Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:58:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Records that could fuck up other records.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, October 19, 2019, 06:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

My post in the 7" thread made me think of creating a thread on this.

I think factory also copied an idea off a book that was rough and fucked up all the books next to it and made a sleeve that was made up of sandpaper, cue critics panning the record and saying it was a shame the sandpaper wasn't on the inside of the sleeve instead.

My dad's got a pressing of sticky fingers with the fly in it, which was apparently pulled because it misshapen other records in a shelf or pile, although I assume the main reason was cost. He seems to think it's a rarity but discogs seems to disagree.

I've got a kid acne record with a plastic faux wax imprint on the outside that makes me keep it at the end of some drum n bass 12" rather than in my alphabetical lp collection.

Absorb the anus burn

eifion

Might as well get the obvious candidate in early. The first Durutti Column LP came in a sandpaper sleeve, designed to destroy any records it was put next to.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 19, 2019, 06:44:10 PM

My dad's got a pressing of sticky fingers with the fly in it, which was apparently pulled because it misshapen other records in a shelf or pile, although I assume the main reason was cost. He seems to think it's a rarity but discogs seems to disagree.

I've got a kid acne record with a plastic faux wax imprint on the outside that makes me keep it at the end of some drum n bass 12" rather than in my alphabetical lp collection.

To store Sticky Fingers and not wreck it, and other records it was next to, you had to pull the zip down so it'd only dint the centre label part.

SteveDave

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 19, 2019, 06:44:10 PM

The back cover of my copy of "Goats Head Soup" is fucked because of that zip.

I didn't get "Exile On Main Street" til a few years ago on vynils.

I now keep "Sticky Fingers" on top of the section the rest of my Rolling Stones records are in.

Brundle-Fly

Madonna's Like A Prayer LP early pressings were scented with patchouli oil which made your whole album collection whiff like Stevie Nick's knickers.

Then, there was the BeeGee's, Odessa that was initially released in a red flocked cover with a gold lettering to the group's name and label symbol stamped in gold on the front. Due to the high cost of production, as well as allergic reactions among workers during assembly, this design was discontinued. it apparently would make all your Simon & Garfunkall albums quite wheezy to listen to.

jobotic

I had a record that made me fuck it up. A Bearsuit 7" that came wrapped in some bandage thing that was impossible to get into. Eventually I used some scissors and ended up taking a chunk out of it and making a massive scratch down the A Side.

Pauline Walnuts

I'm still thinking of what I'm going to do with that Jessamine 7" with a padlock on it

That's bound to wreck everything around it.

SweetPomPoms

Revolting Cocks cover of Da Ya Think I'm Sexy - packaged in
a KY filled sleeve, leaked everywhere..

Brundle-Fly

Jellyfish did something similar. Gimmicky 1990s CD packaging there.

PaulTMA

I remember seeing that Jellyfish single in a shop about eight years after it went on sale.   Had gone well manky.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: SweetPomPoms on October 20, 2019, 02:05:18 PM
Revolting Cocks cover of Da Ya Think I'm Sexy - packaged in
a KY filled sleeve, leaked everywhere..

Sonic Boom's first solo album was released in a clear plastic sleeve with blue jelly contained in it.  I've just had a look at mine which appears to have more or less dried out completely.  The one after that - unless they were released in the opposite order - had a rotating 'psychedelic' sleeve.  It was alright.

idunnosomename

Quote from: eifion on October 19, 2019, 07:43:19 PM
Might as well get the obvious candidate in early. The first Durutti Column LP came in a sandpaper sleeve, designed to destroy any records it was put next to.
this was an initial idea for Public Image Ltd's Metal Box, which went on to cause record shops much grief in where to put the fucking thing

buzby

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 20, 2019, 08:24:58 PM
this was an initial idea for Public Image Ltd's Metal Box, which went on to cause record shops much grief in where to put the fucking thing
Quote from: buzby on October 20, 2019, 12:36:15 AM
The sandpaper sleeve was Tony Wilson's idea, as he was a enthusiast of Dadaism and Situationist International. It was coped from the 1959 book Mémoires, by the leader of the Situationist movement Guy Debord and the artist Asger Jorn. It had a sandpaper outer jacket that was intended to damage any book that was placed next to it on the shelf, and the shelf or any other furniture it was placed on.

