Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Outer Worlds - new RPG from Obsidian

Started by Mobius, October 23, 2019, 04:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

remedial_gash

Played about 30 minutes this afternoon, and It's all sort of familiar so far, seems very charming and I like that I can be a dodgy lying git from the start. Not much more to add except that it seems quite well optimised on PC, as my ancient setup runs it without issue on low/medium settings.

wooders1978

Played about 45 mins today - this is about as legally close to a fallout game as they could have got away with I reckon - there's a kind of VATS system - There are dialogue choices etc etc

Space ghost

While there's a brief witcher 3 discussion going on, does anyone else find Geralt reminds them of Xavier renegade angel? His manner of speaking, the exaggerated way he moves in cutscenes, facial expressions and just his whole deal really.

Quote from: Space ghost on October 25, 2019, 04:29:25 PM
While there's a brief witcher 3 discussion going on, does anyone else find Geralt reminds them of Xavier renegade angel? His manner of speaking, the exaggerated way he moves in cutscenes, facial expressions and just his whole deal really.

Yeah, that's what struck me immediately. Absolutely hilarious once you get it in your head. I miss Xavier.

Default, I got my first Victory Royale on Fortnite the other day. Great game man. Have fun with this.

When you try to tell Boston about real RPGs, but he wants to play Fortnite instead:

Bitch I'm playing a REAL PC NEET RPG RN it's a lil game called DEVINITY ORIGENAL SIN 2 an I'm loving it like any other of you PC guys except I'm not on a fuckin REGISTER

'I play old-school RPGs too, guys. My favourite is Fable: The Lost Chapters. It's fantasy but it knows to be tongue-in-cheek, which is just my kind of humour! I also like Divinity and Trine. They're so colourful and light-hearted.'

You sicken me in every possible way.

Hmph. Which one? Choose carefully. This is your one chance at RPG redemption.

Zetetic

Quote from: Default to the negative on October 25, 2019, 03:31:06 PM
I suppose we have different hopes for this genre. You want a free sandbox - you want to 'muck about' at the captain's table - whereas I prefer something with more direction and structure.
No, that's not the difference between us.

QuoteWitcher's levelling system does a good job of forcing you down specific paths,
No, it doesn't even do this very well. It's oblique in practice, is poorly integrated with the design of the world (why is this camp of half-naked starving yokels harder than a monster the size of two houses?), with other systems, and can be overcome by a player (tediously and joylessly).

Quotewhich is something I agree with.
Why, when it makes no sense in the context of the story, its themes or the character you're playing?

A trivial example where the game fights against itself is that you can frequently take contracts as you pass through an area (like, for example, Geralt might) that you cannot complete until a lot later in the game. This means then deliberately backtracking across the map, directly away from the search for Ciri, to an area that you now don't remember properly to play through a story set a place at odds with where you've reached in the main narrative of the game.

The levelling mechanic is a mistake. It undermines the structure of the story, so that it can half-heartedly implement a sandbox-y mechanic.

And he's only played like a hour talkin shit about Skyrim like he's an authentic GOG transphobe CDPR bro.

Alberon

Getting back to The Outer Worlds I played an hour or so of this tonight and it's Fallout with the serial numbers filed off. Retro-futurism only with more colour and less radiation.

This isn't a bad thing.

I'm just wandering around the first town and I've just picked up the first companion. Like KOTOR when you leave the ship you can take up to two companions with you. Great fun so far.

Quote from: Zetetic on October 25, 2019, 10:44:25 PM
The levelling mechanic is a mistake. It undermines the structure of the story, so that it can half-heartedly implement a sandbox-y mechanic.

If you have a freeform jack-of-all-trades system, you end up in a game like Skyrim as a master of none. Every random jumble of stats has to be viable, so there can be no real tactics or class-specific challenges in the game. It has to be possible for anyone, with anything, to complete the game by bumbling their way through. Which you can. And it's boring after 15 hours.

Witcher 3 makes you step back and think about your abilities, your available slots, and your strategies.

Mister Six

Quote from: Timothy on October 25, 2019, 02:09:59 PM
After seven to eight hours you are still at the absolute beginning of the game and you haven't scratched the surface yet.
I didn't really like the game upon the Baron, which was approx 20 hours in. After that it clicked and it became one of the best games I ever played.

