Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:10:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

League of Gentleman

Started by bgmnts, October 19, 2019, 02:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bob

You can add me to the list of people who were sorely disappointed by the change of direction that series 3 took, upon its original broadcast, to the point where I thought they had absolutely ruined it, but now consider it to be the best of all the series.

Series 1 is the most refined and I'd say likely the funniest of the series.  You can really tell that much of it is material that had been honed from years of theatrical performances and the radio series.

Series 2 is probably the weakest; there are elements which I really don't think work (for example, the song and dance number with the Dentons and the wedding between David and Barbara), but there's still an awful lot of great material in there too.

The special was a nice surprise revisit but it felt a little inconsequential and would have benefited from being a full six part series 4, I think.  The film is for the most part, pants.

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on November 11, 2019, 11:01:12 PM
...I quite enjoyed the magician (Dean Taviner?)

Dean Tavoularis.  Almost certainly named (rather inexorability) after the Greek production designer of the same name.

magval

Anyone know which sketch or episode has Geoff saying "what's (big pause) your point?". Mentioned on here recently and I've been thinking about it all week - need to see it again to see how it measures up.

Kryton

Quote from: magval on November 17, 2019, 10:25:28 PM
Anyone know which sketch or episode has Geoff saying "what's (big pause) your point?". Mentioned on here recently and I've been thinking about it all week - need to see it again to see how it measures up.

Isn't it...
'So .......... what? ...Do you want?'

And it's from Season 3 Episode 3.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0074b0m/the-league-of-gentlemen-series-3-3-turn-again-geoff-tipps

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 12, 2019, 12:25:58 AM
The film is for the most part, pants.

It is. I can't fault their commendable ambition, they tried to do something different, but the end product is a self-indulgent curate's egg. Curiously unfunny too, apart from Geoff's deservedly celebrated "they put me in a box with me coat on" line.

I'm a big League fan, but that film was such a disappointment.

Sorry, Reece, if you're reading this. We all love you really.

BRen

One of my favourite moments is when Geoff goes to London and does the stand-up gig in series three. Not seen it in a while, but the bit about the Reliant Robins is brilliant.

Jittlebags

Lovely little sight gag there, where the camera zooms out from the name of Geoff's hotel, which is called the Saveloy.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 20, 2019, 12:28:00 PM
I thought that number was a great Dennis Potter homage.

The LOG film had a Dennis Potter vibe to it - The idea of mixing fictional characters with the "real world".

I've not watched the show for a very long time. Maybe a decade, compared to the twice yearly viewing it got from the previous decade. It's a show that came close to being ruined by catchphrase cunts. I'm certain the pillocks I used to work with didn't quite get the darkness of LOG, nor all of the little nods and winks to horror films but they were quite happy doing the "local shop for local people" routine every time the word "local" was mentioned.

Having read through this thread, I now have an urge to revisit them all on Netflix.

I really liked the third season and was happy that it disappointed certain types (the aforementioned catchphrase cunts for one). It was bold, smart and different.

I wasn't a big fan of the film but absolutely loved the first joke, when Michael Sheen is running around his house in a panic, tearing books off shelves, etc and desperately looking for something while incredibly dramatic music plays.  Turns out he's looking for his phone and the music is his ringtone.

I mean, it's funnier when you watch it...

The film is definitely less than the sum of its parts but I like it. Far too many decent jokes to write off as a failure.

A lot of these have already been listed (Geoff in a box with his coat on rightly celebrated) but even little bits like David Warner's perfect earnest delivery of the line, "Who art thou, ASDA??" are great.