Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Meeting Chris at Bristol Watershed and Q&A recording

Started by Lewman, October 19, 2019, 02:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewman

While i may not be the most active poster, I've been a long term lurker on CAB for nearly 20 years. So I'm sure you can all appreciate how excited I was to hear that Chris was coming to the Watershed here in Bristol.

I arrived about an hour early and was having a few drinks with my friend when we spotted Chris at the bar. He was talking to a couple so I thought this might be my chance too meet him finally. He was in full flow talking about technology and how it was monitoring our every move. Talking very insightfully about Protonmail and how hed left google and closed his amazon account.

I eavesdropped for a few minutes till a pause in the conversation. I asked him whether hed ever visited CookdandBombd? His eyes lit up and started talking fondly of visiting it many times and spoke in high regards of being part of the old internet. He says his friends often tell him to go there. I said that I was a long time member of it and used it to source a lot of his older material like the GLR shows. He also mentioned he had used it to obtain things from his past too. He also asked whether Neil was still running it (which I of course said yes,still going strong!). It was at this point i asked whether he could sign my wrongs DVD. He took it from me and started scribbling away. 

I mentioned that there was a 20 year meetup in London which he was genuinely impressed (maybe a little honored) that people were all meeting up from a forum about him thats been running for so long. He asked if I was going (i said no unfortunately) but he extended his good wishes to those who were. He handed me my DVD back and at this point i thanked him and shook his hand. He really seemed genuinely pleased to talk about the site.

As I walked away i looked at what he had wrote on the DVD -

A loving message to CAB!

I really wanted to get a photo with him. However since wed talked for a few mins and hed signed my DVD i didn't want o be one of those annoying fanboys. I did take a few sneaky photos of him as i walked away however. Guess it explains why they arent of the best quality!

The man lived up to everything Id hope he would be. Hes brimming over with intelligent conversation. Genuinely interested in hearing what others have to say and an all round nice bloke.

I've also uploaded the Q&A from the evening if anyone's interested in seeing that as well. Please excuse the production values!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA9-tNqVHUI

Ferris

This looks amazing - any chance you could transcribe Chris' message? I can't make all of it out.

selectivememory

Quote from: Lewman on October 19, 2019, 02:40:31 PM
I asked him whether hed ever visited CookdandBombd? His eyes lit up and started talking fondly of visiting it many times and spoke in high regards of being part of the old internet. He says his friends often tell him to go there. I said that I was a long time member of it and used it to source a lot of his older material like the GLR shows. He also mentioned he had used it to obtain things from his past too. He also asked whether Neil was still running it (which I of course said yes,still going strong!). It was at this point i asked whether he could sign my wrongs DVD. He took it from me and started scribbling away.

I mentioned that there was a 20 year meetup in London which he was genuinely impressed (maybe a little honored) that people were all meeting up from a forum about him thats been running for so long. He asked if I was going (i said no unfortunately) but he extended his good wishes to those who were. He handed me my DVD back and at this point i thanked him and shook his hand. He really seemed genuinely pleased to talk about the site.

As I walked away i looked at what he had wrote on the DVD -

A loving message to CAB!

Well, that's just lovely. What a nice man.

Glebe

Barry Admin

I figured if he knew of CaB, he would maybe hate it, as I was VERY hyper-critical and obnoxious for many years. I mean just pure cringe, but what a nice man to be so charitable and gracious. Especially after I got that Q&A of his bootlegged against his wishes that time, I really regret that.

This is lovely, thank you, I'm really touched. And just on my way into Belfast City Center to watch his film, in fact.

"I can't believe you're still going, should you really be?" Is what I can make out.

Edit: my own run-in him was badly-timed but I got a good story out of it so that was fine :-D
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23624.0.html

Ferris

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 19, 2019, 03:30:29 PM
I figured if he knew of CaB, he would maybe hate it, as I was VERY hyper-critical and obnoxious for many years. I mean just pure cringe, but what a nice man to be so charitable and gracious. Especially after I got that Q&A of his bootlegged against his wishes that time, I really regret that.

This is lovely, thank you, I'm really touched. And just on my way into Belfast City Center to watch his film, in fact.

"I can't believe you're still going, should you really be?" Is what I can make out.

Neil - is this the first time CM has been made aware of this place, in your recollection? Or that CaB is made aware that CM is aware?

BlodwynPig

Very cool! Hope Neil see this

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 19, 2019, 02:49:12 PM
This looks amazing - any chance you could transcribe Chris' message? I can't make all of it out.

Looks to me like "I can't believe you're still going. Should you really be?"

Ferris

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 19, 2019, 03:38:28 PM
Very cool! Hope Neil see this

Looks to me like "I can't believe you're still going. Should you really be?"

Looks like it, thanks!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Aww, Lewman, that's a truly spirit-lifting story!

Hats off to our benign leader, Neil, for creating this site in the first place and for being ace in general. Chris sounds like a lovely man, too.

We're not totally fucked as a species, are we?

Petey Pate

Hi Chris if you're reading this I really want to know where do you get your crazy ideas from?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Hi Chris, big fan, love your work. What's Peter Baynham really like?

