Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:07:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lindsey Buckingham thread (he is not dead or in worse health wussl)

Started by Twed, October 19, 2019, 06:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Unusually good guitar player, isn't he?

I just saw this video about his acoustic Big Love performances. Bearing in mind that he's belting out the vocals while he plays this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IKXUnmHbpw

Mr Banlon

wosl

Put NOT DEAD or something in the title, you bastard!  I've calmed down again, but was fearing the worst coming in, given his recent health scare.  And yes, he's a fine guitar player.

Twed

Quote from: wosl on October 19, 2019, 06:17:13 PM
Put NOT DEAD or something in the title, you bastard!  I've calmed down again, but was fearing the worst coming in, given his recent health scare.
Honestly you're just tempting me to edit it to say that he died

Natnar

That recent Buckingham McVie album showed that his & Christine McVie's songwriting skills are still on top form. It's just a shame that Stevie Nicks went and fucked up any chance of him ever being in Fleetwood Mac again.

Famous Mortimer

The first time he left Fleetwood Mac they had to replace him with two guitarists (or so the article about him I read a while back indicates).

TheMonk

I saw him with Fleetwood Mac a couple of years back, before he was kicked out and he was by far the standout performer.
I like Neil Finn a lot but it was very poor form of Nicks to think going out again at their vintage without arguably their central figure was a good idea. Reviews were good, but it wasn't really Fleetwood Mac, surely.

Also, Never Coming Back Again is a fab little tune.

momatt

Quote from: Natnar on October 19, 2019, 11:01:09 PM
It's just a shame that Stevie Nicks went and fucked up any chance of him ever being in Fleetwood Mac again.

What happened here?  Is this something recent?

buzby

Quote from: momatt on October 21, 2019, 07:16:27 AM
What happened here?  Is this something recent?
They had an argument about Nicks wanting to use the studio recording of Rhiannon as their intro music at the MusiCares Person of the Year benefit concert in January 2018, and then Nicks saw him smirking while she was delivering one of her interminable speeches. She gave the rest of the band an 'its him or me' ultimatum, they chose her and Buckingham was sacked over the phone by their manager. He sued them for breach of contract but it was settled out of court. He has said he would be willing to come back, but does't see it happening in the forseeable future.

They did replace him with two people - Neil Finn and Mike Campbell, the guitarist from The Heartbreakers.

Natnar

I think Nicks was already pissed off that that Buckingham McVie album was released. It was originally intended to be a new Fleetwood Mac album with Nicks's involvement but for some reason (probably because she's lost the ability to write any decent songs anymore) she ended up not getting involved hence why they had to use the Buckingham McVie label, even though the other 4 members of Fleetwood Mac were on it.

famethrowa

I should like to submit this totally bonkers video, for a song that always makes me smile.

https://youtu.be/KsYqIJqlPNc

momatt

Quote from: buzby on October 21, 2019, 08:30:43 AM
They had an argument about Nicks wanting to use the studio recording of Rhiannon as their intro music at the MusiCares Person of the Year benefit concert in January 2018, and then Nicks saw him smirking while she was delivering one of her interminable speeches. She gave the rest of the band an 'its him or me' ultimatum, they chose her and Buckingham was sacked over the phone by their manager. He sued them for breach of contract but it was settled out of court. He has said he would be willing to come back, but does't see it happening in the forseeable future.

They did replace him with two people - Neil Finn and Mike Campbell, the guitarist from The Heartbreakers.

Thanks for the update!
Wow, they're still into their petty bickering after all these years.  I think they should all just fuck again and get it over with.

Quote from: Twed on October 19, 2019, 06:00:47 PM
Unusually good guitar player, isn't he?

I just saw this video about his acoustic Big Love performances. Bearing in mind that he's belting out the vocals while he plays this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IKXUnmHbpw

That acoustic Big Love arrangement is absolute brilliance. I heard it years before I ever saw it, so I presumed the bassline was McVie in a low-key support role. But, no, it's Buckingham's thumb. Nobody should be able to be that good.

