Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:39:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bojack Horseman (Season 6)

Started by NoSleep, October 21, 2019, 04:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 11, 2020, 10:51:06 PM
the journalists Paige Sinclair and Maximilian Banks are more closely a parody of Amy Archer and Smitty from "The Hudsucker Proxy", surely?
Paige Sinclair and Any Archer are both parodies of Katherine Hepburn. I haven't watched Hudsucker Proxy in a while, but Max isn't the Bruce Campbell type.

Edit: new Paige

alan nagsworth

YOUR A PARODY OF KATHEINE HEMPBURN :(

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

alan nagsworth

I pirated this so I didn't have the credits of the penultimate episode skipped by Netflix, and so I wasn't annoyed with the supposed "cop out" of yer man not carking it. I thought those last two episodes were brilliant, and as final seasons go, this one has been remarkably good.

I was particularly moved by Todd taking Bojack down to the beach to watch the fireworks, Princess Caroline finding true love with Judah (who is a spectacular character) and Mr. Peanutbutter going to therapy and confronting his problems using those same convoluted pop culture question-and-answers. I do wish they'd focused a little more on his depression in this season, however.

I have openly, audibly blubbered at this show a few times - I recall the end of season 3 absolutely fucking turned me inside out quite unlike anything else I'd ever seen before - and even though I had my doubts that they would actually kill Bojack in episode 15, as he struggled to find his way out of his death in that house and spoke to Diane on the phone, I was distraught. This show is a goddamn work of art.

At the end, Bojack and Diane on the roof together, with Diane all but saying she's got to move on from the Bojack/LA part of her life, resounded fucking hard with me. Diane, having taken time away from something and gained the perspective needed to realise she has to leave it behind entirely, is massively relatable. Pretty much every character's story remained open-ended with a sense of hope but also the lingering threat of possibly making similar mistakes again, but there has been a serious sense of growth and learning and adaptation in all of them, and it really felt like the perfect way to end the show. A character dying, or some other such big wrap-up, would have felt cheap. This show is human, and part of humanity is understanding at all times that good things and bad things are equally likely to occur at any time, either through your own fault or from powers beyond your control. This point was handled expertly in the show's final scene. Beautiful, brilliant stuff.

neveragain

olliebean

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 15, 2020, 10:52:00 AM
I pirated this so I didn't have the credits of the penultimate episode skipped by Netflix

BTW, you can turn that off now. It's under Playback Settings in your profile.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: olliebean on February 15, 2020, 01:29:03 PM
BTW, you can turn that off now. It's under Playback Settings in your profile.

Cheers for the info, I really hate that feature. I understand why you'd have it as an option for binge watching. "Skip Credits?" and you click a button or not. Just don't presume I want to hurtle straight into the next episode, Netflix prix. I like the credits. I'm not in that much of a hurry.

Due to the above, I missed the credits in the penultimate episode. I reckon I've only heard that song past "Back in the 90s I was in a famous TV show" a couple of times.

alan nagsworth

Ah man I never ever skip that song, always cancelled out of it (didn't know the option to disable the auto skip was a thing!), ditto the intro. One of the few shows where the grim poignancy of both credit sequences hits just as hard, if not more so, for every single episode.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 15, 2020, 02:18:35 PM
Ah man I never ever skip that song, always cancelled out of it (didn't know the option to disable the auto skip was a thing!), ditto the intro. One of the few shows where the grim poignancy of both credit sequences hits just as hard, if not more so, for every single episode.
I always watch the intro. I loved the Season 6 intro - Bojack stone sober as scenes from the lowest points of his life pass by in the background.

Egyptian Feast

I never skip the intro, especially for this show. I would cancel the auto-skip for the end credits, but the xbox controller always goes to sleep before I can. Glad I can finally turn it off. How long has that been an option?

olliebean

The "Don't auto-play the next episode" has been there for ages, but I think they only added the "Don't auto-play trailers for other things" option a couple of weeks or so ago.

druss

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 15, 2020, 10:52:00 AM
I pirated this so I didn't have the credits of the penultimate episode skipped by Netflix, and so I wasn't annoyed with the supposed "cop out" of yer man not carking it. I thought those last two episodes were brilliant, and as final seasons go, this one has been remarkably good.

I was particularly moved by Todd taking Bojack down to the beach to watch the fireworks, Princess Caroline finding true love with Judah (who is a spectacular character) and Mr. Peanutbutter going to therapy and confronting his problems using those same convoluted pop culture question-and-answers. I do wish they'd focused a little more on his depression in this season, however.

I have openly, audibly blubbered at this show a few times - I recall the end of season 3 absolutely fucking turned me inside out quite unlike anything else I'd ever seen before - and even though I had my doubts that they would actually kill Bojack in episode 15, as he struggled to find his way out of his death in that house and spoke to Diane on the phone, I was distraught. This show is a goddamn work of art.

At the end, Bojack and Diane on the roof together, with Diane all but saying she's got to move on from the Bojack/LA part of her life, resounded fucking hard with me. Diane, having taken time away from something and gained the perspective needed to realise she has to leave it behind entirely, is massively relatable. Pretty much every character's story remained open-ended with a sense of hope but also the lingering threat of possibly making similar mistakes again, but there has been a serious sense of growth and learning and adaptation in all of them, and it really felt like the perfect way to end the show. A character dying, or some other such big wrap-up, would have felt cheap. This show is human, and part of humanity is understanding at all times that good things and bad things are equally likely to occur at any time, either through your own fault or from powers beyond your control. This point was handled expertly in the show's final scene. Beautiful, brilliant stuff.
Great post, almost as moving as the show itself.

alan nagsworth

What a nice thing to say, thank you :)

Dewt

Fat shithead, dumb brain, don't post again

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Dewt on February 16, 2020, 08:38:41 PM
Fat shithead, dumb brain, don't post again

<< PREMIUM REPLY LOCKED FOR JUNIOR MEMBERS! >>

FORUM MEMBERS WITH ACCOUNTS OLDER THAN SIX MONTHS ONLY CAN VIEW THIS CONTENT.

UNLOCK THE PREMIUM "HUGGIES PULL-UPS" ACCOUNT FOR ONLY £5.99!

phantom_power

I only started watch this show a few months ago but have motored through them all and watched the final episode the other day. I can't remember a show that has stayed so consistently brilliant over 6 seasons (bar the shaky start), or a show that has stuck the landing so decisively.

I also don't think I have seen a show that has affected me so emotionally and stayed with me and changed the way I think and feel about things so much. It's musings on regret, redemption (or lack of), depression, privilege, power dynamics and everything else is unlike anything else on TV or otherwise

samadriel

Awhile after watching the final episode, I felt slightly bereaved that I'll never hear anything new from Todd or Diane again.  I've never felt that way upon finishing a TV show before, so good work, BH creators.  Now to watch Undone.

Blue Jam

Undone is genuinely one of the greatest series I have ever watched. Enjoy.

phantom_power

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 24, 2020, 10:05:52 AM
Undone is genuinely one of the greatest series I have ever watched. Enjoy.

I thought that but hadn't seen BH beforehand and now I think that Bojack is better. Given that Undone has only had one season so far though that could change if it develops at the same pace as BH did

Blue Jam

BoJack Horseman is also one of the greatest series I have ever seen! I think I prefer Undone though because it is ridiculously up my street and it speaks to me for personal reasons- similarities with the Catholic side of my family, losing my father early in life, him having been a bit more interested in science etc. They're very different shows but I love them both.

Still need to see Tuca and Bertie...