Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:00:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bojack Horseman (Season 6)

Started by NoSleep, October 21, 2019, 04:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

First half available Friday.

I had not watched any Bojack before this year but have binge-watched and rewatched and then rewatched again the first 5 seasons. Now it's possibly my favourite TV show ever and I'm very much looking forward to this final season in two parts.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOGxOQxXjdo

Cardenio I

Looking forward to it, might go with a rewatch first though in which case I'll duck out of this thread once it gets spoiler-y. As much as I enjoy it, I'm kind of glad it's ending now. I thought last season's "BoJack tries to be better, fails, does something dreadful" arc was forced where the others felt a lot more like natural outcomes for the character.

madhair60

Great because I've just finished Big Mouth, which was terrific as usual.

NJ Uncut

The ending theme annoys me as the first bar ends with three descending guitar notes that're dead catchy but it doesn't appear in the song again which is a waste

(also seems a bit sub Clone High)

NoSleep

I liked it much better when they ended with Nina Simone.

backdrifter

Yeah the Simone ending actually made me cry a little, which is very rare for me.

I like the version of the credits music on the "The Bojack Horseman Show" episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGtVDQNzuxY

"What the hell was I thinking bro?"

alan nagsworth

Kicking against my whinge in the GB thread about telly recommendations and wasting your life watching stuff, I've just burned through season 5 in three days because I suddenly realised I only got halfway through it when it first aired.

Quote from: Cardenio I on October 21, 2019, 08:11:51 PM
Looking forward to it, might go with a rewatch first though in which case I'll duck out of this thread once it gets spoiler-y. As much as I enjoy it, I'm kind of glad it's ending now. I thought last season's "BoJack tries to be better, fails, does something dreadful" arc was forced where the others felt a lot more like natural outcomes for the character.

I a-gree to a de-gree. Hey that's like the sort of wordplay you'd get in the show haha anywayyy... whilst Bojack's behaviour in season 5 wasn't as hard-hitting as previous seasons, I do think there's a lot to be said about the type of person he is and how his awful actions are cyclical and he's sort of destined to repeat himself because of the endless spirals of self-abuse and lashing out at others. This I feel was reflected extremely well in his tripped out lack of a grasp on reality and it blurring with Philbert, a poorly written and problematic mess of a TV show that ended up being extremely analogous to his own life. It was paced smartly and in the end it surprised and shocked me.

That said, I also am glad it's coming to an end, just because it doesn't feel like the sort of thing that should just run on forever, and we're extremely fortunate to have had five brilliant seasons of something that is so deeply, profoundly sad and reflective but also quick paced, smart and extremely funny. It hasn't yet written itself into any real corners because the characters are so well-developed and their situations, beneath the wanton absurdity, are fucking relatable to a shocking tee, and this means the final season has plenty of legroom to tie everything up - or not - as it deems worthy.

Christ the whole thing goes up tonight, doesn't it? And realistically I'm not gonna be able to cop it until after the weekend now. FUCK.

Blue Jam

Episodes 1-8 are up now. I was planning to binge-watch it tonight but four hours of BoJack in one go is too much even for me. Good to see season 6 will be 16 episodes in total, yay moar BoJack.

As much as I love this show I'm also glad it's coming to an end with this season. It does feel like something that should be tied up neatly rather than something which should run forever. More shows should take that approach.

I imagine the creators will be busy with Undone season 2 next, I'd like to see more of that but again, not too much more, maybe three seasons at the most (Nagsworth, that's another one for your To Watch list- don't worry, the episodes are short).

Anyone watched Tuca and Bertie? I've not noticed much discussion of it here. Is it worth a watch when there's so much telly and so little time?

Blue Jam

Any interesting guest stars in this series? Nowt on IMDB yet.

Best cameo for me was RuPaul as queen (geddit?) of the termites. Worst was the orphanage manager hedgehog played by Ricky fucking Gervais.

madhair60

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 25, 2019, 12:41:28 PMAnyone watched Tuca and Bertie? I've not noticed much discussion of it here. Is it worth a watch when there's so much telly and so little time?

Ehhh. I thought it was a little dull. Visually interesting but also thoroughly noisy. Tuca is horrible and Bertie is pathetic.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 25, 2019, 12:41:28 PM
Anyone watched Tuca and Bertie? I've not noticed much discussion of it here. Is it worth a watch when there's so much telly and so little time?

I liked it a lot and wished it had got a second season, but it's very much an acquired taste. madhair60's description is pretty accurate, to be honest, though I didn't find it dull.

Blue Jam

The one time I tried to watch it I thought "Nah, this is a bit noisy for me right now, I'll give it a go some other time".

That's another one I may never get around to watching...

alan nagsworth

For anyone on instagram I recommend following @lisadraws, the artist behind the character design of both shows. Her posts are frequently wonderful and insightful and very cute. She's great.

My friend was supposed to be coming over tonight but he's cancelled and now I'm like "oh no! I bought all these beers and I made this spicy root casserole especially and I have nothing with which to occupy myse—"

*Bojack theme song plays 8 times in a row at 30 minute intervals*

Blue Jam

Love the new intro. Also love the way it wasn't brought in until episode 2.