Twed

Am I being completely unrelatable by saying that Nicks is the worst thing about Fleetwood Mac for me? I prefer McVie's songwriting and vocals.

Famous Mortimer

The Special Without Brett Davis (a cable-access show that had the same slot as Chris Gethard's old show for several years) did a Fleetwood Mac episode, and it was rather good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPxEkmfE1dI

phantom_power

Quote from: Twed on October 22, 2019, 03:10:31 PM
Am I being completely unrelatable by saying that Nicks is the worst thing about Fleetwood Mac for me? I prefer McVie's songwriting and vocals.

I think what makes the best Mac songs are the combinations of voices and instruments, each person bringing their own thing to the song no matter who wrote it. So yes

grassbath

Quote from: Twed on October 22, 2019, 03:10:31 PM

I think her voice, performance style and artistic sensibility are indispensable to the band's style and what made them great, but I definitely think she's the weakest songwriter yeah. Mcvie's songs stand up on their own; Nicks' need a boatload of arrangement to come to life, and when the band don't seem greatly interested (e.g. 'Storms') the results are pretty bloody dreary.

Twed

Although I like most of Mac, I'm a Tango in the Night-favouring weirdo, and my favourite tracks on that (Big Love, Everywhere, Little Lies) are either entirely bereft of Nicks or just feature her as backing. So the "indispensable to the band's overall jumble" doesn't necessarily ring true for me, although I can see how other fans of the band can think that.

kngen

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 22, 2019, 11:24:47 AM
That acoustic Big Love arrangement is absolute brilliance. I heard it years before I ever saw it, so I presumed the bassline was McVie in a low-key support role. But, no, it's Buckingham's thumb. Nobody should be able to be that good.

I saw him do it live with FM a few years back - I was looking everywhere on the stage to see if there was a back-up guitarist in the shadows. And obviously there wasn't. He's the fucking man, is our Lins.

alan nagsworth

SNL's joyous "What Up With That" skits have wormed so deep into my brain that I can no longer hear Buckingham's name without thinking of Bill Hader's portrayal of the man, forever trying not to get too upset about not being able to play a song.

Buckingham fuckin rules though, not discounting that at all.

Famous Mortimer

non capisco

I would love to go to a one day outdoor festival headlined by Lindsey Buckingham where the penultimate act overruns and let's say the representative for Tower Hamlets council comes out and says "Well.....we outta time!"

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: buzby on October 21, 2019, 08:30:43 AM

'replace' in the loosest possible sense; I love finn's work, always have, & campbell's a decent guitarist, but you can't just throw talent at a problem like losing the likes of buckingham from a band.

anyway, I'll chuck this up here again.... this being the original version of the doc about the making of 'rumours'. it came on C4 again a few years ago &, rather than dig out the VHS I'd made back in the fuck-knows-when, 1990-something, I sat & watched. "ha'd on, " says I, "where's all the vitriol?", & so I bought the DVD, thinking there might be more of the back-stabbing on a longer cut. nope.

so I dug the VHS out & here it is:

https://vimeo.com/191221519

famethrowa

God damn I'll say it again: M. Fleetwood and Droopy McVie are the luckiest fuckers ever to start a band. Had not Lins and Stevie kindly agreed to re-record their own solo album under the FM imprimatur, Mick and John would be 5th on the bill at the Bumfuck Blues Festival this year.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: famethrowa on October 25, 2019, 12:38:45 AM
God damn I'll say it again: M. Fleetwood and Droopy McVie are the luckiest fuckers ever to start a band. Had not Lins and Stevie kindly agreed to re-record their own solo album under the FM imprimatur, Mick and John would be 5th on the bill at the Bumfuck Blues Festival this year.

peter green started the band, & called it fleetwood mac in order to persuade them, mcvie especially, to join.