Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:31:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Zombieland: Double Tap

Started by Famous Mortimer, October 21, 2019, 10:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Anyone seen it? I rather enjoyed it. Good to see those characters back again, the extension of the world felt well thought out, not perfect I guess and act 1 was a bit on the slow side, but two enthusiastic thumbs up from this reviewer.

up_the_hampipe

Zoey Deutch really stole the show on this one. I went in with fairly low expectations, considering the likes of Anchorman and Zoolander have come back for underwhelming sequels many years after the original, but this was surprisingly good. Hopefully that's it though.

madhair60

Zombieland is one of the worst films I've ever seen so no

shit post tbh sorry.

Enrico Palazzo

Aye, I found it surprisingly enjoyable once it got past the initial awkwardness that comes with a several-years-too-late sequel.

TrenterPercenter

Same, I had reasonably low expectations even though I enjoyed the first one but it was really good for this kind of thing didn't over do itself with some genuinely funny moments.  Zoey Deutchs character was a good spin on the ditzy millennial which worked really well and didn't even seem a rehash of so many similar characters before.

Pretty enjoyable all round for this kindof thing 4/5

kalowski

Ooh, I'm looking forward to this. I caught Zombieland by accident a few years ago and fucking loved it. The whole Bill Murray stuff was just brilliant.

SavageHedgehog

It was OK, if predictably unnecessary. I thought the early credits scene with Murray was the best part, surprising as I found the cameo in the first one to be a bit cringey. This one I thought actually pushed him to flex comedic muscles I don't think he's flexed in years.

kidsick5000

Pointless sequel with ascript that was designed to go out much earlier but only adjusted to mention that it's 10 years later.
And by doing that, too little makes sense. Zoey Deutch (the film's MVP), it does not make sense that she's been living in a fridge for a decade.
It does not make sense that Berkeley is a pacifist.
Why does it forget about the variants of zombies?
Why has it forgotten the back story of Talahassee?
And after 10 years of zombies, including the Walking Dead, you don't want to reference it beyond a mention of the comic?

The second act doesn't really make sense because How has Babylon existed never attracted zombies before? Why does setting off fireworks after the zombie horde falls not attract more T-800s?

And that fucking scene with Thomas Middleditch and Jesse Eisenberg geeking out over each other is excruciating.

Aside from that, it's not terrible, just not what it could have been

lipsink

Yeah, just felt like a pointless sequel made about 8 years too late too. Woody Harrelson is always great but just seemed like Emma Stone is way above this sorta stuff by now. What the fuck has been Jesse Eisenberg been doing for the last while? Had such a promising start to his career (Rodger Dodger, The Squid and The Whale, Adventureland, Zombieland, The Social Network). Has he done anything decent since The Social Network that I've missed?

The ditzy blonde character just seemed horribly dated and misogynist too.

kidsick5000

Quote from: lipsink on November 01, 2019, 03:51:07 PM
Yeah, just felt like a pointless sequel made about 8 years too late too. Woody Harrelson is always great but just seemed like Emma Stone is way above this sorta stuff by now. What the fuck has been Jesse Eisenberg been doing for the last while? Had such a promising start to his career (Rodger Dodger, The Squid and The Whale, Adventureland, Zombieland, The Social Network). Has he done anything decent since The Social Network that I've missed?

The ditzy blonde character just seemed horribly dated and misogynist too.

The characters in some way reflected the actors.
Harrelson/Talahassee will go along with anything
Emma Stone/Wichita Is looking to get out at the earliest opportunity
And Eisenberg/Columbus is quite happy because Zombieland is good for him.

BritishHobo

The sidelining of Abigail Breslin is really weird. They set up this story with her and it turns out to just be something which gets her off-screen, and which they just barely remember to tie-up at the end ('oh yeah I never liked the pretentious guy after all, probably'). Same with the Eisenberg/Stone relationship stuff. And Babylon seemed like something that was meant to be really savage satire but which they backed off of.

It did make me laugh a lot, and Woody and Jesse have a lovely chemistry which always shines through.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 01, 2019, 05:39:20 PM
The sidelining of Abigail Breslin is really weird. They set up this story with her and it turns out to just be something which gets her off-screen, and which they just barely remember to tie-up at the end ('oh yeah I never liked the pretentious guy after all, probably'). Same with the Eisenberg/Stone relationship stuff. And Babylon seemed like something that was meant to be really savage satire but which they backed off of.

It did make me laugh a lot, and Woody and Jesse have a lovely chemistry which always shines through.
I thought Babylon was more a positive than it was a satire that was backed away from. Good principles, a little naive and they probably need a better defence department, but good people who are happy to help others out.

Breslin's subplot was possibly to keep her off screen (did she have other commitments?) but it's the douchebag guy that women in movies often get together with before realising their previous situation is where they were happiest.

kidsick5000

Babylon shows how much they've forgotten what worked first time round.
The Rules were a comment on the zombie/horror films of the time.
Babylon was an ideal way to comment on the trope that has emerged since (Walking Dead, The Rain, Book of Eli) of a seeming Oasis hiding a terrible secret. Usually it's that the commune are cannibals
In fact, Double Tap has two of them.

Was Rosario Dawson in it to divert from the possibility that Tallahassee has designs on Little Rock?

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: lipsink on November 01, 2019, 03:51:07 PM
Woody Harrelson is always great but just seemed like Emma Stone is way above this sorta stuff by now.

I thought her recurring impersonation of a Monster Truck Rally announcer (via The Simpsons?) was shockingly poor, as in anyone could have done it better poor. But maybe that was meant to be endearing?