Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:39:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Been bingeing the American Office

Started by Cuellar, October 16, 2019, 07:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

I find the fact they've been filming for years with no clear goal quite funny.

Reading the excellent above-mentioned Oral History book, it's interesting to note their critical consensus that the last season is a return to form. There are many enjoyable moments (the soap opera elements were quite gripping, I also like that Jim and Dwight become friends) but it gets far too silly, and Clark/Peter have no character to them, Catherine Tate was given nowt to do, Andy and Erin's charming relationship was slaughtered needlessly. The list goes on and on.

Dwight firing a shotgun into his aunt's coffin was quite an arresting image.

Rolf Lundgren

What's everyone's opinion on the Scott's Tots episode? I loved it but was reading online that a lot of people find it horrible to watch so skip it when re-watching. It does show Michael at his optimistic worst and is painfully dragged out to maximise his embarrassment but I like all that. You could argue it's the most UK influenced episode of the whole run in that it's exactly the type of thing Brent would do and the humour is purely through the awkwardness of it.

neveragain

Very much enjoyed it but it certainly relies on cringe, and I can see why it would put people off.

TommyTurnips

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on February 22, 2021, 12:11:09 AM
What's everyone's opinion on the Scott's Tots episode? I loved it but was reading online that a lot of people find it horrible to watch so skip it when re-watching. It does show Michael at his optimistic worst and is painfully dragged out to maximise his embarrassment but I like all that. You could argue it's the most UK influenced episode of the whole run in that it's exactly the type of thing Brent would do and the humour is purely through the awkwardness of it.

The one where
Spoiler alert
he sponsors a bunch of kids from an urban area and promises that he will pay for their college tuition because he believes he will be rich when they're grown up and then he has to break the news to them?
[close]
Yeah, that was harsh. Micheal had a sort of stupid child like naivety to him.

St_Eddie

The best episode is the dinner party one with Michael and Jan.  Some first class cringe and fine character work in that...

See here...

...and here.

Mobius

^probably my favourite episode yeah. Michael + Jan was 'peak office'

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on February 22, 2021, 12:11:09 AM
It's definitely a break from the sentiment. It's nice to show that Michael Scott being an idiot can have real-world consequences, for one episode only, in the middle of what's not really a great time for the show. You can also argue how much the kids are deliberately deceiving themselves when they should know Michael is not going to come through, which gives it an extra depth (it's a while since I've seen it, but some reviews discuss this).

Replies From View

Quote from: Mobius on February 22, 2021, 01:32:24 AM
^probably my favourite episode yeah. Michael + Jan was 'peak office'

Favourite moment for me in that episode is Michael moving the flat screen back to create a larger room.