Blue Jam

alan nagsworth

God damn that second episode is a fucking blinder. The pace of it! The wordplay! The fucking HEART.

Agree that the new title sequence is brilliant too. Ugh man this shit is gonna ruin me

alan nagsworth

There were no spoilers on the full screen grab but I just wanted to crop this part of the frame because fucking hell the amount of detail pulsing through the entire show at any given moment is incredible.

"come to Brasil JAJAJA" is perfect.

alan nagsworth

WELP! I just got done watching all eight episodes. FYI: once you're done with this bunch, you've gotta wait till the end of January for the final episodes. Fucking hell.

What's even more "fucking hell" (for now) is the current episodes, because fucking HELL. I have shed some serious tears watching this. There are insane highs and lows. This is contemporary character drama at its absolute finest. As far as animated "dramedy" is concerned, this shit probably surpasses The Venture Bros in terms of how relentlessly gut-punching it is - not to discount VB, which is among the greatest things I've ever seen, but... well, BoJack is up there, man. Way up there.

I'll get into more analysis when I'm less drunk/tired and other people are up to speed and posting spoilers and that, but this has the potential to be a serious big hitter in terms of series finales, and I still have no idea where it's gonna go. Remarkable stuff.

The one concealed spoiler I can't help squirt out before I go to bed is: JUDAH!!

selectivememory

Going to read that post when I've watched the whole lot, but I'm four episodes in now and on the whole, this feels like good stuff. Episode 3 (the Diane one) was a bit of a drag, although not terrible - I just think Diane's at her most interesting when she's paired up with BoJack - but I really liked the Princess Carolyn one, which surprised me because all her boring "I want a baby" bollocks has easily been the worst part of the show for me in the previous two seasons. But now she's got the baby it feels like they have something interesting to say again with the character, and also, I think they executed what they were doing with that episode perfectly. Also enjoyed Episode 4 with everyone hiding from Mr Peanutbutter and Pickles while they have their argument. Good bit of farce, that.

Very surprised that Todd has become my favourite thing about this. Definitely was my least favourite character in the first few seasons, but he's just a joy now whatever he's up to. They really figured out how to use that character well.

selectivememory

I might post more later, but I finished this last night, and on reflection I think it's one of the strongest run of episodes in the entire life of the show. Maybe the earlier seasons had better standalone episodes, but in terms of storytelling over the course of a season, this was masterful, especially with the rug-pull of the eighth episode setting up the second half of the season perfectly. Those final eight episodes are going to be devastating though!

alan nagsworth

I had to google a couple of character names at the end of episode 8 as my memory was a bit fuzzy but uugghhh yeah it's gonna be a heavy one after this innit. Episode 7 with Bojack meeting the Horsin' Around stylist in rehab, the scene when she cuts his hair and when he confronts his horsedom (which is apparently actually a word) at the historical recreation in the church - especially with the prospect of hope and redemption which was then somewhat undone with the events of the following episode made me cry my fuckin eyes out. Spectacular.

NoSleep

Yes, it looks like they've set everything up for the last episodes in January, but we have been misdirected by this show before. I love it.

druss

This is the best cartoon about an alcoholic talking horse that I have ever seen.

madhair60

Cried like an absolute bitch at the very end bit of episode 7 with Diane. How often do you see such a matter-of-fact depiction of, well, that.

NJ Uncut

Sin Agog

I kind of wish it was less funny.  It absolutely knocks the melancholic capsule indie movie feel out of the park, but then there are still these laboured sitcom beats in there that feel increasingly out of place.

NoSleep

And they missed a trick by not making more of those rabid clown dentists.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: NoSleep on November 04, 2019, 08:54:48 PM
And they missed a trick by not making more of those rabid clown dentists.

I think you'll find they do illusions not tricks. A trick is what a bojack whoresman does for money.

NoSleep

But "they" in that sentence is Raphael Bob-Waksberg and crew, not some clown dentists.

BritishHobo

Just finished the second half of the first half of the season. Fucking hell I'm going to miss this show, while at the same time being thrilled that they're ending it with a season that just relentlessly knocks it out of the fucking park. Every spate moment of the season so far has been breathlessly tight and brilliant. Constant gutpunch of a show. I was so tense and stressed and delighted and terrified by the closer. We really are in for a great closer. I'm so happy it's a longer season overall. Often these splits leave you with halves that feel really insubstantial, but this by itself stands as satisfying. Obviously I'm desperate for part 2, but that's because it's a great cliffhanger rather than because (coughArrestedDevelopmentcough) it just doesn't feel like enough.

I love so much with this show that everything ultimately has an impact. So many shows just forget about major events, or backtrack development. Bojack always lulls you into thinking that's the case, and then fucking wallops you with it. I remember being a bit annoyed that the season after Sarah Lynn's death seemed to give no weight to the fact that it happened, but I did hold out hope, and of course here it is. Of course it was eventually going to have consequences. Everything that happens can be tracked back, so much thought goes into each character and their behaviour. Fuck I'm gonna miss it.