Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:35:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bojack Horseman (Season 6)

Started by NoSleep, October 21, 2019, 04:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudopath

It's not really a spoiler for this show as every season has one of those episodes. I was just warning people which one it was so that they could prepare accordingly.

I suppose I've ruined the whole show for you now that you know every season has a devastating episode, so sorry about that.

Thursday

I mean I was expecting it to be, but it  still could *potentially* be unexpectedly happy, but now you've made sure I know it's extra devastating... and so now the implication of that being that 16 isn't the most devastating. That's not helpful to me at all.

Anyway I know I'm probably just being the weird one here, so I'll leave the thread until it's all watched.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Thursday on January 31, 2020, 10:01:41 PM
I mean I was expecting it to be, but it  still could *potentially* be unexpectedly happy, but now you've made sure I know it's extra devastating... and so now the implication of that being that 16 isn't the most devastating. That's not helpful to me at all.

Sorry you feel that way, but I didn't imply that at all. You inferred it. I might not have even watched Episode 16 yet and certainly never made any comparisons between the two. Still, I hope I haven't ruined your enjoyment of the remaining episodes.

Captain Z

Somebody said that about one of the episodes in the last run and I don't remember feeling anything from it.

Quote from: Thursday on January 31, 2020, 09:33:45 PM
Why bother with comments like this? It's not technically a spoiler, but you're setting expectations in a way that's annoying.

I know I'm the idiot coming in here after only a few episodes, but still.

To be fair, the minute the episode starts, you know it's going to be devastating. Holy shit, I'm still reeling. Have had to compose myself before starting the final ep....

Dewt

Gonna have to binge watch them all right now starting at midnight to avoid spoilers. I keep absent mindedly opening this thread but fortunately avoided reading contents

Dewt

Hah, turns out the content of this thread was an argument about spoilers.

Dewt

I thought
Spoiler alert
a lot of this was very real, that's what was so devastating about it. Ep 15 was devastating in a dramatic way, but the rest was more so for me because of how real it was. Dianne especially, in two specific ways for me (one where I related to her and one where she reminded me of growing apart from people in general)
[close]

Thursday

I've watched them all now, and in my personal opinion, I'm very happy to say that they "stuck the landing"

Just so nice to have to something that remained consistently good throughout and ended at the right time.

Spoiler alert
I suppose, some would say they should have ended it with Bojack dying, in some ways that would have been braver, but in other ways I don't think it would quite would have fit, really think the tone they ended it on is right for the show
[close]

Cardenio I

Fuck me, this show is good. All told that's got to be one of the best last seasons of anything. Look forward to seeing how it all holds together as one unit on a rewatch.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Thursday on February 01, 2020, 02:36:58 PM
Spoiler alert
I suppose, some would say they should have ended it with Bojack dying, in some ways that would have been braver, but in other ways I don't think it would quite would have fit, really think the tone they ended it on is right for the show
[close]

Spoiler alert
I initially thought this, but in retrospect I think the somewhat-vague epilogue we get is more fitting for the show. BoJack doesn't really get any redemption and will more than likely fall into his old ways and repeat the same mistakes once he's out of prison.
[close]

selectivememory

I didn't need them to
Spoiler alert
kill BoJack, but I hated the fact that they essentially did, and then went "haha, not really" at the beginning of the next episode
[close]
. Kind of soured the rest of the finale for me. Otherwise up to that point I thought it was pretty much a perfect final season.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I just finished it and oh wow.

Spoiler alert
Bad stuff first - I felt like they did that thing they've done over and over, where BoJack fucks up and decides to turn himself around but then he fucks up AGAIN and decides no this is it, this time I'll come clean and then he fucks up AGAIN, EVEN MORE. I thought the bit where Secretariat speaking for Butterscotch and telling BoJack he actually cared too much was a bit of a cop-out since it's the penultimate episode ever. I know this is a dying hallucination and it's something that BoJack wishes were true about his father rather than something Butterscotch actually felt, but it came across like the writers realised they'd never really addressed BoJack's relationship with his father so let's explicitly cram something in here at the end. I also wish we could've seen Hollyhock in person one more time, but then BoJack was blowing up her phone so much it makes sense that she wrote him a letter and changed her number.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Good stuff - all the main characters are left in better places at the end. I cheered when Diane said Guy was no longer her boyfriend and then showed BoJack her ring. Mr. Peanutbutter is in therapy, and while I'm sorry we didn't get to see him actually make up his mind to start going, it works if you take BoJack as the POV character. He's never been interested in Mr. Peanutbutter's personal life and he's been in prison for the past year, it makes sense that he wouldn't know about this.

It's also nice, after five-ish seasons of watching our mains desperately seek happiness from external sources only to be disappointed over and over and OVER WE GET IT, to see so many of them finally make progress, progress that the show wants you to believe will last. And I do believe it. I knew they'd do it up right.
[close]

Dannyhood91

Quote from: Pseudopath on January 31, 2020, 07:52:42 PM
Warning all: Episode 15 is DEVASTATING.

Jesus fuck man I've just watched it and you're right.

