Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:34:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Book reviews

Started by holyzombiejesus, October 21, 2019, 03:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Where do you find out about books? I generally look in the Observer and Saturday's Guardian. I also look at the Caught By The River website although this does have a tendency to focus on books about a depressed man who has come out of a relationship and digs and looks at a bird. I used to sometimes get the TLS and have heard good things about the London Review of Books but have never seen it for sale anywhere.

I started the thread because I just read about a magazine called 'Strong Words' which is all (30,000 words) written by one guy, every 6 weeks. I was a bit interested but then read that he used to edit Rolling Stone and Maxim, so I don't really trust his opinion, which would probably be an issue with a magazine entirely written by him.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/08/new-book-magazine-30000-words-issue-written-entirely-one-man

Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations of other places with decent book reviews, either in print or online, I'd like to hear about them.

Blinder Data

I posted a similarish thread but it sank like a stone. I hope your thread fares better.

Famous Mortimer

A friend of mine gets their book recommendations from "People" magazine, or one of those other checkout-line mags like it. They tend to have some pretty interesting recommendations.

I get em from Twitter, or wandering round a Half Price Books (imagine a gigantic Oxfam bookshop, but done solely for profit), or in my local indie bookshop.

shiftwork2

I use Goodreads, although perhaps this isn't what you're after.  A step up from Amazon, the reviews are usually well-written and give a good sense of your prospective read.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 21, 2019, 03:14:13 PMI used to sometimes get the TLS and have heard good things about the London Review of Books but have never seen it for sale anywhere

WH Smith usually stocks both of them, but only one or two copies as far as I can tell. LRB seems to be more intellectual than TLS, with longer reviews and fewer features. (TLS has a good decent cryptic crossword as well.) 
Literary Review used to be decent, plenty of reviews and subjects covered. That's usually in Smith's too. They've all got websites with some free content.