Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:00:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Analogue Pocket: Dockable, high-end Game Boy

Started by Huxleys Babkins, October 17, 2019, 12:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Look at this beauty:

https://www.analogue.co/pocket/

$199

QuoteA multi-video-game-system portable handheld. A digital audio workstation with a built-in synthesizer and sequencer. A tribute to portable gaming. Out of the box, Pocket is compatible with the 2,780+ Game Boy, Game Boy Color & Game Boy Advance game cartridge library. Pocket works with cartridge adapters for other handheld systems, too. Like Game Gear. Neo Geo Pocket Color. Atari Lynx & more. Completely engineered in *two FPGAs.

Pocket is designed around a first-in-class 3.5", 615 ppi, LCD. With a 1600x1440 resolution, Pocket has 10x the resolution of an original Game Boy.

Put your Pocket into Dock and it outputs directly to your HDTV. Sync up any wireless 8BitDo Bluetooth controller directly to Dock for wireless play. You can also connect controllers directly via wired USB, too.

Additionally, the system is open for homebrew developers to bring their own FPGA emulators, so potentially it'll do everything up to low-end NeoGeo. Once they "unofficially" release the jailbreak firmware, you'll be able to load ROMs off of a MicroSD too.

Fucking want.

madhair60

I'll take it if I can load up roms. No interest in collecting.

Famous Mortimer

The thought of having to re-buy 30 year old games is a bit of a non-starter for me. Hacking a PSP and loading it with everything has been a great decision and I'm very glad I did it.

Twed

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 17, 2019, 04:58:13 PM
The thought of having to re-buy 30 year old games is a bit of a non-starter for me. Hacking a PSP and loading it with everything has been a great decision and I'm very glad I did it.

You won't have to. If it's like the other Analogue consoles, a totally unofficial and absolutely not made by Analogue, honest, firmware will turn up on Reddit after a couple of months that will let you load ROMs from MicroSD card.

SavageHedgehog

I'm somewhat interested for "as advertised" reasons as I have a pretty decent collection of GB and GBA carts, most of which were bought 10-12 years ago when they were being resold for pittance. I also have a childhood collection of Game Gear games and no working Game Gear and I'm somewhat interested in Neo Geo Pocket Colour stuff but never enough to want to buy the hardware.

However I still have a couple of pretty good working Game Boy Advances and a DS Lite, almost none of those Game Gear games were any good really, there are maybe two NGPC games I can actually see myself shilling out for and I don't know how much the adaptors will cost either.

In conclusion; hmm.

Sebastian Cobb

I think I can do most of that on my sheild tablet already.

Tried playing parappa the rapper on a virtual touchscreen controller. Might as well have been jabbing at the screen with my cock.

imitationleather

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 19, 2019, 01:18:15 AM
Might as well have been jabbing at the screen with my cock.

Sounds quite fun tbh. Can you please make a game which involves doing this? Need something to entertain me on long train journeys.

Ferris

touchingcloth

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 17, 2019, 04:58:13 PM

Does it work with PlayStation and N64 ROMs? I have a lot of games for those consoles I'd enjoy playing again, but not enough to haul them out of the loft and scrabble round the back of the tele.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 20, 2019, 10:01:38 AM
Does it work with PlayStation and N64 ROMs? I have a lot of games for those consoles I'd enjoy playing again, but not enough to haul them out of the loft and scrabble round the back of the tele.
Yes to PS1 roms - there's a conversion process involved but it's fairly stress-free. I found a decent suite of emulators via a Reddit thread, and that comes with an N64 one, but Mario 64 was running at about 2 FPS so I didn't bother messing with any more.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 20, 2019, 02:37:28 PM
Yes to PS1 roms - there's a conversion process involved but it's fairly stress-free. I found a decent suite of emulators via a Reddit thread, and that comes with an N64 one, but Mario 64 was running at about 2 FPS so I didn't bother messing with any more.

Ta, I won't bother, then. My DS has the same problem, except it ran 64 games well but PSX ones not so much.

QDRPHNC

Lovely looking thing though. Very wantable.