Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:52:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 25: Don't recall the time I felt this alive

Started by pancreas, October 15, 2019, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: thugler on October 23, 2019, 10:31:05 AM
Just listened to james o brian for a minute.

Immediately pivoting to moaning about corbyn

'It looks like they will go for an election rather than a 2nd referendum and I'll never understand why'

Because there is no majority for one ffs.

Somebody needs to phone him up on-air, armed with political questions and prepared with sounds of fruit machines and audiences clapping, and pretend he's suddenly taking part in a quiz show called 'Thick or Disingenuous?'

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Replies From View on October 23, 2019, 01:46:27 PM
Somebody needs to phone him up on-air, armed with political questions and prepared with sounds of fruit machines and audiences clapping, and pretend he's suddenly taking part in a quiz show called 'Thick or Disingenuous?'

Laughed out loud at this. Someone make it happen.

phantom_power

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 23, 2019, 02:35:12 PM
fbpe twitter would be hilarious if it wasnt so goddamned dangerous

https://twitter.com/mcashmanCBE/status/1186723724411723776

Cunt's got the day he left the Labour party in his Twitter bio

Blue Jam

This was a surprise:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-50146805

Iain Murray seems like a hands-on, hard-working local MP but he only won by a narrow margin over the SNP candidate in the last election, having had a few very comfortable victories before that, and criticising Corbyn and using language like "hard-left Marxist"... He could do quite well as an independent but I'll be voting SNP again.

greencalx

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 23, 2019, 08:21:17 PM
This was a surprise:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-50146805

Iain Murray seems like a hands-on, hard-working local MP but he only won by a narrow margin over the SNP candidate in the last election, having had a few very comfortable victories before that, and criticising Corbyn and using language like "hard-left Marxist"...

I've known about this for a couple of weeks - intrigued as to why it's taken so long to reach the press.

What you say is not quite accurate. His majority was 15,000 in the 2017 election. You're probably thinking of the 2015 "SNP breaks the swingometer" election where the majority was 2,500 and he was the sole remaining Labour MP in Scotland. In 2010, when he was first elected, the majority was 1,500.

It's true both that he is a hard-working local MP, and that he swings to the right of the party (seen playing football with Jim Murphy and an admirer of the Gapes). I can't see the trigger being successful - and to be honest, given how Labour are polling in Scotland, it would be madness to replace one of the few MPs who stands a reasonable chance of keeping their seat, no matter which faction they identify with.

Johnny Yesno

jamiefairlie

There's just something about Ian Murray that annoys me, can't think what it could possibly be....

Blue Jam

Quote from: greencalx on October 23, 2019, 09:03:02 PM
What you say is not quite accurate. His majority was 15,000 in the 2017 election. You're probably thinking of the 2015 "SNP breaks the swingometer" election where the majority was 2,500 and he was the sole remaining Labour MP in Scotland.

Oh aye, you're right, it was the 2015 election I had been thinking of, cheers.

KennyMonster

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 23, 2019, 08:36:58 PM
https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1187038890663780353?s=19

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1187047054713016320?s=19

I'm running out of obscenities to describe some of the PLP.

Those tweets are v depressing.

Not just about not wanting a GE but the stuff about the EHRC might have something to finish off Corbyn.

I don't think they will have anything of substance but I now am worrying that anything they say will be spun enough to oust him.

Fuck.

greencalx

I'd been wondering when the EHRC verdict was due.

I'm wondering if the centrists are more afraid of an exoneration, since this would weaken them somewhat. But if that were the  case, I'm not sure why delaying an election till afterwards would help.

NoSleep

The EHRC verdict is not on Corbyn but the Labour Party. Even if it turned out that the Labour Party are the worst thing since the Third Reich I still don't think there'll be any direct link to his leadership.

greencalx

I guess that depends on whether any comment is made about how long-standing the issues are. If they claim a rise in incidence and a worsening of procedure since 2015, then that wouldn't look good for Corbyn. If it's the other way round, that wouldn't look good for Corbyn either.

Paul Calf

Exactly. Whichever way it goes, it'll be pinned on Corbyn. The only thing we can do really is hope that it's not impactful enough.

thugler

JoB being completely disingenuous on Corbyn again, shouting down anyone who suggests otherwise. Claiming that he wants to leave unequivocally and that his policy is unknown or mysterious somehow.

kittens

going to see the corbynator perform LIVE in bristol tonight. never seen the man in person before. i wonder how inspired i will end up being.

kittens

also can someone explain the title of this thread to me. is it a gag

Quote from: kittens on October 24, 2019, 11:08:39 AM
also can someone explain the title of this thread to me. is it a gag

It's a line from "Wake up Boo" by the Boo Radleys.  Nothing more than that.

greencalx

Quote from: thugler on October 24, 2019, 10:29:38 AM
JoB being completely disingenuous on Corbyn again, shouting down anyone who suggests otherwise. Claiming that he wants to leave unequivocally and that his policy is unknown or mysterious somehow.

He (Corbyn) has a funny way of showing it - whipping against the Tory withdrawal bills, and committed now to a public vote.

NoSleep

He has forced the LibDems into a corner so that they have to abstain from voting against NHS privatisation to show their ire against Labour; so Corbyn's fault of course.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on October 24, 2019, 12:40:14 PM
He has forced the LibDems into a corner so that they have to abstain from voting against NHS privatisation to show there ire against Labour; so Corbyn's fault of course.

Oh, they hate that NHS privatisation malarkey, do the Lib Dems. Literally twisting their arms to get them to abstain, he is.

honeychile

Quote from: kittens on October 24, 2019, 11:04:20 AM
going to see the corbynator perform LIVE in bristol tonight. never seen the man in person before. i wonder how inspired i will end up being.

I am going too.

u will find me in the moshpit

pancreas

kittens

jeremy christ didn't show up 'too busy in politics' yeah right. there were two musical artists who were both fine but added nothing of any kind of note to proceedings. mr richard burgers did a rousing speech and now i'm off to do some midnight canvassing.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: kittens on October 24, 2019, 10:47:51 PM
there were two musical artists who were both fine but added nothing of any kind of note to proceedings.

I would have expected musical artists to have added some kind of note. Are you sure they weren't mime artists?

honeychile

Yeah, this

Quote from: honeychile on October 24, 2019, 06:31:44 PMu will find me in the moshpit

wasn't actually as far off as i was expecting although the bands weren't heartbeat-raising (Lande Hekt was a pretty good performer, though).

They emailed us yesterday to say it was being held at Motion. It'd be funny if their burger place was open for it, i thought. It was. And security was tighter than i was expecting too, minus the scary police dogs though.

Two bands played, interspersed with speeches from Bristol's mayor Marvin Rees. Then we had the leader of Stroud council, then two local PPCs. Then the regional head of Unison gave a pretty funny speech, before breaking the news that Corbyn wasn't gonna be playing. Then Burgon gave quite a long and decent speech, then a video message from Corbyn... and then they introduced the next live act. By this point it was 2200 so i scarpered along with most of the crowd (i would have stayed if i didn't have work tomorrow). Pretty good night all in.

There's probably good outreach to be done with typical club nights at venues like this if we can be creative about it, especially with Labour's proposals about live music to bandy around.

pancreas

Sounds like you got a shit deal. We got Nick Brown, Pidcock, Lavery, a PPC, then Corbyn (plus the somewhat unctuous Chi Onwurah). However the live music was *terrible*.

Sebastian Cobb