Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:10:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: New folder on February 11, 2020, 07:12:13 AM
If RLM makes 4 videos about Star Trek Discovery, then that's 4 hours of talking that a RLM fan wants to watch. Now they must watch Star Trek Discovery, in order to join in. They have been advertised to, and have purchased a product because of this. It's just more indirect. There's a big market for watching things "critically" these days -- but the same people get the money in the end.

My counter argument would be that you don't need to engage with what they are discussing to enjoy their content.  This is evident from the popularity of their Best of the Worst output, which I'm sure you'll agree doesn't derive its entertainment value from viewers being familiar with the material.

New folder

Quote from: Replies From View on February 12, 2020, 09:17:49 PM
My counter argument would be that you don't need to engage with what they are discussing to enjoy their content.  This is evident from the popularity of their Best of the Worst output, which I'm sure you'll agree doesn't derive its entertainment value from viewers being familiar with the material.

Yes, I agree, but joshing around about an obscure movie from 1983 is absolutely not at all the same as generating more discussion and presence for the conglomerate behemoth that is Disney or the like. It's all about contributing to the systemic problem that is corporate Nerd Culture. Marvel, e.g., is a cultural phenomenon for a reason -- because of an enormous multi-faceted marketing machine. RLM are now one cog. If everybody who makes either critical or comedic videos about Star Wars suddenly never mentioned it again, the franchise would unlikely be a part of our collective cultural consciousness any longer.

Ever thought that people who talk about Star Wars and Marvel movies, might actually enjoy talking about these movies. It says a lot about peoples mindsets when they start giving Corporations  personality traits (I know this can be confusing as Personality traits is something that is used in brading a Corporation). Corporations are made up of people and the people that work there don't think they doing anything evil that day. Try watching some of the corridor crew videos when they bring in stunt men or visual artists on to the show. There very enthastic about their work, getting excited if they stunt doubled as Black Panther, or did some of the VFX on the latest Star Wars. At the end of the day Disney is number one at making movies because it makes the movies the greatest number of people want to see.

Just because you don't like these movies dosn't, dosn't mean they shouldn't exsist. For example I don't like a lot of new music these days, but I have seen some of the younger people I work with really getting into it, singing along. I'm not going to tell them they can't have it because I personally don't enjoy that music. 

I think there is a high likely hood that RLM talk about Star Wars, Star Trek and Marvel movies a lot, because they enjoy some aspect of those cultral touch stones. The difference between them and something like collider, is their view is from outsider fan rather than a PR department masquerading as fans. Its taken them 10 years to grow to over a million subs and that has been based on their personality and passion. It should be noted that Collider has been going 13 years and only has half the subs and lot of the videos only get between 4k and 15k views while RLM gets between 600k to 1mil+ regualry and thats down to the consistancy of their videos.

Old Nehamkin

Replies From View

Quote from: New folder on February 13, 2020, 08:08:43 AM
Yes, I agree, but joshing around about an obscure movie from 1983 is absolutely not at all the same as generating more discussion and presence for the conglomerate behemoth that is Disney or the like.

Not necessarily.  Not if their fan base is able to enjoy their review content without engaging with whatever it is they are reviewing.  I can't be alone in being happy to watch their Half in the Bag episodes as an alternative to the endless Star Wars and Superman sequels they're describing.

I just don't agree that they are necessarily feeding the Hollywood studios when they have cultivated an audience of people who enjoy reviews in their own right.

Chriddof

I'm another person who watches their Marvel and Star Wars videos as a substitute for having to actually see them. And as someone with only a casual interest in Star Trek, I find the ongoing talk on new Trek stuff useful as a catch-up - again, without having to shell out for a subscription service merely to work out that I wouldn't like it. I draw the line at the Mike-As-Plinkett analysis videos these days, though. But my favourite stuff they do by miles are the Best Of The Worst / Wheel Of The Worst videos.

idunnosomename

Dr Sleep review notable for them refusing to go see Birds of Prey, Sonic and Cats. They do like good movies but it's hard to ignore the car crash that is modern cinema. Especially Disney making a fucking hash of Star Wars.

