Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:35:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Drill rapper Rico Racks banned from rapping certain words

Started by Cardenio I, October 21, 2019, 10:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardenio I

QuoteRico Racks, a London drill rapper, has been jailed for three years for drug offences and issued with an order that forbids him from rapping certain words.

As part of his sentence, he was given a criminal behaviour order for five years. It prevents him from rapping words such as bandoe (a house used for drug dealing and consumption), trapping (dealing), and connect (a drugs contact). He is even banned from saying whipping, a slang term for driving that is frequently used in rap music.

Bans that restrict rappers from using certain words, or entering certain areas, have become increasingly used by police. West London drill rappers 1011 were banned from mentioning rival groups in their music, while duo Skengdo x AM were given suspended prison sentences for performing one of their tracks, Attempted 1.0, at a live gig.

The fuck is this? Can he say the words if he doesn't rap them? Can he rap them if he doesn't record them? Can he sing them? If he can't say "bandoe", can he just say "a house used for drug dealing and consumption"? How is this a legal possibility that has apparently been applied many times over? Does anyone know anything more about this I'M CONFUSED.

Sebastian Cobb

Bollocks isn't it.

I imagine the usual 'free speech' advocates will be a bit quieter than usual given it's not a white racist.

popcorn

Guardian source for the OP quote, if anyone else was wondering.

This is extremely strange, isn't it? I honestly can't guess at the purpose. Is it presumed an offender is more likely to re-offend if they rap about crime?

Anyway, they'll never stop me from rapping certain words.

popcorn

Out of curiosity I sent this to me dad, who is a magistrate. He sez:

"If he got 3 years he was dealing a LOT. Class A too. Never heard of the censorship thing - obviously it's to stop him advertising his product. ....unusual to censor stuff though. The law will be based around incitement to commit a crime but theres's an underlying fear that it's being used to create a positive culture of drug use. It won't work of course."

Cardenio I

Surprised that 3 years equates to dealing A LOT of Class A drugs. If that's the risk reward ratio I might have to change careers.

alan nagsworth

Fair enough though not being allowed to make music about driving a car

Fair enough on that one I reckon

popcorn

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 21, 2019, 06:19:26 PM
Fair enough though not being allowed to make music about driving a car

Fair enough on that one I reckon

To be fair:

QuoteHe is also banned from saying whipping, a slang term used for driving that has also been used to refer to drug preparation.

hummingofevil

If I was dealing drugs I don't think I would sing songs about that fact. Police have done him a favour. Should have told him earlier then they might not have caught him.

imitationleather

I'm quite impressed with myself that the only piece of slang there that I was unfamiliar with was "bandoe". Still got it! I'm guessing I'd not heard of bandoe because a house where you go and take drugs is more of a crack kind of thing.

Crackhouses sound very scary, don't they?

imitationleather

Quote from: Cardenio I on October 21, 2019, 02:50:28 PM
Surprised that 3 years equates to dealing A LOT of Class A drugs. If that's the risk reward ratio I might have to change careers.

You have to think about what a LOT means to the squares who work in law. (Sorry for calling your dad a square, popcorn.) Probably ten pukkas is a lot to them, whereas to us it's just a jolly good night out.

My mum's a nurse and was telling me once about doing pre-screening for someone who was having an operation. During this she was told by him that he smoked weed most days and did ecstasy and cocaine a few times a month. She couldn't believe this level of drug use and had to ring the guy in charge (a doctor, I assume) and tell him, who cancelled the operation as a result. What was funny is that she was expecting this story to surprise me, but unbeknownst to her my own drug use was far heavier and more frequent than that at the time.

momatt

Quote from: hummingofevil on October 22, 2019, 12:48:17 AM
If I was dealing drugs I don't think I would sing songs about that fact. Police have done him a favour. Should have told him earlier then they might not have caught him.

I thought this.  Rappers recording their drug-dealing confessions must be pretty handy for the police.

popcorn

Quote from: imitationleather on October 22, 2019, 08:17:18 AM
You have to think about what a LOT means to the squares who work in law. (Sorry for calling your dad a square, popcorn.)

My dad is going to beat you up.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Cardenio I on October 21, 2019, 10:37:55 AM
If he can't say "bandoe", can he just say "a house used for drug dealing and consumption"?

Last week I saw half an hour of some rap battle tv show and someone used that word several times.

Bando is a good word I think, shortened form of 'abandoned house' and sounds like a word they'd use for it in Australia.