Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:53:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

SCIENCE NEWS THREAD

Started by Blue Jam, October 23, 2019, 10:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

BlodwynPig

Toad has been driving for decades

imitationleather

So my girlfriend can add rats to the list she has of things that are more accomplished than me.

Alberon

QuoteSix female and 11 male rats were trained to drive the car in rectangular arenas up to 4 square metres in size. This involved rewarding them with Froot Loop cereal pieces when they touched the steering bars and drove the car forward.

I wish I was rewarded with fruit loop cereal pieces when I touch the steering wheel.

*sigh*

touchingcloth

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 23, 2019, 10:31:24 AM
Link for nerds (sadly this one's not open access):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/31629004/

Sci-Hub link for non-academic nerds wanting to read more than an abstract: https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.bbr.2019.112309

Dex Sawash

Love that they built the car from repurposed cafeteria garbage.

U of Richmond is the Spiders, my wife can't watch a game on their home court.

Poobum

This is delightful I am going remain blissfully unaware of any potential of those rats having their brains scooped out for a good old poke.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dex Sawash on October 23, 2019, 12:18:06 PM
U of Richmond is the Spiders, my wife can't watch a game on their home court.

Love it. Now I want that logo on a t-shirt.

Blue Jam

shiftwork2

It's amazing what they can do these days.  It is though isn't it?  Amazing.

dr beat

Octopus like 'what evs mate, I'm driving off in me mobile home to predict football results'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUN6c5yWJhQ

BlodwynPig

Just seen imitation leather get into the back of an Uber...driven by a rat!

thenoise

QuoteSix female and 11 male rats were trained to drive the car in rectangular arenas up to 4 square metres in size. This involved rewarding them with Froot Loop cereal pieces when they touched the steering bars and drove the car forward

Dumb animal presses face against button in exchange for food.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: thenoise on October 23, 2019, 06:13:02 PM
Dumb animal presses face against button in exchange for food.
... mum calls thenoise downstairs for supper

Gurke and Hare

There isn't a single person in the world who isn't going to click play on a video entitled "A rat driving a tiny car" is there?

BlodwynPig

Jackson K Pollock

...serious about going to Itchy & Scratchy land.

Blue Jam

Cannibalistic radioactive ants. Crants:

ONE MILLION CANNIBAL ANTS TRAPPED IN SOVIET NUCLEAR BUNKER HAVE ESCAPED

QuoteA "colony" of up to one million cannibal ants trapped in a nuclear bunker for years have escaped, scientists in Poland have said.

The ants, which had no food source other than their dead nestmates, were first discovered in 2013 were found to be solely made up of worker ants meaning they could not reproduce—how their numbers grew so large was a mystery.

In a study published in the Journal of Hymenoptera Research, researchers have now studied the colony to understand how it functioned—and installed an escape route to see if its members would leave their home given the option.

"HENNIMOOOOORRRRRE!"

Blue Jam

...oh come on, not one joke about how Radioactive Cannibal Ants could be a low-budget Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ripoff? I give up...

touchingcloth

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 23, 2019, 06:23:26 PM
There isn't a single person in the world who isn't going to click play on a video entitled "A rat driving a tiny car" is there?

Winston Smith leaves thread.

Blue Jam

Yeah, but the radioactive cannibal ants will get him even if the rats don't.

idunnosomename

Blue Jam

Researchers at MIT have built a load of backflipping, football-playing robots which they have used in an experiment to determine the exact midpoint between cute and creepy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-50383628/the-indestructible-robots-which-do-backflips

Personally I can't decide whether I want to pet them or kill them with fire.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 12, 2019, 12:40:47 PM

Personally I can't decide whether I want to pet them or kill them with fire.

they wont have that dilema with us when the time comes

Blue Jam

Backflipping football-playing robots vs radioactive cannibal ants?

There's only one way to find out...

Blue Jam

Hmmmm, I was going to suggest a double-blind randomised controlled study of ants vs robots in a Morris water maze...

Dex Sawash

I, for one, welcome our new comically shit overlords

Blue Jam