boki

Prior to those RevCo and Jellyfish releases, second division thrashers Vio-lence saw fit to bestow this upon us.

idunnosomename

i didnt know that (I love Eternal Nightmare). I love how it says "do not eat" to distinguish it from other, edible record sleeves.

best image I could find, only imagine what it looked like before they all dried up.

gilbertharding

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on October 20, 2019, 06:08:42 PM
Sonic Boom's first solo album was released in a clear plastic sleeve with blue jelly contained in it.  I've just had a look at mine which appears to have more or less dried out completely.  The one after that - unless they were released in the opposite order - had a rotating 'psychedelic' sleeve.  It was alright.

You bought them in the wrong order. The rotating optikinetic thingy was the first Spectrum album (1991).  The pin in the middle of the rotating disk might do a bit of damage to neighbouring records...

Soul Kiss Glide Divine (1992) was in the clear plastic full of gunk, on clear vinyl with no label.

That sleeve doesn't fit this thread, because it destroyed the record inside it - impossible to get the disk in and out of the sleeve without scratching it to absolute fuck.

I solve my Sticky Fingers issue by putting it into two plastic outer sleeves, and leaving the zip down.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 21, 2019, 01:28:02 PM
You bought them in the wrong order. The rotating optikinetic thingy was the first Spectrum album (1991).  The pin in the middle of the rotating disk might do a bit of damage to neighbouring records...

Soul Kiss Glide Divine (1992) was in the clear plastic full of gunk, on clear vinyl with no label.

Think I read that that's particularly rare as several hundred had to be destroyed due to leaky sleeves. Wish they'd reissue a few of Sonic's solo items. Will someone start a Spacemen 3 thread please?

mojo filters

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 21, 2019, 01:55:39 PM
Think I read that that's particularly rare as several hundred had to be destroyed due to leaky sleeves. Wish they'd reissue a few of Sonic's solo items. Will someone start a Spacemen 3 thread please?

Not only did many of the oil sleeve Soul Kiss - Glide Divine LPs leak in transit, they ruined a load of other records that were shipped in the same containers. This produced the apocryphal story of how a shortage of Manic Street Preacher's Motorcycle Emptiness 12" singles prevented the latter from reaching number one!

Worse luck for Pete, Silvertone took a "packaging deduction" after offering him free reign on the artwork for both Spectrum and Soul Kiss. Apparently the cost-versus-sales ratio left Pete with what he describes as "a non re-coupable debt" and thus no royalties.

Pete Kember blames Silvertone for not taking account of the delicate packaging, when transporting Soul Kiss. He certainly didn't have the best luck on that label.

When they released his next album Highs, Lows and Heavenly Blows he only found out that his next fancy sleeve design (a kind of clear plastic, stained glass window effect, if I recall correctly) had been replaced with something very ordinary, when it was too late.

Worse still, not only did Silvertone pull the release of a single to promote that album at the last minute, but in the short period between releasing Highs, Lows and Heavenly Blows and Pete beginning the Spectrum tour planned to promote it - they literally deleted the album from their catalogue, without warning!

As for re-releases, I suspect that might be complicated. The recent vinyl reissue of Highs, Lows and Heavenly Blows on Medical Records and Music On Vinyl (one US, one European I think) should still be available. Unfortunately the ongoing financial dispute with the devious Gerald Palmer shows no sign of being resolved.

Space Age reissued Spectrum on CD years ago, though even if it's still available - fans have ethical issues with buying anything new on Space Age for obvious reasons. Spanish label Vilinisssimo reissued both Spectrum and Soul Kiss on vinyl in 2012, though I've never actually seen either pressing for sale.

Forever Alien should technically still be in print, but I understand all versions (regardless of whether actually labelled Space Age) are licensed from Palmer. Likewise the Spectrum and Silver Apples collaboration A Lake Of Teardrops, plus the Refractions compilation CD.

