Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:32:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Thief

Started by Johnny Textface, October 18, 2019, 11:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Textface

No thread? New album is bloody lovely. She's an interesting one - Wiki says she was born into a religious cult.
The Toy is one of my favourite tracks of the year.
Here's a recent performance of their new single. Jonny Greenwood would probably approve. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWW-eKX8uSo

Cuellar

Yes, I like them I think. Wasn't a huge fan of UFOF tbh. I liked 'Cattails' off it. Thought Capacity was a better album. Gonna give this new one a go.

Oh 'Not' is on this new one. I like that song.

Johnny Textface

Yeah I've only listened to the new one and U.F.O.F - definitely think the new one is stronger.
I'll give Capacity a go next. They're very prolific.

Cuellar

Enjoying it more than UFOF so far, gotta say. Seems a bit more pared back. I like it when her voice cracks into a bit of a growl as it does quite a bit in 'Not'

kitsofan34

Quote from: Johnny Textface on October 18, 2019, 11:45:57 AM
No thread? New album is bloody lovely. She's an interesting one - Wiki says she was born into a religious cult.
The Toy is one of my favourite tracks of the year.
Here's a recent performance of their new single. Jonny Greenwood would probably approve. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWW-eKX8uSo

That performance is sooooo good. It's a shame they had to cut the second half of the song short but wow, great job! Easily the stand out song on the album, Big Thief tend to have about three really good songs an album for me.

C_Larence

Mary is the only song I will never listen to ever again because it is too powerful and will destroy my soul if I do. This makes seeing them live as many times as I have quite difficult.

Edit: To clarify, they were my favourite band in 2017, capacity and masterpiece are both incredible. Never even listened to UFOF in full, it just sounds like an Adrianne Lenker solo album from what I've heard, especially considering it has two songs that are actually on her solo album too. Listened to the new album yesterday and liked it a lot. Interesting that there are no name songs on it, as they are always my favs (Paul, Lorraine, Haley, M*ry)

holyzombiejesus

I got the album with the kid and the baby on the front, played it about 5 times and then sold it. Can't see anything special about them at all, just sounded like an inferior version of other late-night psych-y stuff. When there are albums out there with David Roback and Kendra Smith on them, can't see the point.

popcorn

Yeah I like that Not song. Lovely haunted quality, and a great dry, tactile sound.

Reminds me a bit of Some Are Lakes by Land of Talk
, which has one of the loveliest falling melodies.

Ferris

I'm having one of those "ohh!" moments where I've started listening to Big Thief and suddenly realizing they have a a massive back catalogue but I reckon I'm about to get obsessed.

Yes lads.

willbo

like them from what I've briefly heard, Brad Taste in Music on youtube rated their new one his fave of 2022