Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:37:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Herzog - Nomad (Bruce Chatwin doc)

Started by Twit 2, October 21, 2019, 11:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Wtf? This is on iplayer and will drop off soon. I only know about it cos he's turned up in Pseud's Corner. Anyone seen it yet?

Lost Oliver

Sin Agog

Read Chatwin's In Patagonia after Herzog cited it as one of his favourite books.  Dug its spirit of adventure...and all the chat about dessicated megatherium skin and whatnot.  Then, on the only time I ever met up with someone from the internets, a catatonic Canadian bore who only piped up to say 'this sucks' or 'this doesn't suck' after appearing seemingly eloquent online, I gave it to him as a little memento, as he claimed to be a Herzog fan.  He left first.  When I gathered my things a few minutes later and walked out myself, I saw that he'd left the book on the ledge outside the bar.  Moral of the story: all internet folks apart from me are ungrateful dullards with fuck all to say in person.

Anyway, ta for the thread.  Had no idea this doc even existed.  It's extremely lightweight and a bit naff, but I did enjoy that Herzy Loch Ness doc.

hedgehog90

I dug the stuff about song lines. Still not sure what they are exactly but I enjoyed the enigma of it all.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 22, 2019, 11:28:46 PM
Read Chatwin's In Patagonia after Herzog cited it as one of his favourite books.  Dug its spirit of adventure...and all the chat about dessicated megatherium skin and whatnot.  Then, on the only time I ever met up with someone from the internets, a catatonic Canadian bore who only piped up to say 'this sucks' or 'this doesn't suck' after appearing seemingly eloquent online, I gave it to him as a little memento, as he claimed to be a Herzog fan.  He left first.  When I gathered my things a few minutes later and walked out myself, I saw that he'd left the book on the ledge outside the bar.  Moral of the story: all internet folks apart from me are ungrateful dullards with fuck all to say in person.

Anyway, ta for the thread.  Had no idea this doc even existed.  It's extremely lightweight and a bit naff, but I did enjoy that Herzy Loch Ness doc.

That's so sad, what a fool. He could've at least taken it home and throw it down the toilet or something.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Lost Oliver on October 23, 2019, 08:06:42 AM
That's so sad, what a fool. He could've at least taken it home and throw it down the toilet or something.

Into the Abyss 2

Lost Oliver

kittens

is the only version on iplayer the one with the sign language fella in the corner? because that is very distracting

Twit 2

Yeah normal version's been up on there for ages and expired last night so now it's just the signing version.

kittens

Lost Oliver

Twit 2

I highly recommend this, worth a watch even with the signing bloke.

Impressions/Minor spoilers:

The 2nd half in particular is very moving. I had been aware of their friendship but didn't realise just how much they had in common, or just what close friends they were. The famously unflappable Herzog seemed close to tears at times.

I'd read about the production of Scream of Stone and Cobra Verde in the Paul Cronin book, but a while ago, so I did chuckle at reminding myself of what an absolute nails bastard Herzog was, sitting out a storm in -20 for 55 hours with a bar of chocolate. And the mind boggles to think about what Kinski was like in Cobra Verde for Herzog to deem him "not possible to work with anymore."

And because it wouldn't be a Herzog film without some barking mad bits in, we're treated to him doing a pretty good Australian accent and reminiscing about offering to euthanise an AIDS-ravaged Chatwin with a baseball bat to the face.

The footage of the prehistoric hand paintings, although similar in tone to Cave of Forgotten dreams, was so haunting. I also wonder if Herzog has seen Free Solo, Honnold being a prime example of an austere yet quixotic seeker of pure experience.

It will be a sad day when Herzog is gone. The sights he's seen! Maybe only David Attenborough has lived such an incredible life and done such a service to the public by making it their life's work to tell us about it.

In conclusion: I love Werner Herzog and so should you.