EBGB

Well that's all marvellous, thank you.  Particularly for the recording of the Q&A - I've been to a couple & loved how different the questions were.  "Yours" were different again.  Were you the first or second screening of the evening*?  Videoing gets a better result than photos, where I kept getting caught out by Italian levels of hand waving & a good number looked like the 'Four Lions' head waggling trick.

*yes, I'm that sad, despite being here in Sussex I'm aware there were two

What I particularly admire about CM is that he takes every question, from anyone, seriously.  If more people were prepared to engage like him, we'd be a much happier and better informed species.  Rare enough in the averagely intelligenced; positively vanishingly so in the otherwise smart.

NB, 'Barry Admin', that I appreciate you may feel guilty about the Bournemouth recording.  But as someone who listened to it most recently last month, I'm eternally grateful that you arranged for it.  :)

EBGB

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 19, 2019, 03:30:29 PM
I figured if he knew of CaB, he would maybe hate it, as I was VERY hyper-critical and obnoxious for many years. I mean just pure cringe

Not just you, though.  I've never spent time on any other "fan site" that's so bewilderingly critical of its focus.  Torn as to whether it's vile or actually, somehow, bizarrely flattering that people care so much

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 19, 2019, 03:32:59 PMNeil - is this the first time CM has been made aware of this place, in your recollection? Or that CaB is made aware that CM is aware?

I'm obviously not Neil, but as far as I know CM's known of its existence for years (surely he knew of it around the time of the BES?, and he reportedly dismissed online criticism of Nathan Barley as "neurotic" -- not a totally unfair description of those threads at the time), but I believe that this is:

(a) the first time it's actually been mentioned by name rather than elliptically,
(b) the first time it's been publicly from the horse's mouth rather than second-hand,
(c) the first time he's ever admitted visiting it himself, and
(d) DEFINITELY the first time it's been mentioned positively.

As for the bit about getting copies of his older stuff back, that's just lovely!  Thank you so much for this, Lewman.

Thomas

That's wonderful! You asked the question we'd all be nervous to ask (well, I'd be nervous to ask anything).

This must be the fifth time this weekend I've turned to my partner and begun a sentence 'Hey, listen to this! You know Chris Morris?...'

EBGB

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 19, 2019, 04:21:43 PM
as far as I know CM's known of its existence for years

Meh.  I gave him my copy of the 'No Known Cure' BFI book to sign at the Brixton Q&A, and he was bamboozled by its existence.  But there's a thread on here from a long time ago where he'd turned down an invite to the associated launch.  So even he can't be assumed to know or remember everything.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: EBGB on October 19, 2019, 05:26:15 PM
Meh.  I gave him my copy of the 'No Known Cure' BFI book to sign at the Brixton Q&A, and he was bamboozled by its existence.  But there's a thread on here from a long time ago where he'd turned down an invite to the associated launch.  So even he can't be assumed to know or remember everything.

The Newcastle event? I think some of us anticipated he may have made a surprise appearance, but real life rarely works like that. Some other time, the place...

Glebe

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 19, 2019, 04:21:43 PM(b) the first time it's been publicly from the horse's mouth rather than second-hand

No thanks - I don't use the horse's mouth!

Small Man Big Horse

That's amazing, thanks so much for doing that Lewman, it really warms the cockles of my heart to know that he's aware and fond of the place.

Glebe

I haven't met Chris Morris, but he was suprizingly nice and down to earth!

Notlob

What a great story, and what a great guy. CM is basically the only truly self-actualised human being left on this burned javlet potato we call "EARTEH"

the

Quote from: Lewman on October 19, 2019, 02:40:31 PMI've also uploaded the Q&A from the evening if anyone's interested in seeing that as well. Please excuse the production values!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA9-tNqVHUI

Really chuffed that you recorded and shared the Q&A Lewman, as I would've been there but had to go away that day. I feel like I didn't miss it now, so thank you.

Clownbaby

Yes ma booyyyy! This was nice to read. Just dropped in to say that

Hymenoptera

Morris was always one of the "heroes" I thought it'd be best not to meet - he'd be quite aloof and I'd embarass myself - but hearing over the years that he's actually incredibly amiable and generous with his time and articulate and friendly is lovely. Next time he's knocking about at Broadway with a fillum I'll have to bother him with inanities and my copy of the Blue Jam CD.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Cheers for uploading the Q+A I was just watching that earlier actually

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This was shared at the 20th anniversary meet and went down a storm.

Just checking in to the thread as I'm amazed how few replies there has been.

dallasman

Nice one, Lewman! Hooray for Neil, happy 20th, what a guy, hugs all round, and who woulda thunk it?

Chris, if you're reading this: Big fan, love all your work. Haven't had a chance to see the new one, but I've heard good things. Miss you on screen/on air, though. Please consider doing whatever the current version of OTH, TDT or Brass Eye would be. Or maybe branch out with a music podcast?!

Cold Meat Platter

Hey Neil. It seems that he's amenable to chat these days so why not ask him for an interview? Maybe someone else has expressed this better than I could but it'd be bastarding great and the diametric opposite of shit for cunts.