I've played it for fucking hours and it's middling at best. Good writing, great characters and gorgeous weather engine, but the combat is pish and it's repetitive as hell. Probably my fault for plugging away at the fifteen million sidequests instead of just ploughing through the plot and doing sidequests I fancied looking at, but I gather that leads to levelling misery.

Mister Six

Quote from: Default to the negative on October 26, 2019, 12:33:46 AM
If you have a freeform jack-of-all-trades system, you end up in a game like Skyrim as a master of none. Every random jumble of stats has to be viable, so there can be no real tactics or class-specific challenges in the game. It has to be possible for anyone, with anything, to complete the game by bumbling their way through. Which you can. And it's boring after 15 hours.

Witcher 3 makes you step back and think about your abilities, your available slots, and your strategies.

No it doesn't! Slash, jump-roll, slash, jump-roll, maybe toss a dancing star. You can take care of about 90 percent of the monsters this way. The other 10 just need shooting down with a crossbow first.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Default to the negative on October 26, 2019, 12:33:46 AM

I fucking hate Skyrim as a boring piece of shit and yet you're losing me hard with this pseudodesigner ballbag-slapping speech. What's your fucking point you stumbling prick? You're talking shit. Play a record.

Mobius

I've put a few hours into The Outer Worlds and I absolutely love it. It really does feel like New Vegas. Really good fun, awesome game.

Thursday

Quote from: Space ghost on October 25, 2019, 04:29:25 PM

I did keep thinking of this, yes. It's gratifying to see someone else express this after all these years.

Moribunderast

Have put probably ten-odd hours into this so far and really enjoying it. They've basically moved into the niche Bethesda have refused to fill and made a new IP that is Fallout in all but name and brownness. The setting of corporate space dystopia is a nice change from the nuclear fallout but the gameplay and questlines feel familiar, so if you're a fan of Fallout, particularly New Vegas, this seems like it will be the game for you.

I've mopped up all the quests I could find in the first area and have now ventured to a second area and you can see how much the game is opening up. I don't expect it to be too vast and I actually like the idea of smaller planets/asteroids to explore as opposed to a large single wasteland. Hopefully they take advantage of that to vary things artistically and potentially gameplay-wise.

But yes, thus far it is living up to the hype I'd built up for myself.

Thursday

I've seen someone saying all the talk of how similar this is to New Vegas, actually puts them off it a bit, and I think I agree. I liked New Vegas, but don't need another one.

Mister Six

Quote from: Thursday on October 26, 2019, 09:30:35 AM
I did keep thinking of this, yes. It's gratifying to see someone else express this after all these years.

Yeah, I thought that too. Wonder if there's a mod out there....?

Twed

brat-sampson

Every damn time I play a game like this I tend to go the 'moral' route, thinking it's a first playthrough and I should be playing it as intended. This time though, maybe because it's on Gamepass or I don't know, but I'm just gonna try and be the sneakiest cruelest SO(a)B on the planet and see how that goes. Sorry mate, you want me to defend you from the shitty corporation's defense force? I'm just gonna tell them where you are and take their sweet sweet credits.

Ultra capitalist tory cunt, out to save his own neck and make megabucks.

I'll report back on how that goes.

H-O-W-L

Been playing this on Gapearse and it's quite good. Not a ground breaking RPG but a pretty good one so far.

wooders1978

Something isn't clicking for me - I am getting bored very easily I playing this is my main concern

Same here, I think it feels too familiar unless you're a particular fan of this stuff. It feels no different to Fallout 3 really, just a bit tarted up, polished and less expansive. I can see how it's a refined version though and the combat feels better to me. If I were into this stuff, I could imagine it being GOTY material.

H-O-W-L

What I really like about it is that the dialogue with other characters, and the (admittedly quite heavy) satire of 1900s corporatism is pretty bang-on and usually quite funny. The part that made me choke on my coffee was when the lady in the cannery said she was blamed for a man's suicide because she was his "closest living relative". But then in the same breath she says he wasn't family, which makes her reveal she was the closest living person relative to him after his death, and that meant she was liable to pay for his burial costs. Utterly fantastic stuff.

Timothy

Agreed that was absolutely hilarious.

Really enjoying the game so far. The dialogue is great, combat is fun, cool RPG so far.

Only thing I'm missing is a non lethal sneak attack option. Is there a way to fight people without alerting everybody near them?