Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:28:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Walking Dead season whatever the fuck it is now

Started by kngen, October 17, 2019, 01:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kngen

Anyone still watching this? It only lives on in this house because its one of the few things me and my significant other can agree to watch together.

Christ, it's a chore. They've got a boat, but do you see them explore anywhere new down the coast? Nope. A satellite crashes and some trees go on fire. Would it have been so hard to have made it part of the ISS and some astro-zombie cosmonauts came out (with helmets on, like those levelled-up riot-gear prison guards in season 3 or whenever it was, when the show at least had a little bit of invention about it)? At the very least, some sort of audio or visual recording of folk stuck up in space wondering what the fuck is happening on earth, and maybe offering a new viewpoint about clusters of civilisation that could drive the plot forward a little.

I'm a total sucker for those 'Day 237: we just saw the last of the lights go out. Hope you guys are OK down there' apocalyptic video diary type things. No one can tell me that TWD isn't above that kind of cliche.

But no, instead we get something no-one asked for: a Beta origin story.

Edit: And now we know the provenance of his Have A Nice Day T-shirt. Did the writers think: 'Shit, people on Reddit are speculating about why he's wearing that. We had better tell them explicitly and remove any sense of mystery or intrigue about his character, or indeed any sense of grim irony! Where would that lead if we let it go unchecked? Show, don't tell? We're not trained for that kind of thing!'

up_the_hampipe

So glad I gave up on this. They have no plan for this show, they've explicitly stated that they're just going to continue it as long as they can. If there's no end goal, why even be invested? I might only come back if there's a Negan origin story episode, as he was the only good character in the later seasons.

I stopped watching a few years ago, shortly after Negan bashed the heads in. It was just the same old soap opera cycle.

Negan has been put into Tekken 7 as a DLC character. I haven't bought him but others have, and they're total dicks with him. Constantly spamming his baseball bat shit over and over. 'Not cool! Not cool! Not cool!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQUTmNBIr78

Head Gardener

I'm still hangin' in there but yes, it is pretty shit, I keep hoping it will up it's game at some point and that maybe just maybe Rick will come back

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: kngen on October 17, 2019, 01:53:35 PM
I'm a total sucker for those 'Day 237: we just saw the last of the lights go out. Hope you guys are OK down there' apocalyptic video diary type things. No one can tell me that TWD isn't above that kind of cliche.

The Floating Dead.

It's years since I watched it - Negan's just bashed someone's face off, that's how far I am - but it does seem to have essentially run out of ideas based on what I've read about subsequent episodes. The Whisperers sound like an interesting idea, so I doubt that'll last. No one really talks about Fear the Walking Dead much, do they?

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 17, 2019, 04:26:56 PM
The Whisperers sound like an interesting idea, so I doubt that'll last.

The Whisperers were one of the biggest disappointments in the comics. There was a cliffhanger which implied that the zombies were speaking to each other - maybe evolving? But no, turns out it's just a bunch of humans in disguise. Another faction of baddies like the dozen factions of baddies before.

Gulftastic

Took me two sittings to get through this week.s I gave up watching on Monday night it was so fucking tedious. Finished it today. Regret it now.

Worst. Episode. Ever.

and that's saying something given how poor its become.

Puce Moment

Also, we don't know why everyone has this 'virus' in them (or whatever it is) that turns them into zombies when they die. Perhaps astronauts on a space station for 6-months might not have been infected, and return to Earth immune.

Or they come as zombies. Yeah.

Anything really.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Puce Moment on October 18, 2019, 11:30:35 AM
Also, we don't know why everyone has this 'virus' in them (or whatever it is) that turns them into zombies when they die. Perhaps astronauts on a space station for 6-months might not have been infected, and return to Earth immune.

Or they come as zombies. Yeah.

Anything really.

It's pretty amazing how they explained that in season 1, expecting some sort of follow-up and back story on what this virus is. Now we're in season 10 and I don't think they've even touched on it since. Is the virus itself explained much in the comics?

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 18, 2019, 01:09:44 PM
Is the virus itself explained much in the comics?

Haven't read them in a while, but it was never explained when I did read them. Kirkman said he has no intention of explaining it.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Default to the negative on October 18, 2019, 01:28:42 PM
Haven't read them in a while, but it was never explained when I did read them. Kirkman said he has no intention of explaining it.

What a pussy.

Head Gardener

hey comic book readers, please put me out of my misery and answer me this, does Rick come back? thanks in advance

The show and the comic have diverged in a lot of ways. Don't think you can make any Rick predictions - Prericktions? - based on the comics.

