Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:40:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Replies From View on June 17, 2020, 11:31:27 PM
Which scenes in particular?  All the ones shown in the review have always been in the film for me.

The ransom scene and psychiatrist scene I have no recollection of. It seems there were some TV cuts that deleted these, but maybe I did see them but have just forgotten them because they are basically just disconnected gags.

Yeah, I felt like I hadn't seen those bits either. maybe it's a kid brain thing.

Replies From View

They were forgettable scenes to my childhood self but they were definitely there.  I remember thinking the ransom scene woman was meant to be the Queen when I was a child, because it follows an auction scene where the auctioneer says "your majesty" at the end.

I've just remembered I grew up watching a purchased VHS version rather than an off-air television recording.  So maybe they were cut out of some broadcasts.

QDRPHNC

Yeah, I remember those scenes too, but I think they're low key and more adult oriented, so probably your kid brain didn't retain them.

New Best of the Worst coming this weekend!

Best part of the Willy Wonka video is when they show a scene from the movie of Wonka pulling at the hair of Mike Teavea, and then briefly cut without comment to a clip of the Mike Teavea actor today and he is completely bald.

kngen

I enjoyed that a lot. I was never a fan of the Gene Wilder version as a kid (I loved the book, and would watch anything with Gene Wilder in it, but the augmentations just didn't sit well with me - was very dogmatic about adaptations sticking to original texts at that age, ditto Hitchhiker's Guide), but holy living fuck it's like Citizen Kane to the power of Lawrence of Arabia compared to the Tim Burton version.

Might force my child to watch them back to back as an instructive lesson in the death of cinema as an artform. I'm sure she'll enjoy that immensely.

Replies From View

Quote from: kngen on June 20, 2020, 04:50:55 PM
was very dogmatic about adaptations sticking to original texts at that age, ditto Hitchhiker's Guide),

Hitchhiker's Guide started life as the radio version.

bgmnts

BEST TO THE WORST JUST DROPPED.

kngen

JamesTC

"I think I just need to look for rape"

"I'm trading in rape"

Replies From View

Quote from: kngen on June 20, 2020, 05:57:25 PM
I know.

Very good.  I simply had to say it because it is one of approximately two facts I know, and it seemed a good opportunity.

kngen

Quote from: Replies From View on June 20, 2020, 10:37:29 PM
Very good.  I simply had to say it because it is one of approximately two facts I know, and it seemed a good opportunity.

I did think about mentioning it, but I thought I'd leave it for someone else to point out if need be so, yes, happy to be of service.

dr_christian_troy

I'm thrilled to see a dedicated thread for RLM here. I'm working full time from home and have finally had the chance to complete all of the BOTW episodes, and am now working through all of the HITB episodes (81, as of writing). Someone recommended RLM to me years ago and I started to tuck in to BOTW when following a botched and subsequently prolonged wisdom tooth operation debacle I couldn't really do much else for two weeks.

Out of interest, the most BOTW Scavenger Hunt episode - does anyone know if this one was recorded pre-lockdown, or is it business as usual? I'm watching the HITB episodes chronologically so apologies if they're still releasing shows as standard and this is a redundant query.

I've ended up watching Suburban Sasquatch and The Last Vampire On Earth from start to finish - it's been quite fun watching these in company and slightly drunk. Debating about dipping into the Neil Breen films soon too...

On a separate note, I believe The Flop House and(/or?) How Did This Get Made have both done an episode on this, but RLM haven't (yet) - I watched Foodfight the other night. Fucking hell.

DrGreggles

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on June 21, 2020, 04:39:24 PM
Debating about dipping into the Neil Breen films soon too...

Don't debate; dip now!

Out of interest, the most BOTW Scavenger Hunt episode - does anyone know if this one was recorded pre-lockdown, or is it business as usual? I'm watching the HITB episodes chronologically so apologies if they're still releasing shows as standard and this is a redundant query.

Likely recorded recently as it only features Mike, Jay, and Rich (which in my opinion is the ideal!). Mike and Jay have continued to release HITB during the quarantine, either by themselves or possibly with someone off-screen helping with the camera.

Phil_A

I'm thrilled to see a dedicated thread for RLM here. I'm working full time from home and have finally had the chance to complete all of the BOTW episodes, and am now working through all of the HITB episodes (81, as of writing). Someone recommended RLM to me years ago and I started to tuck in to BOTW when following a botched and subsequently prolonged wisdom tooth operation debacle I couldn't really do much else for two weeks.

I've ended up watching Suburban Sasquatch and The Last Vampire On Earth from start to finish - it's been quite fun watching these in company and slightly drunk. Debating about dipping into the Neil Breen films soon too...

On a separate note, I believe The Flop House and(/or?) How Did This Get Made have both done an episode on this, but RLM haven't (yet) - I watched Foodfight the other night. Fucking hell.

It's definitely a new BOTW, they've all got post-Lockdown hair growth and Rich is the only one of the regulars present apart from Mike and Jay.

We've streamed a few of the RLM selections on (spam), Winterbeast and Demon Cop have been real highlights.

