Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:44:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Short Treks

Started by Mobbd, October 17, 2019, 10:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

What's up with Short Treks, eh?

I read something on a website about a new episode involving Tribbles and H. John Benjamin. For some reason (well, HJB obviously) I decided to give it a go.

This was noteworthy as the first time I've wanted to watch New Trek since giving up on Discovery halfway through the first season on the grounds of it being moronic.

But then I struggled to find it at all.

I eventually found the first season of Short Treks on Netflix inside the Discovery show menu under "trailers and more," thus helping to confirm in my mind that Short Treks isn't a real series like Wikipedia suggests, but just some cynical piss made on the Discovery marketing tab and worthy of the same burning bin as After Trek. Urgh.

Googling reveals that the new Season 2 of Short Treks is on Amazon Prime. I don't care for Prime.

So I won't see it. It's a ten-minute film about Tribbles. It's not even worth firing up the Pirating Machine for that.

Fuck New Trek. Fuck it! Fuck the way it's written, the way it's produced, the way it's marketed, and the way it's organised/streamed/broadcast.

Bollocks, pizzle, wee-wee.

Alberon

We've been covering them in the Star Trek Discovery thread appropriately enough. Though there's nothing wrong with a separate thread especially as the Discovery one was for season 2 and getting a bit old.

The whole point of Short Treks seems to be that there will be some new bit of Trek each month on CBS' streaming service in the States. Most of them play like some deleted scene from a proper episode with only the Harry Mudd one being any good.

Don't worry about the Tribble short trek as its fucking awful. It completely wastes Rosa Salazar who was in Alita Battle Angel and the superb Undone as well.

Going forward they're branching out from Discovery. The third Pike-era Enterprise one is next, followed by two animated ones and finally we get a Picard prequel.

Small Man Big Horse

I quite liked the tribbles one, I mean it's shit when it comes to Star Trek but as a stand alone sci-fi short film it's pretty funny, and Jon Benjamin's on top form as the completely twatty biologist responsible for making the tribbles the monstrous self replicating beasts that they're best known as. The ending is darkly funny too, even if it is quite cruel and again not very Trek-like.

Edit: Forgot to mention the post credits fake advert. Christ, that really was awful, I've no idea what they were thinking there.

olliebean

I just realised the first two of this series don't depend on having watched Discovery at all. I wonder if that's deliberate; from what I recall, the first lot depended on some familiarity with characters introduced in Discovery, whilst these two are riffs on characters and creatures from TOS.

Alberon

Well they all come from the Pike-era Enterprise introduced in Discovery, but the Short Treks are moving out from just Discovery. It's likely the two animated ones won't be directly connected to Discovery and the last is a prequel to the Picard show.

But I don't think they'll ever stray too far from whatever live-action shows are on, if only because budgetary constraints mean they're likely to use whatever standing sets they have around at the time.

olliebean

It's news to me that there are two animated ones.

Mobbd

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 17, 2019, 06:24:02 PM
Edit: Forgot to mention the post credits fake advert. Christ, that really was awful, I've no idea what they were thinking there.

Jesus. I think I might be done.

Mobbd

Quote from: Alberon on October 17, 2019, 05:54:19 PM
We've been covering them in the Star Trek Discovery thread appropriately enough. Though there's nothing wrong with a separate thread especially as the Discovery one was for season 2 and getting a bit old.

The whole point of Short Treks seems to be that there will be some new bit of Trek each month on CBS' streaming service in the States. Most of them play like some deleted scene from a proper episode with only the Harry Mudd one being any good.

Don't worry about the Tribble short trek as its fucking awful. It completely wastes Rosa Salazar who was in Alita Battle Angel and the superb Undone as well.

Going forward they're branching out from Discovery. The third Pike-era Enterprise one is next, followed by two animated ones and finally we get a Picard prequel.

Thanks Alberon. I hadn't been following the Disco thread, though I do keep an eye on the Tarantino Star Trek thread and will follow the Picard one too. Apologies for not thinking to check first (and cheers for the info).

Alberon

The next Short Trek is out. It's the third of the Pike-era Enterprise ones and is equally as pointless as the others. If you don't guess the ending you should hand in your latex Spock ears immediately. The best bit of the whole eight minutes is the split-second shot of the Enterprise in the very short trailer for the next two animated Short Treks coming in December.

Malcy

That was awful. What in the fuck is going on with Pike's hair?! Pike's Enterprise must be massive if THAT is Engineering. Surprised there's room for quarters.

Scotty wouldn't be arsed running around the size of that.

Can't be arsed with the animated ones. Big eyed Pixar shite and one that looks like the 70's series but is about a Tardigrade and a Pixar style Robot.

Just give me the Picard prequel.

Malcy

Still no sign of this month's episodes online anywhere. Usually uploaded pretty quick so I wonder why. I don't mind this month but if the Picard prequel next month is the same it'll be annoying.

I wonder have Amazon Prime secured the rights to show that episode at least.

Small Man Big Horse

Someone's uploaded it to RarBg today.

Malcy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 14, 2019, 09:39:40 AM
Someone's uploaded it to RarBg today.

Saw they went up in the middle of the night. Will check them out later today.

Alberon

Watched the Ephraim and Dot one which was fucking awful. Cartoon style antics around ill-advised homages to TOS episodes.

Animated doesn't have to mean cartoon. A properly budgeted animated series could be used to make new episodes of TOS, TNG or others, but so far TPTB seem to be keeping that back for a comedy and a kids show. I think they're missing a trick.

Alberon

Just watched the other one. It was a story (african myth?) being told to Burnham as a girl by her dad.

Barely Star Trek at all. What are they playing at with these Short Treks? This second batch has been uniformly awful.

Malcy

I genuinely wish Star Trek hadn't come back now. The Girl Who Made The Stars wasn't Star Trek. Wasted opportunity to tell a Trek story. Not an opportunity to brag and applaud themselves like I've seen on Twitter for having a black writer writing the first all black acted story. Fuck off.

Second one had a good animation style and I liked the nods to TOS music but it was so shit. Those fucking Wall-E robots from Discovery are Disney shite. So they refitted the Enterprise and didn't notice eggs in the Engine room that was completely redesigned unlike what they showed here? Someone was asleep on the job if an asteroid could smack off the hull as well.

I know that sounds petty amd so nitpicky but it's been the little things that are so unnecessarily wrong and so easy to get right that have been a big issue with Discovery.

Picard really is the last hope for Trek for me. I was sceptical at first, then beyond excited after the trailers but now stuff like this has knocked it down again for me. I'm beginning to think it will end up like the way I've felt about last 10 years of Doctor Who. Little moments of greatness surrounded by utter shite and propped up by good actors.

Mobbd

Quote from: Alberon on December 14, 2019, 04:51:09 PM
Animated doesn't have to mean cartoon. A properly budgeted animated series could be used to make new episodes of TOS, TNG or others

Such a good point. I've been wondering for years why they don't do that. Genuinely. I remember seeing TAS as a kid and thinking "oh, it's like a bit more TOS," and hoping they might do it with TNG too (in the naive way some of us assumed there would be a DS9 theatrical film some day). It would surely be welcome now more than ever. I mean, why not? Come on!

When the new Lower Decks animated series was announced, I assumed it would be about the low-ranking crew of the Enterprise D alongside the events of original TNG episodes. So while, say, the main cast are dealing with Farpoint Station or Lore or the Borg or whatever, we see Ensigns Joe and Blow running the ship and hanging around Ten Forward and dealing with their own problems alongside the higher-profile events. Obviously, this isn't what they're doing. But the Short Trek being described here sounds as though it's this idea integrated alongside Space Seed?