Head Gardener

ah I assumed that they were following a similar path, the whole Rick disappearing in a helicopter in an earlier series just left me thinking well he's bound to turn up at some point,
like he probably is/isn't in the comics - so I have to keep watching the fuckin' thing! at least I don't watch Talking Dead which is also on after the show is broadcast in America

kngen

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 18, 2019, 04:17:32 PM
at least I don't watch Talking Dead which is also on after the show is broadcast in America

There are so many advert breaks now that I don't bother watching it live, even though I have AMC. Broadcast time is about 1hr 8mins for about 49 mins of content. So there is about the same amount of extra ad time as there is extra content compared to an 1 hr long show. They started doing a minute-long ad blitz, too, to mess with people skipping the breaks on their DVRs (I'm guessing), and now they do a thing where the ads appear in a box bordered by slo-mo images of TWD characters (it's really fucking odd), which I presume serves the same purpose: 'Oh, there's Daryl. Stop fast-forwarding. Oh wait, he's just wafting about above a Subway sandwich.'

As if the actual show wasn't bad enough, they're practically begging you to download it illegally given what a chore it is to watch when it's broadcast, the fuckwits.

Head Gardener

Quote from: kngen on October 18, 2019, 04:59:59 PM
they're practically begging you to download it illegally given what a chore it is to watch when it's broadcast, the fuckwits.

works for me, cheers!

Ant Farm Keyboard

Rick won't come back in the main show. Andrew Lincoln wanted to spend more time in the UK, and he's signed a contract to give his character some closure. Rick is actually supposed to return for a series of three spin-off films, involving new characters, presumably shot in Britain.

kitsofan34

I think there's a rot within the franchise itself and it's hard to look past Scott Gimple, who oversees the Walking Dead "brand". I quite enjoyed Fear the Walking Dead on Morgan's first series but the rot quickly set in. The main show has very, very rarely been any good and I feel whilst the YA third spinoff looks alright, Gimple's involvement will soon turn it to shit.

https://uproxx.com/tv/the-walking-dead-spin-off-castaway-omega-man/

This sounds intriguing too, but I can't see this franchise ever bringing a consistantly good series to television until Gimple goes.

Head Gardener

Puce Moment

The way that both series' have devolved into 'our morally grounded group against your wacky, nutty, violent group with 'charismatic' leader' is just utterly shit and unimaginative. Most of the people in this thread could come up with better ideas for what is a potentially very rich storyworld.

kitsofan34

If they do that Castaway esque show where the character is utterly alone on an island, how long do you think it is before Gimple brings in a violent group with a charismatic leader? I give it four episodes.

Puce Moment

Quote from: kitsofan34 on October 20, 2019, 02:49:49 PMIf they do that Castaway esque show where the character is utterly alone on an island, how long do you think it is before Gimple brings in a violent group with a charismatic leader? I give it four episodes.

Yeah, he'll lose his bottle and parachute Morgan into it to be his Man Friday, swinging his stick around and agonising over killing psychopaths and the undead until we all stick chopsticks into our eyes and ears to block it out.

Gulftastic

'No, no Carol. Don't follow Baldy into that mysterious cave. It's obviously a trap. Oh dear, she's gone in. Quick! The rest of you go into the mysterious cave that's obviously a trap. They're not coming back. I better go into the mysterious cave that's obviously a trap. Oh bugger. It's a trap.'

Hat FM

at least it improved a bit this season. sad there was no Negan in the last two eps.

kngen

Quote from: Hat FM on November 28, 2019, 12:37:12 PM
sad there was no Negan in the last two eps.

Yep, he's been the highlight so far. Having him as a rogue element with the audience having no real clue as to his motivations is exactly how he should be used. Shame we had to put up with eight seasons of him being post-apocalypse Andrew Dice Clay before they knew what to do with him.

However, I'm sure I'm not the only person that, when we saw the boat sailing across the water, went: 'Hooray, new places!' which lasted about five seconds before we're back in the fucking forest. And then the season takes a break until the new year. *sigh*

So fucking bored of the forest. Perhaps, to someone, somewhere, the Georgia Virginia backwoods are still spooky and unknowable but, I mean, this is literally 5 minutes from my house:

... I feel like they've been filming in this same square mile for about seven years now. Please move on from fake Virginia, TWD - the novelty wore off a long time ago.

Bazooka

I am still watching, I care about none of the characters, Daryl you can care about to a degree because Reedus has charisma about him, but even then is his arc(not in the comics) interesting anymore, The Whispers as villains is the only actual staple now from the source material.  But yeah I don't believe the statements the show will last for 1 billion seasons or whatever some mad executives claimed a few months back.