Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:11:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Part 1 of the Twin Peaks 3 Re:view is up.

Almost dreading getting into it, as I'm sure it's going to kick off a full rewatch.

BJBMK2

They throw some shade at that smug, wanky four hour Twin Prefect video that tried to "explain" the show, with his smug, wanky David Lynch impression.

Good lads.

kidsick5000

Quote from: BJBMK2 on December 26, 2020, 02:36:43 PM
They throw some shade at that smug, wanky four hour Twin Prefect video that tried to "explain" the show, with his smug, wanky David Lynch impression.

Good lads.

And boil it down to a sentence. Bravo

Old Nehamkin

Watching the Twin Peaks video. What a fucking miracle that 3rd season was. Just, jesus christ, how did that happen.

kngen

Is it at all feasible to watch the third season without watching the first two again (which I haven't since they were broadcast back in the 90s, and therefore my memories of them are pretty hazy)?

Blumf

Plot-wise, you could probably handle it, but you'd be much, much better off doing it all (inc. FWWM)

kngen

Quote from: Blumf on December 27, 2020, 08:22:59 PM
Plot-wise, you could probably handle it, but you'd be much, much better off doing it all (inc. FWWM)

Ah well, best get started then. ta!

DrGreggles

I never made it all the way through season 2, so haven't bothered with season 3 yet.

Blumf

There's always the guide:

Helps to have someone to view the S02 dip with, so you can bitch about it together.

DrGreggles

Looks pretty accurate with regard to when I bailed!

JamesTC

Season 3 is the best season.

I don't think this is a popular view.

There's no dip in quality in Season 2, it's all essential to the full Twin Peaks experience.

That being said, if all you're after is refreshing your memory of the mythology prior to watching Season 3, all you really need to rewatch is the last episode of Season 2 and Fire Walk with Me.

The Return is far more a continuation of FWWM than the original series.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: JamesTC on December 28, 2020, 12:08:07 AM
Season 3 is the best season.

I don't think this is a popular view.

I sort of agree with you, but it's complicated. You couldn't appreciate Mr. C / Cooper / Dougie without 2 seasons of Agent Dale Cooper to contrast them with.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on December 25, 2020, 05:01:40 PM
I had a bit of a panic attack yesterday morning, so kept mostly distracted by watching the RLM Picard / TNG reviews and then continued with my quest to watch all of the Half In The Bag episodes (about 110 in so far). Regardless of the varying of quality I do strangely find RLM consistently calming, especially the Best of the Worst episodes.

I know what you mean, I guess. I'd been aware of RLM through their Star Wars reviews and the Prometheus Whyyyyyy video. But I only got into them maybe 2 or so years ago, when (as sad as it sounds) I had broken up, and was alone for the first time in a long time, and had them on in the background while I was working. It was like lo-key hanging out with friends.

I assume you've listened to their movie commentaries on bandcamp? Fun to listen to even without watching the movie alongside.

QDRPHNC

I've listened to a few of them. My favourite was Ghostbusters 2.

Jay: you know, that scene is coming up soon.
Mike: which scene? .. OH GOD

The Wonder Woman 84 review is great. How could it not be?

Mike's life visibly passing before his eyes.

Sonny_Jim

I suppose one good thing to come out of COVID is that because it's all streaming services, it means they can cut out the specific clip from a movie they are talking about, rather than having to try and pull a piece of relevant footage from a trailer.

I enjoy watching RLM for the little tidbits of knowledge/insider info, but the whole 'EVERYTHING IS AWFUL' schtick I'm being less interested in.

Deanjam

I don't think they think everything is awful. They do seem utterly bored by superhero movies. They've been avoiding reviewing them as they're tired of just repeating the same thing, but I guess they went with Wonder Woman 2 as it was streaming.

I always enjoy Mike and Jay's dissection of these big budget films. I didn't like the first one as much as many people did, so wasn't really interested in the sequel. Their reviews are often more interesting.

Sonny_Jim

Yeah maybe that was an unfair thing to say.  Both Mike and Jay have genres they feel passionate about (Star Trek and weird sex films), so it's unsurprising that they don't have a bucket load of positivity for a comic book movie.  I guess I wish Jay would lay off the Cinema Sins thing of repeatedly trying to point out plot holes and focus on other areas of criticism.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 02, 2021, 02:46:14 AM
I assume you've listened to their movie commentaries on bandcamp? Fun to listen to even without watching the movie alongside.

Re-listened to the Batman and Robin commentary which was excellent

QDRPHNC

Odd timing, they just send out a message on Patreon saying they're recording a new commentary now.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 04, 2021, 04:46:40 AM
The Wonder Woman 84 review is great. How could it not be?

Mike's life visibly passing before his eyes.

You know it's going to be good if Mike is wearing that disgusting green bay packers fleece.

greenman

In terms of "burning money" I tend to think Marvel(or at least the better films) and DC come at it from opposite directions. The DC films do tend to throw CGI action at you to distract from a lack of anything else but with Marvel I often get the sense these is "shit we have another $50 million to spend! lets make that end scene 5 times as big". The basic style of the better MCU is actually quite small scale drama and comedy and I think they could definitely get away without those set pieces being so large.

QDRPHNC

Twin Peaks: The Return - re:View (Part 2)

Normally I can take or leave the skits, but the start of the Wonder Woman 1984 HitB, with the slow zoom on Jay's face while Mike talks and shoves popcorn in his mouth, really made me laugh.

idunnosomename

i loved the wonder woman skit. double the Rich Evans!

QDRPHNC

Their new commentary is up on Bandcamp:
https://redlettermedia.bandcamp.com/track/dungeons-and-dragons-commentary-track

Never seen Dungeons and Dragons. Watch it with the commentary or before the commentary?

QDRPHNC

Okay, fine.

I watched D&D with the RLM commentary. One of those movies that sort of passed me by at the time, but good lord is it terrible. They make the point in the commentary that this might be one of the last big budget movies that have that super-cheap early 90s crap CGI aesthetic, except it was released in 2000. Amazing that this came out a year after both the Matrix and the Phantom Menace and only a year before Fellowship of the Ring. If it had been released just a short time later, it would have been consigned straight to DVD. Amazing that this could still pass as a major studio release, even 20 years ago.

Commentary is fun enough, if you enjoy hearing Mike, Jay and Rich shoot the shit. Mike is the resident ex-D&D player, who goes into some detail about his time playing as a teenager, the mechanics of it, the different types of wizards, etc., yet towards the end of the commentary, hilariously,
Spoiler alert
has no idea who Gary Gygax is
[close]

So, like most of their commentaries, a fun diversion, but not up there with their YT shows.

Actual shot from the film:

kngen

Breugel the Elder's Peasant Wedding has let itself go.

Povidone

Meredith monk on Radio 3 right now