Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:58:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Been bingeing the American Office

Started by Cuellar, October 16, 2019, 07:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 08, 2019, 11:15:28 PM
I like Amy Poehler, but my god the oddly unplaceable smugness radiating off that show, I still don't really know what it is about it that irritates me. What bothers me about 50% of The Office US bothers me about all of Parks and Rec. Ron Swanson is alright by me. Everyone else can kind of piss off. Especially Aziz Ansari's character. Every character is written as finding him ''creepy and annoying but loveable'' as that's the kind of character they want the viewer to see but where the fuck is the loveability, I don't think Aziz is capable of emoting in that way full stop
It's what every multi-millionaire in America wishes the plebs were like

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 07, 2019, 01:09:13 PMbut by Se09 , Kevin was this lumbering, massively stupid, near brain-damaged creature, and Meredith was...well....a massive shameless slapper and heavy drinker.

tbf by S2 Meredith is drunk at work and propositioning coworkers (including by stripping in the office), and in S4 Beadie off The Wire is told & believes that Kevin is a special needs placement.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 09, 2019, 02:26:20 AM
I know Aziz was Metooed, but who was the other one? (Unless you mean Louis CK, who I didn't really count as he was only a minor recurring guest role).

Yeah I meant Louis CK, which I admit is a bit of a fudge as he's only in about half a season. Rob Lowe has skirted close to being cancelled in recent years though when his skeezier past behaviour has been picked over so maybe between them it adds up to a full one?

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2019/10/24/rob-lowe-calls-sex-tape-scandal-involving-16-year-old-girl-the-best-thing-thats-ever-happened-to-me-and-twitter-reacts/23846073/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvLnVrLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGlVksOE2Whs01hYeOlJ1hEB8DpIQyu4hPBNYYBCAYTDZPz8jErr5tCMu3vpvirBeq9oKc3kk4uRLUB0se-1jqJLLxD4IxI7VC-xH-gxuaJEvObwi8fdrfQgFllZldrMXeeXWDFmCGTY2-2UTOW5x4mBZ0xxWmt_mDKKmwjOvOG2

Bad Ambassador

DrGreggles

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Cuellar on November 08, 2019, 10:38:10 AM
Yeah, Kevin is shite. I hate 'stupid' characters in sticoms anyway. 'Durrr what this do boss' groan. Dougal in Father Ted might be an exception, but even he gets on my tits quite a bit.

Erin goes the same way in that she's written as being ridiculously dumb in a way that nobody would be in real life.

Life over burns victim dogshit munching aids wraith tier opinions on this heartwarming funny show.

Dog Botherer

Oscar goes from being a fairly normal put upon gay guy to literally stealing Angela's husband and being a totally insufferable pedant. that's just good writing baby.

Andy and Erin fucking suuuuck. their relationship is entirely stupid and unbelieveable, and while Erin was always shit, she dragged down Andy, who started out as a great weird fuck of a character. i firmly believe that her joining the cast was the tipping point.

have a lot of time for David Wallace. the Suck It song with his kid is so fucking funny.

BritishHobo

At least that plot with Oscar and Angela had good payoff with Kevin, when he bollocks the Senator for using Kevin's friends.

God, remember when Angela reveals her baby is Dwight's, and that it's all been a test to see if he loves her? Mad shit.

Armin Meiwes

Tbf I guess it just proves is that you can only write so many series of a sitcom before the comedy inevitably dries up and you just have to come up with increasingly unrealistic character behaviour to try to wring a last few drops. I mean even CYE turned to absolute shite in the end (did ANYONE actually like that last series?)

Utter Shit

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on November 09, 2019, 04:50:25 PM
Erin goes the same way in that she's written as being ridiculously dumb in a way that nobody would be in real life.

WHAT ELSE YOU GOT

Armin Meiwes

And yes Erin probably was where it properly started turning to shite (although a symptom not so much the cause).

Bronzy

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on November 09, 2019, 04:50:25 PM

Almost like it's a fictional comedy, eh?

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Dog Botherer on November 10, 2019, 06:26:59 AM
have a lot of time for David Wallace. the Suck It song with his kid is so fucking funny.

Agreed. Very much an ally - I appreciate his empathy to Michael.

Cuellar

Quote from: Bronzy on November 11, 2019, 05:07:48 PM
Almost like it's a fictional comedy, eh?

But it's meant to be a DOCUMENTARY

Jim Bob

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on November 11, 2019, 01:24:33 PM
I mean even CYE turned to absolute shite in the end (did ANYONE actually like that last series?)

I certainly didn't.  I tried to give it a second chance by rewatching it a couple of months ago.  I made it one and a half episodes in and gave up.  It's fucking atrocious.

Cuellar

Just learnt via reddit that a significant force behind things like Parks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and indeed The Office was none other than the guy that plays Mose!

All this shit is his fault!

Quote from: Cuellar on November 13, 2019, 10:10:33 AM
Just learnt via reddit that a significant force behind things like Parks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and indeed The Office was none other than the guy that plays Mose!

All this shit is his fault!

Creator of The Good Place as well. Impressive CV.

Cuellar

In the same way that Adolf Eichmann's CV was impressive, yes.

cliggg

The full 25 minutes of Threat Level Midnight has been uploaded to YouTube. It's highly amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iPyz6Yqwl4

poo

Bingeing this now for the first time. 50-odd episodes in. Haven't formed an opinion yet.

neveragain

I'm finding it delightful (just passed Michael Scott's departure). Started at Season 2 as I remember it took a little while to take shape. Totally different from the original Office but hilarious, characterful, sweet (though not without darker jokes) and just lovely. Great cast but Steve Carrell and Rainn Wilson are outstanding.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: neveragain on February 08, 2021, 05:41:40 PM
Started at Season 2 as I remember it took a little while to take shape.

Agreed - I find both with this and Parks And Recreation, if you're recommending either to someone give them the gist of the first season and advise to start with Season 2, otherwise they're more likely to be put off pretty quickly.

poo

Quote from: neveragain on February 08, 2021, 05:41:40 PM
Great cast but Steve Carrell and Rainn Wilson are outstanding.

Yeah they're really good

NoSleep

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 08, 2021, 05:45:19 PM
Agreed - I find both with this and Parks And Recreation, if you're recommending either to someone give them the gist of the first season and advise to start with Season 2, otherwise they're more likely to be put off pretty quickly.

But then they'd miss the explanations of the various paintings about the history of Pawnee dotted around season 1. The one episode I despise is the Venezuela one (not in season 1). Oh, and Louis CK. And I bet Ron Swanson voted for Trump, which spoils the whole thing in retrospect.

NoSleep

That's given me a glimmer of hope for a rewatch.

Offerman's stretching the point though.

El Unicornio, mang

I thought it was consistently good, particularly when they got past the first season and go in their own direction, but a massive fall-off when Carrell left.

Drygate

I've actually watched this whole thing twice.

I do actually like it but it definitely starts falling apart towards the end.

Also Jim is a massive smug twat. He's supposed to be the hero of the show but is pretty messed up, buying a surprise house for his mrs, investing all their money without telling her etc https://www.ranker.com/list/jim-halpert-is-a-scumbag/jacob-shelton

Bronzy

Quote from: Drygate on February 08, 2021, 07:52:59 PM
I've actually watched this whole thing twice.

I do actually like it but it definitely starts falling apart towards the end.

Also Jim is a massive smug twat. He's supposed to be the hero of the show but is pretty messed up, buying a surprise house for his mrs, investing all their money without telling her etc https://www.ranker.com/list/jim-halpert-is-a-scumbag/jacob-shelton

Americans love them though.

See Also: Ricky Gervais.