The shockingly underrated (though barely promoted) Spectrum / Captain Memphis collaboration Indian Giver was only ever released on CD through some small American label, and has no association with Space Age/Palmer. It may well be still available, but if not I doubt it's used value is unreasonably high - if you can track down a copy.

holyzombiejesus

Can you go in to the Space Age/ Gerald Palmer stuff? How did it all start?

gilbertharding

I got an E.A.R. record on what IIRC was a 9" picture disc - which is odd, but not for this thread either.

jobotic

Death of a Robot? I have that too.

The Koner Experiment was really good. I got that for two quid because one side was scratched (not that you would notice ha ha).

gilbertharding

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 21, 2019, 04:28:56 PM
Can you go in to the Space Age/ Gerald Palmer stuff? How did it all start?

Here's what looks like a recap:

https://thefutureheart.com/2017/04/20/spacemen-3-reissues-record-store-day-sonic-boom-pete-bassman-gerald-palmer-debate-rip-off/

The Spiritualized forum has a Spacemen 3 subforum which is probably pretty interesting. I see that someone's put the last gig (Reading Festival 1989) on Soundcloud - but you probably heard that.

gilbertharding

Quote from: jobotic on October 21, 2019, 04:51:28 PM
Death of a Robot? I have that too.

The Koner Experiment was really good. I got that for two quid because one side was scratched (not that you would notice ha ha).

This: https://www.discogs.com/Experimental-Audio-Research-Falling-Tail-Chaser/release/200884?ev=rr

Which reminds me - there was a massive imbroglio (or was it a brouhaha?) over the title 'Data Rape' on the Spiritualized forum - way, way back in the earlier 00s - in other words, a long way before 'woke culture' is supposed to have been a thing. The archive only goes back to 03, and the wayback machine is patchy.

jobotic

another Mr. Lizard

That Black Grape album with the googly eyes on the front could, possibly, fuck up adjacent CD cases - though it's probably more likely that harm would befall it instead. Quite how the eyes have remained stuck on my copy, I don't know. See also JCC's 'Snap Crackle & Bop' with the poetry book in the pocket - a glance at Discogs suggests that few copies have this intact, and most of those that do are coming unglued. I really ought to have posted this in an alternate thread entitled 'records that could be fucked up by other records'.

kittens

bought a really shitty copy of the last st vincent album. the record is wrapped in a big poster of her arse and shoved in a plastic bag that is covered in sticky material. stuck to and ruined whatever was next to it. only just occurred to me reading this thread that i can take it out of the alphabetised selection and put it with the shit records i don't give a fuck about.

Pauline Walnuts

Apparently that's not her arse on the cover. Someone did tell me who's it was, but I forgot.

Those thin clear sleeves that seem to be all the rage with that glue edge to seal them that seems to be designed to stick to and damage the LP cover, unless you're really good at that Operation game

What's all that about eh?

momatt

I think this just qualifies.  Nine Inch Nails released a CD packaged with loads of black dust that made a big mess on opening.  Which I thought was funny.

https://pitchfork.com/news/71628-nine-inch-nails-send-fans-packages-with-mysterious-black-powder/

Nine Inch Nails' Not the Actual Events EP was released late last year with little advance notice. Fans were able to order digital copies of the EP alongside a mysterious accompanying "physical component." Fans are finally receiving the physical package in the mail, and apparently, it's a messy ordeal. A black sleeve comes with a detailed disclaimer label that offers cryptic warnings like "actions have consequences" and "this will make a mess." Several tweets have surfaced showing fans' fingers covered in a smudgy black powder as they unearthed a series of enigmatic photos and texts.

JesusAndYourBush

There was a cd single box set by The Mission in 1990 where the box had room for the single you'd just bought plus three others yet to be released, the only problem was the cd was placed outside the box, literally just plonked on top of the box and then the whole thing was shrink-wrapped.  As a result, of being stacked on top of each other & crammed into boxes for delivery etc all the discs had scratches and the picture label started to flake & peel off within a few years.  This is a record (cd) that fucked up other copies of itself.