Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,397
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:33:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Software for sorting duplicate files

Started by Puce Moment, October 20, 2019, 03:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

So, in the last 10-years or so I have become utterly rubbish at sorting out my files into folders. I also tend to copy my desktops across into folders from my various jobs, so I have managed to build quite a few TBs of files. I know for a fact that many of these are duplicates and my hard drive just needs some care and attention. But that would take forever to acheive.

Is there any software that will recognise files of the same name and/or size so that I can filter them by last amended, and delete all the duplicate files? Some of them have the same name, which makes things easier (I found that I had eight, yes eight, 10GB copies of We Need to Talk About Kevin interspersed throughout my folders. So, there was 9GB right there deleted in an instance.

However, sometimes they have a different name, or my PC has forced a '(1)' suffix to the file name. Really I just need my most recent version of a file.

Help, my OCD is going a bit nuts at this state of this.

Consignia

Try Ccleaner : https://www.ccleaner.com/ It has the ability to search for identify duplicate files.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I needed something like that for managing backups and a friend in tech support recommended Veeam. I haven't actually got around to installing it yet though.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Consignia on October 20, 2019, 04:04:34 PMTry Ccleaner : https://www.ccleaner.com/ It has the ability to search for identify duplicate files.

Ok, so I already have that.

Check out this dunce.

Thanks!

popcorn

Sounds like you have this sorted, but I used Duplicate File Finder and found it worked really well.

Puce Moment

Quote from: popcorn on October 20, 2019, 04:16:16 PMSounds like you have this sorted, but I used Duplicate File Finder and found it worked really well.

I have used that in the past but I found it to be not so good at picking up on files of same size with a slightly different name. I'm poking around the functionality of CC Cleaner and it is way better than I even realised. I have just uninstalled a fuck-ton of useless software and bloatware, and now it is finding my duplicate files. Brilliant bit of kit.

popcorn

Sounds like I should give it a try myself then!

Puce Moment

Well, this is starting to look like a scam thread to promote some software, but I only have CC Cleaner to make sure that stuff gets properly shredded when deleted. Turns it has all sorts of uses.

And you can take that to the bank!

popcorn

Consignia

Quote from: Puce Moment on October 20, 2019, 04:46:06 PM
Well, this is starting to look like a scam thread to promote some software.

I promise I don't work for CCleaner or any of it's money laundering shell companies subsidiaries

olliebean

Bytessence DuplicateFinder is good and fast for this. No longer developed apparently, but available from https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2062.