Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:31:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Neil Diamond is brilliant.

Started by Dusty Substance, October 21, 2019, 07:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

He may not have ever recorded the kind of album to appear on a "100 Best Albums Ever" list, but there are several essential Best Ofs containing some absolutely brilliant songs. As far as I'm  concerned, live albums don't "count" when it comes to listing great records, but Hot August Night is a real treat.

Kentucky Woman, Cherry Cherry, Solitary Man, I'm a Believer, Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon, Red Red Wine and The Boat That I Row are all fantastic singles.

When it comes to singing Neils, Diamond is better than Young.

Any other Diamond Heads on these boards?

BlodwynPig

Hot August Night was a staple on family car journeys in the 80s

Saw him live in Newcastle in the early 2000s.

Some great tunes, good voice, but not someone in my record collection

wosl

Am not really in a position to say whether he's brilliant or not right now (although he's respected by a fair few other singer-songwriters), but one small thing I can say: he didn't half blend awkwardly with the other guest performers in The Last Waltz concert, and film of same.  Dry Your Eyes he does, and it's a major momentum sapper (most probably apocryphal, but Diamond's supposed to have exited from the stage after his performance, bumped into Dylan and said "Top that!" To which Dylan is said to have replied, "By falling asleep?").  Really should've done Sweet Caroline or Beautiful Noise.

maett

He was the soundtrack to a 1977 family holiday to Malta. A restaurant called Sirens introduced an 8 year old me to Sweet Caroline/Cracklin' Rose etc and the delicious taste of swordfish. Still enjoy both to this day. Favorites would be I am...I Said, Brother Love's and I'm a Believer.  Sweet Caroline is usually the second song I sing when doing kareoke sessions in South Korea and it's surprising how many of the 20 somethings I work with know it and join in.

TheMonk

Some very very good tracks (mostly early) and some absolute bollocks. Forever In Blue Jeans, that one that says inexplicably "not even the chair", What A Beautiful Noise... Urgh...

Jockice

One of very few artists my parents owned records by. When he played locally at the start of the century I got him tickets and let him write the review. When he saw his name in the paper he rushed off to show his mates in the pub and was so excited he tripped up and broke his wrist. Bless.

Custard

He denies saying anything to Dylan at The Last Waltz. I only know that cos I watched it for the first time recently, and then was reading up about it afterwards

Doomy Dwyer

Quote from: Jockice on October 22, 2019, 01:03:13 PM
One of very few artists my parents owned records by. When he played locally at the start of the century I got him tickets and let him write the review. When he saw his name in the paper he rushed off to show his mates in the pub and was so excited he tripped up and broke his wrist. Bless.

This is very confusing, you've lost me here.

You got tickets for Neil Diamond to review his own concert? Or do you mean you got tickets for your dad? Who broke their arms, Diamond or Jockice père? Are Diamond and your father two separate entities? Or are they a solitary man?

Jockice

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on October 22, 2019, 02:00:58 PM
This is very confusing, you've lost me here.

You got tickets for Neil Diamond to review his own concert? Or do you mean you got tickets for your dad? Who broke their arms, Diamond or Jockice père? Are Diamond and your father two separate entities? Or are they a solitary man?

Sorry, I'll be more specific. None of this actually happened. I woke up and it had all been a dream.

I do like the idea of Neil Diamond being thrilled to see his name in the Sheffield Star though.

SpiderChrist

Great songwriter, can't stand his singing voice. I Am, I Said and Beautiful Noise would probably be amazing if sung by someone good.

Rizla

nah fuck off, guy's a tin pan alley bellend cunt.

jobotic

The Boat That I Row is brilliant, but not too keen on him or Lulu singing it. This'll do me.

https://youtu.be/lJUEfoJRaw0

TheMonk

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 22, 2019, 02:24:46 PM
Great songwriter, can't stand his singing voice. I Am, I Said and Beautiful Noise would probably be amazing if sung by someone good.
No they are both dross. Who would make these sound amazing? Who? No one. Not even the Cher.

Dr Rock

Quote from: TheMonk on October 22, 2019, 12:51:28 PM
Ssome absolute bollocks [...] that one that says inexplicably "not even the chair"... Urgh...

Get out.

Dr Rock

Quote from: jobotic on October 22, 2019, 02:39:05 PM
The Boat That I Row is brilliant, but not too keen on him or Lulu singing it. This'll do me.

https://youtu.be/lJUEfoJRaw0

Was not aware of that version, thanks x

(But it's not as good as Neil or Lulu's)

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 22, 2019, 03:45:50 PM
Was not aware of that version, thanks x

(But it's not as good as Neil or Lulu's)

I wasn't aware of it, either but really loved the sound of it. Went straight over to Discogs to buy the E.P but it's fairly sought after and is currently averaging out at £35 a go. I'll stick with Neil's charity shop best of for the time being.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Rizla on October 22, 2019, 02:30:21 PM
nah fuck off, guy's a tin pan alley bellend cunt.

Never liked Elton John

but Neil is diamond

Dusty Substance

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 21, 2019, 08:23:37 PM

Saw him live in Newcastle in the early 2000s.

Lucky you. He appears to have retired from live shows so I'll probably never get to see him now.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 22, 2019, 06:10:08 PM
Lucky you. He appears to have retired from live shows so I'll probably never get to see him now.

Yeah, he's been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. Sad news.

I agree that Diamond is a brilliant songwriter, one of the all-time pop greats. When you're a discerning Diamond fan you have to accept that he was, at times, incredibly naff and corny, but that's all part of his charm. I Am, I Said is a fairly absurd song lyrically, but I love how he delivers it with the utmost sincerity. He's the king of earnest bombast.

Also, when I saw him in concert about ten years ago, it became clear that he is, partially at least, in on the joke. He was wearing a ghastly sequined shirt, which he made fun of, and generally took the gentle piss out of himself all night. He was like a kind of Vegas Terry Wogan.

poodlefaker

The Jewish Elvis. Fantastic. Although one thing that bugs me is the way Sweet Caroline has become some sort of drunken rugby singalong thing in the last few years. Last time I went to the  races at Cheltenham I must've heard it 20 times in one day. Why? I want to blame Chris Evans somehow.

sardines

I love watching any sport anywhere and seeing a bunch of cunts singing Sweet Caroline.
Every good sport event ruined by Sweet Caroline
Every shit sport event ruined by Sweet Caroline
Sweet Caroline dah dah dah you bunch of cunts dah dah dah

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Fuck sport, how dare it ruin Sweet Caroline for the rest of us.

Dusty Substance

Tom Scharpling on how Sweet Caroline became "perverted" by "fans": https://youtu.be/vRJvoeA9yRk?t=278

maett

What sport uses Sweet Caroline? Can't recall hearing it at a football match. It's not the rugby crowd is it? Shit I'm going to have to take it out of my kareoke set list but that'll leave me with only Gay Bar and No Surprises. I'm not sure that's a balanced image I want' to share with colleagues.

Dusty Substance

I think it's only American sports. So, not real sports.