Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:23:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best games on Game Pass that aren't famous?

Started by beanheadmcginty, October 21, 2019, 02:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

Might download Desperados, does it matter If I haven't played the previous games in the series?

It looks a bit like that squad based second world war game which I also haven't played. What was that called?

bgmnts

Quote from: Neomod on January 26, 2021, 01:23:30 PM
Might download Desperados, does it matter If I haven't played the previous games in the series?

It looks a bit like that squad based second world war game which I also haven't played. What was that called?

Commandos.

And no, I don't think it matters if you haven't played the previous ones

Neomod

Ah yes Commandos. Available for the xbone too but apparently bobbins.

I can confirm that Desperados is fun. I'm obviously the sort of person who takes things at a leisurely pace cos the train chapter which apparently can be speed run in 5 minutes took me 75.

Do you get more weapons/tricks the further into the game you get? 

bgmnts

Yeah don't worry you'll get a lot more options.

Pink Gregory

Can't imagine playing Commandos/Desperadoes on a gamepad.  How well does it translate?

Neomod

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 26, 2021, 07:48:01 PM
Can't imagine playing Commandos/Desperadoes on a gamepad.  How well does it translate?

Apparently the controller hasn't been utilised well on Commandos.

On Desperados it's more intuitive because you have direct control of the characters rather than click on a location for them to walk to. Shoulder buttons are used to change character/weapon so pretty straightforward. I've only just started so i'm getting used to the showdown mode.

Timothy

Desperados plays really well with the controller.

Tomorrow the Medium launches on Game Pass. Later this afternoon the reviews will be up. Quite curious, especially since it's the first real Xbox exclusive.

bgmnts

Quote from: Timothy on January 27, 2021, 10:11:53 AM
Desperados plays really well with the controller.

Tomorrow the Medium launches on Game Pass. Later this afternoon the reviews will be up. Quite curious, especially since it's the first real Xbox exclusive.

I know right? Patented gameplay and Akira Yamaoka! Exciting.

shh

Celeste for a tough 2d platformer (don't be put off by the sega graphics).
Void Bastards a fun fps with a great art style.
Sunset overdrive if you like Ratchet & Clank.

Blue Jam

Started Resident Evil 7 today. Shite. It's Gone Home with more blood and loads of unscary (and unskippable) cheesy horror cutscenes. Nah, not for me.

Think I've exhausted Game Pass again. Any good recent additions?

bgmnts

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 05, 2021, 01:30:01 AM
Started Resident Evil 7 today. Shite. It's Gone Home with more blood and loads of unscary (and unskippable) cheesy horror cutscenes. Nah, not for me.

Think I've exhausted Game Pass again. Any good recent additions?

I personally loved Resident Evil 7 but ho hum.

They have the Yakuza collection on game pass.

Blue Jam

Yeah, might try a bit o' Yakuza next. At least one of the series lets you go into a Japanese arcade and play on the UFO catchers/claw machines. I used to be addicted to those things so that's a big draw for me.

Pink Gregory

Tried out Monster Train which seems like a good time but also too much like a mobile/portable game that I don't really want to sit down and play it on a tv.  Also the artstyle is really reminiscent of 6/10 xbox live arcade games from 2009 so it puts me off somewhat.

They've just added The Falconeer, a very pretty air combat game. Think Panzer Dragoon meets Crimson Skies with a bit of adventure thrown in and gorgeous graphics.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on February 05, 2021, 10:40:33 AM
I personally loved Resident Evil 7 but ho hum.

I'm with you on that; best Resident Evil game since the original/REmake.

Pink Gregory

Frostpunk's meant to be good.  City management/crisis management/FECISIONS game from the This War of Mine people.

bgmnts

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 05, 2021, 06:50:36 PM
Frostpunk's meant to be good.  City management/crisis management/FECISIONS game from the This War of Mine people.

It's quite difficult, if that's your thing.

Blue Jam

I couldn't get into Frostpunk but I guess that sort of game just isn't my thing.

Been playing lots of Forza Horizon 4 lately. Not one of the less famous games I know, but now I can't get out to Arthur's Seat for a bit of a hike I've found it surprisingly relaxing to be able to drive round a beautiful and eeriily photorealistic simulation of the place instead, with the classical music station on the radio. Nae otters in Dunsapie Loch but apart from that it looks just like it, I got a proper uncanny valley feeling. It somehow feels even more realistic than Google Streetview, it's an incredible feat alright.

BeardFaceMan

I do most of my gaming on the pc these days, I don't even have a powerful pc but the loading times for games like FH4 or Destiny 2 are improved 10-fold compared to playing them on my One. Game pass for just the pc is a few quid cheaper than the ultimate game pass for pc and console, are there any decent games worth checking out that are on game pass on console but not on pc?

brat-sampson

unfortunately as someone who Game Passes PC-only, I've felt stung a few times. Devil May Cry, Outer Wilds,  Witcher 3 and most recently Pillars of Eternity 2 have all been console/cloud only. It does work both ways, to an extent but overall, the console catalogue tends to be better in my view. Not to say GPC is a bad deal though by any means. I've still got more than enough to actually play, just some of the announcements can be a bit deflating.

BeardFaceMan

I see they have Medium and Control on pc pass, which are two games I've been wanting to have a look at so if I just go for that it won't be a total bust.

Blue Jam

Anything good been added to Gamepass lately? Finished Deathloop but still got three weeks left to twat about with other games.

RetroRobot

Quote from: RetroRobot on December 27, 2022, 02:49:09 PMI'm down for Zach Hadel doing some voices, his voice cracks me up as does his own work. I'll play it when I get an Xbox in the new year.
For anyone who may not know his internet stuff, co creator of Smiling Friends, on TV, voices Charlie in it, among others.

Neomod

Stranded Deep has come to Gamepass.

Vague memories of the Beta of this on PC years ago. Looked my sort of thing, a bit like RAFT.

Seems to have been added to in that time as the trailer now shows planes and gyrocopters.

Small download an all at 1GB.

Blue Jam

Looks like Subnautica but with the procedurally-generated element it sounds worryingly like No Man's Sky. Might give it a go at some point.

Cold Meat Platter

I spent hours on my shit internet updating subnautica like it wanted me to and it turns out they've taken it off gamepass anyway the massive pillocks.

Will get it on PC in a sale then as it's in VR.

Neomod

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on January 06, 2023, 09:58:33 PMI spent hours on my shit internet updating subnautica like it wanted me to and it turns out they've taken it off gamepass anyway the massive pillocks.

Will get it on PC in a sale then as it's in VR.

It's a tenner on Instant Gaming right now.

brat-sampson

The Bethesda/Microsoft Dev showcase included the surprise announcement and release of a new game from Shinji Mikami and Tango Gameworks: Hi-Fi RUSH - a rhythm-based action game.

The style/characters are fine, might grate a little, but it's basically like if Hideki Kamiya made a rhythm game. You do combos to the music, light attacks every beat, heavys take two, enemies attack on the beat, the entire thing looks like it was made in the same lab as Jet Set Radio or Viewtiful Joe.

It's just really damn fun.

bgmnts

Downloaded this this morning, glad it's good! Metal Hellsinger was a rhythm FPS and was great for a few levels but I got a bit bored, so I'm hoping this keeps my interest.

RetroRobot

Grabbed by the Ghoulies via Rare Replay, characterful beat em up full of cock jokes