NoSleep

Spoiler alert
I'm glad they didn't kill him and I loved how incredibly mundane the finale was.
[close]

neveragain

Ha, absolutely. That must have been the point.

neveragain

I adored the penultimate episode, particularly the
Spoiler alert
8 and a half minute dinner table scene
[close]

Was it just me misunderstanding or
Spoiler alert
did Hollyhock kill herself?
[close]

Also, less shockingly,
Spoiler alert
did the dialogue in Diane and Bojack's last rooftop convo mirror their first?
[close]

Thursday

Quote from: neveragain on February 01, 2020, 09:52:35 PM

Spoiler alert
[close]

Definitely not my interpretation.

robotam

Well, this was certainly some more Bojack Horseman. I think its a really interesting show and there were still lots of great little gags but maybe it didn't need so many episodes. I realize there is already a defense of that built into the show; so much of it is about patterns and the work it takes to avoid falling into them. It's just, the show also gets very formulaic. That said, enjoyed the last episode.

Spoiler alert
[close]

Spoiler alert
Nah, she just had enough of Bojack. He'd have taken it much worse and there would have been a weird Sarah Lynn-Hollyhock hybrid in the penultimate episode.
[close]

Spoiler alert
[close]

No.
Spoiler alert
She sent him a letter cutting him off and changed her phone number, that's why it was out of service. The writers took care in season four to show that Hollyhock's eight dads are raising her to be emotionally stable, telling her it's okay to cry and not to feel bad about feeling sad. Contrast that with Beatrice telling BoJack not to dare cry and later asking Henrietta what crying will achieve. Hollyhock may have that nasty little Horseman voice inside her telling her she's a stupid piece of shit but she's gonna be all right. Plus, killing her off offscreen would've been really, really cheap.
[close]

neveragain

All that makes sense. Think I jumped to that conclusion because of personal stuff. It's much better that she's fine.

Quote from: selectivememory on February 01, 2020, 05:58:27 PM
I didn't need them to
Spoiler alert
kill BoJack, but I hated the fact that they essentially did, and then went "haha, not really" at the beginning of the next episode
[close]
. Kind of soured the rest of the finale for me. Otherwise up to that point I thought it was pretty much a perfect final season.
I thought it was a bit of a cop-out on first viewing, too. However,
Spoiler alert
if BoJack had drowned in the pool of his recently repossessed home after a spectacular relapse, the story in Hollywoob would've been a tragic tale of a disgraced star who couldn't live with the guilt anymore and committed suicide. He doesn't get a public outpouring of posthumous sympathy and I don't think he would want it. BoJack's done and been complicit in a lot of bad things that most people don't know about, and he's desperately wanted to be held accountable and to be properly punished in some way for them. Prison is his happy ending. Now he feels like he's being held accountable. That's why he describes his sentence as not only being for breaking into the house but for a lot of things. I feel optimistic for him, he's been sober for a year and he's managed to stay clean in prison. And he's apprehensive about leaving in case he falls back into bad habits, which means he knows he's not cured/fixed, which means he's more likely to seek help to stay on the straight and narrow.
[close]

selectivememory

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on February 02, 2020, 12:30:41 PM
I thought it was a bit of a cop-out on first viewing, too. However,
Spoiler alert
if BoJack had drowned in the pool of his recently repossessed home after a spectacular relapse, the story in Hollywoob would've been a tragic tale of a disgraced star who couldn't live with the guilt anymore and committed suicide. He doesn't get a public outpouring of posthumous sympathy and I don't think he would want it. BoJack's done and been complicit in a lot of bad things that most people don't know about, and he's desperately wanted to be held accountable and to be properly punished in some way for them. Prison is his happy ending. Now he feels like he's being held accountable. That's why he describes his sentence as not only being for breaking into the house but for a lot of things. I feel optimistic for him, he's been sober for a year and he's managed to stay clean in prison. And he's apprehensive about leaving in case he falls back into bad habits, which means he knows he's not cured/fixed, which means he's more likely to seek help to stay on the straight and narrow.
[close]

I wouldn't even call it a cop-out exactly.
Spoiler alert
I just felt like they were trying to have their cake and eat it with that. I didn't like that they led us to believe he was dead. They wanted to hit us with the emotional impact of BoJack dying, and then pulled it back for the ending they wanted to do. Because I watched those episodes back to back, I found it very hard to change gears and go with it. I wouldn't have minded at all if they'd brought him back from the brink at the very end of that episode, but the way they did it really rubbed me the wrong way. It just seemed incredibly cheap and hacky.
[close]

No problems really with how the finale panned out after that. I think I was just annoyed with how much I hated what they did at the beginning of the episode.

druss

Spoiler alert
It would have worked better in a series where the episodes are released weekly, agreed. I quite like that they didn't kill him, for me that was the obvious way to go. Particularly if it had been him drowning in his pool which seemed telegraphed from the opening credits in the first episode.

Overall, 6 seasons of brilliant television with a decent enough finale. Not many shows can say that
[close]

Blumf

Quote from: selectivememory on February 02, 2020, 12:59:28 PM
Spoiler alert
I wouldn't have minded at all if they'd brought him back from the brink at the very end of that episode,
[close]

Spoiler alert
Did you pay attention to the 'music' on the end credits
[close]
?

Dewt

Yeah, if you let that episode play out in full you'll find it resolves itself.

neveragain

Yes, something Netflix helped hide.

selectivememory

Haha, no I didn't notice that in my haste to get to the next episode.

Thursday

God netflix's cutting off on the end credits really does annoy me, but particularly for the last episode. Cunts.

Blumf

What did that Bird-lady represent in S06E15? The closest answer I've seen says
Spoiler alert
But, I don't know, maybe? Seems like there's more to it than that.

EDIT: Spoiler tag doesn't block links, so I've had to fiddle with it in a way that doesn't work. You need to highlight the text.