QDRPHNC

I really enjoyed that BOTW, even though the movie choices themselves weren't so exciting. The scavenger hunt was a pretty good gimmick, and it was nice to see the increasingly-rare classic RLM trio doing it.

dr_christian_troy

Thanks for confirming the timeline of the recent HITB - can't wait to get up to date eventually (although at the same time not because I need a fix etc).

So, I saw the episode in which Mike and Jay slate American Ultra....and then a few episodes later I'm now watching the conversation with Max Landis. The whole thing seems very weird, even more so retrospectively. I'm guessing the "A Conversation with" title is ironic because it's mostly Max explaining himself while Mike and Jay mostly sit quietly with the occasional interaction. I'm guessing this was recorded during the same time that Landis popped up on a BOTW episode, but...yeah. The whole thing seems deeply uncomfortable.

Rich (I mean it must be, he's wearing flannel) silently delivers beer throughout and even in the silence it seems like there is absolute discomfort with Landis being there.

I respect them opening their door to the response to their critique but...oof, this is horrible. "When the internet didn't understand what I meant..."

bgmnts

Didn't RLM remove the Max Landis episode?

Landis's tedious interjections (almost) ruined one of the all-time great Rich Evan tirades.

buzby

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on June 23, 2020, 12:10:54 AM
Thanks for confirming the timeline of the recent HITB - can't wait to get up to date eventually (although at the same time not because I need a fix etc).
Wisconsin's lockdown order was ruled illegal by the state's Supreme Court in the 13th of May. They referenced it at the end of the latest HitB when they smashed the barricades down
So, I saw the episode in which Mike and Jay slate American Ultra....and then a few episodes later I'm now watching the conversation with Max Landis. The whole thing seems very weird, even more so retrospectively. I'm guessing the "A Conversation with" title is ironic because it's mostly Max explaining himself while Mike and Jay mostly sit quietly with the occasional interaction. I'm guessing this was recorded during the same time that Landis popped up on a BOTW episode, but...yeah. The whole thing seems deeply uncomfortable.
Yes, they were recorded at the same time. The 'Conversation with...' thing partly came about because prior to the American Ultra review he had been a vocal supporter of RLM and YMS on twitter and Reddit, felt butthurt when neither were keen on his latest film and started lashing out at them on Twitter and Reddit (posting for hours in a thread on r/movies about the review), and Jay (presumably) tweeted some sarcastic jokes back at him in response. Presumably he offered to come and 'explain' himself once he'd calmed down/the coke had worn off to try and win them over, and they offered to let him do a BotW to show there were no hard feelings. He also apparently offered to appear on YMS too, but it either never happened or they never bothered releasing it after the abuse allegations came out.
I respect them opening their door to the response to their critique but...oof, this is horrible. "When the internet didn't understand what I meant..."
I think it was very much a case of sitting back and letting him hang himself once it became apparent to them what he was like.
Quote from: bgmnts on June 23, 2020, 01:15:16 AM
Didn't RLM remove the Max Landis episode?
Both the Conversation With and BOTW episodes were de-listed, and can only be accesed via a direct link

DrGreggles

They invited Len Kabasinski on after slating his film too.
His BOTW episode is a classic.

buzby

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 23, 2020, 10:16:53 AM
The difference being Len is aware of his limitations as a filmmaker, is able to take criticism and is genuinely a nice guy. He's done 3 BotW/Wotw episodes so far, the re:View of Blind Fury with Rich, did the fight choreography and stunt doubled for Rich in Space Cop and was also under the Horse Ninja mask for the April Fool re:View episode.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: buzby on June 23, 2020, 10:34:05 AM
The difference being Len is aware of his limitations as a filmmaker, is able to take criticism and is genuinely a nice guy. He's done 3 BotW/Wotw episodes so far, the re:View of Blind Fury with Rich, did the fight choreography and stunt doubled for Rich in Space Cop and was also under the Horse Ninja mask for the April Fool re:View episode.

Thanks for clarifying re: Landis. Len seems like a lovely chap, game for a laugh and it was great to see him re-appear a few times too.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 23, 2020, 10:16:53 AM
Len's a top bloke (but I probably mentioned this already a few pages ago).

bgmnts

I'd like to echo the pro Len sentiment. He seems like he actually wants to make films and has a vision, albeit scuppered by limited talent and funds, but it seems to be done with purity of intent. That is exactly what an artist should be.

Max Landis comes across as all ego, about as irritatingly Hollywood as it gets.

DrGreggles

UHF* - re:View up
https://youtu.be/WcFlmIR02Uw

*a film that I unashamedly love

QDRPHNC

Yeah, just watched that yesterday. I'd forgotten how young and charismatic Michael Richards was in that.

And... although I don't mind Josh on BOTW, I find him a little harder to take in the Re:View format.

Anyone see Jack's Twitter thread about his alcoholism? It's been a year since he had a drop, so good for him.

beanheadmcginty

That just looks like he's doing that classic American thing of redefining perfectly acceptable boozing as alcoholism. But if it makes him happier, fair play to him.

The UHF review was not only excellent but it taught me the startling fact that Bette Midler is married to one of the Kipper Kids.