at least make breakfast?

idunnosomename

i

i cant play along with it. it was on the radio. i hadnt had sex with her.

Quote from: Pie Pie Eater on November 08, 2019, 12:18:03 AM
Are you canvassing? I highly recommend it to stay positive. As well as spending a lot more time with other people being positive, to some extent you get the same effect as a shitposter being de-anonymised- people just become (or seem) a lot more reasonable. This is really helping me. I couldn't do it in 2017, and was much more pessimistic about things until the night of the result.

Yeah, was out canvassing for the first time in Altrincham at the weekend. Enjoyed it despite unsurprisingly there not being much enthusiasm for Labour.

lipsink

The Guardian says who the favourites are to take over from Watson: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/07/who-are-the-favourites-to-take-over-as-labour-deputy-leader

Please not Jess fucking Phillips. Where is Laura Pidcock?

greencalx

It would be fun for Jess to be in the contest, so that she can be roundly defeated by the membership.

lipsink

She's certainly well qualified as she has enough experience of slagging Corbyn off in the press.

king_tubby

Heh at the people trolling Phillips by telling her to run. It'll be Liz Kendall all over again.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Butler will defo be a good choice, I don't rate her that highly intellectually but you can't argue with 100 from 51 balls.

imitationleather

"A one-time teenage mother, her backstory terrifies Conservative opponents and appeals to Labour members."

It's true. If there's one thing we love, it's a teenage mother.

NoSleep

imitationleather

Jess Phillips will be interested once she sees how many hours the role has allocated for dancing.

That's the reason Watson lost so much weight while in the position.

phantom_power

Any of the 3 that aren't Phillips would be good as they would be unlikely to undermine the leadership like Watson has. That is all the deputy needs to do really

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: lipsink on November 08, 2019, 12:58:12 PM
The Guardian says who the favourites are to take over from Watson: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/07/who-are-the-favourites-to-take-over-as-labour-deputy-leader

Where is Laura Pidcock?

Just shows how completely clueless and detached from the party that shitrag is. It's not like LP is some weird cult figure, Corbyn has been moving her centre stage for a while now. You can tell she's a genuine contender by the way the likes of Sponk slate her on twitter.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Prezza doesn't seem so bad now we have had Watson. Prescott is  classic example of a guy who understood the role of deputy and someone from the Blair years who has stayed scrupulously supportive in public of Corbyn.

greencalx

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 08, 2019, 02:02:55 PM
Just shows how completely clueless and detached from the party that shitrag is. It's not like LP is some weird cult figure, Corbyn has been moving her centre stage for a while now. You can tell she's a genuine contender by the way the likes of Sponk slate her on twitter.

That said - is the DL position a stepping stone to full leadership? It doesn't really seem to be, so maybe LP is biding her time until a successor is needed??

Buelligan

I agree but ask whether we have to keep doing things the way they were done in the past?  IMO, Pidcock would be a great choice but I'm happy to wait and have her go straight to Leader one day too (as long as we don't have Dancing Queen II.  That is right out.).

I agree it should be Laura Pidcock, but I'd be happy with someone like Angela Rayner or Diane Butler too. There is no way Jess Phillips should get anywhere near it. The Guardian are living out their own version of reality where New Labour centrism was a massive success and everybody is desperately trying to get back there and free themselves from the evil corbyn regime. The bbc too. Its so blatant. They never seem to legitimise anyone pro corbyn, as if they don't exist. These people never moved on from the personality politics of the 90's/00's, and yet at the time they derided it.

Replies From View

Quote from: king_tubby on November 08, 2019, 01:20:11 PM
Heh at the people trolling Phillips by telling her to run. It'll be Liz Kendall all over again.

IT'S LIKE SEXISM ALL OVER AGAIN

jamiefairlie

Quote from: greencalx on November 08, 2019, 02:32:36 PM
That said - is the DL position a stepping stone to full leadership? It doesn't really seem to be, so maybe LP is biding her time until a successor is needed??

I don't think anyone has ever moved from deputy to leader, have they? It's like a dead-end consolation prize for the wing of the party that's out of favour at that time.

imitationleather

New folder

Quote from: thugler on November 07, 2019, 09:08:27 PM
For the record i doubt he is an antisemite, but he's fucked it.

Antisemite he is not, but an egotist he is.

idunnosomename

I think the thing is, while people like Stephen Pollard and Margaret Hodge act in fully-aware bad will in weaponising anti-semitism, there will be members of the ultra-orthodox Jewish community (I read this a few months ago when I was living near one of these areas and found it interesting: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/8326339/Inside-the-private-world-of-Londons-ultra-Orthodox-Jews.html ) who are legitimately concerned. Saying it's all bullshit so publicly doesn't really help assuage their fears. I mean on a egalitarian solidarity basis, labour should be working for everyone.

Williamson wasn't wrong (it is mostly media bullshit) but he handled it badly and went against the party line in doing so.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Buelligan on November 08, 2019, 10:55:17 PM
She's bloody great, isn't she.

Yeah. I really like the way she openly laughs at the stupidity of interviewers and tories. She made some sarcy quip on QT about some tory "only being racist half the time" or something and it was great.

jobotic

Any of those who aren't Philips would be fine with me. I like Rayner in education though. Would love to see her as education secretary.

I think they should give the job to a bourbon cream, they'd have to keep it away from Corbyn though!