Replies From View

My favourite thing about Plinkett for me is the fact that Rich rather than Mike plays him in Half in the Bag.  He's redlettermedia's version of Tony Clifton.

Deanjam

If I recall Plinkett is Rich's creation that Mike borrowed for the reviews.

idunnosomename

the old man who pays two losers endless wages so he can watch his Night Court tape isn't the same character as the psychopathic film reviewer. the latter lives in Noo Joisey for starters while Half in the Bag is set in Milwaukee

to complicate matters though Rich Evans HAS played that Plinkett, in the Revenge of Nadine

it's part of the joke that none of this makes sense and it's fucking stupid

Robot in the Family looks truly awe inspiring.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on March 08, 2020, 08:08:35 PM
Robot in the Family looks truly awe inspiring.

Came here to post about that. I actually felt bad for them having to sit there and watch it, it was a sensory assault. I was getting anxiety just from the clips they showed. Was nice to see a classic BOTW line-up too, with no celebrity guests.

bgmnts

I love how they pronounce John Rhys Davies name.

Blumf

Robot in the Family in rough VHS form here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwOhdPsZA74

The uploader has some interesting notes in the details.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Blumf on March 12, 2020, 12:35:07 AM
Robot in the Family in rough VHS form here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwOhdPsZA74

The uploader has some interesting notes in the details.

And he linked to a Tumblr with lots of behind the scenes stuff - this made me laugh a lot:

Chriddof

There's also a PDF document on the production of the film by the first director. It sounds like making the movie was just as much as a horrible fever dream as simply watching it.

bgmnts

Finally got round to Wheel of the Worst #20.

https://youtu.be/26si7WjhV-g

Fucking hell, the Christmas with Dennis moment with the foot playing the piano had me in tears for about 5 minutes. Could barely breathe.
A brilliant episode.

Bad Ambassador

Sad they never mention that Pooka is directed by Nacho Vigalondo of Timecrimes and Colossal fame.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on April 07, 2020, 05:47:38 AM
Amazing Half in the Bag about Glenn Danzig's movie Verotika.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKmMRSTUeAs

Yep, that was a good one. Also, Stoklasa is doing a voice in a show called Smiling Friends now? Or something?

The Bumlord

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 09, 2020, 08:07:44 PM
Yep, that was a good one. Also, Stoklasa is doing a voice in a show called Smiling Friends now? Or something?

Yep. Doing his Plinkett voice.

https://youtu.be/EiWL_ilmfmo

Also Jay is looking so hot right now

bgmnts

Wont lie I have a bit of a gay thing for Jay.

Yay, I'm gay for Jay.

idunnosomename

the verotika review was great. and another over-acted sketch intro woah.

"my face! what do you want with my face?!"

I NEED MY FACE!!!!

Deanjam

A lot of great bad-quotes from that one. My favourite being "Ass-fuck is my speciality".

idunnosomename

what the fuck was with the out-RAY-geous french ACC-cents though. fucking hell. man-spider with floppy arms even had the red-DIC-u-LOUS curly mousTACHE

fucking absurd shite

AliasTheCat

Enjoyed the Re:view of Freaked. I never saw it myself, but I can remember Alex Winter appearing on Mondo Rosso and telling stories from the set, and they showed a couple of clips that piqued my teenage interest.

kngen

More evidence to add to my theory that Glenn Danzig suffered some kind of traumatic brain injury between Samhain splitting up and starting Danzig the band. There was a wit and intelligence to the Misfits (and all the surrounding lore) that you couldn't imagine popping up in modern-day Glenn's psyche in a million years. I mean, he called his first record label Plan 9, FFS, yet somehow learned absolutely nothing from watching Ed Wood's films.