Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:26:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

QDRPHNC

Yep! Yesterday was a good day. Fuck all to do. Microdosed some mushrooms in the morning, after a while vaped some high CBD weed, worked on some personal projects throughout the day and when I found my brain satisfied but exhausted and really felt like a cup of tea, the email arrived to tell me there was a new BOTW.

A "red letter" day, if you will.

So maybe it was the stuff in my system, but this seemed like a particularly funny episode. Multiple big laughs in the intro alone, which I will spoiler as it only went up last night:

It kicked off when Mike said Rich Evans
Spoiler alert
is his mother's little mutant
[close]

Spoiler alert
Then went straight back to the well to make the same joke about Evil Spawn.
[close]

The deadpan
Spoiler alert
Clint Howard is the handsomer of the Howard brothers
[close]
, which led to a discussion on how to
Spoiler alert
politely say someone has a deformed head
[close]
, with Mike landing on "
Spoiler alert
shaped head
[close]
" had me almost in tears.

And then, the one-sentence back cover description of The Suckling happened:

Spoiler alert
"After a woman goes to a back-alley abortion clinic, her aborted fetus attacks her, her boyfriend and everyone else at the place."
[close]

And each movie was pretty interesting in its own way. So yes, great ep. Looking forward to rewatching it.

DrGreggles

The dissection of the
Spoiler alert
weird music
[close]
was great too.

QDRPHNC

Yeah, there was a lot in there. Three really good movies, each were genuinely interesting in their own ways.

Lord Mandrake

The Suckling was a bit too rich for me man. Otherwise great Plinketto.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on February 02, 2021, 10:34:42 AM

Agreed, I had to look away a few times from the scenes they shared.

buzby

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on February 02, 2021, 10:34:42 AM
It was a real 'Jay' kind of film.

Lord Mandrake

Jay is a real sicko. I was curious about Ice Cream Man so I read the plot and it's a similar video nasty. Wicked world was another one that was hard to unsee.

QDRPHNC

I don't know, I very much get Jay's point of view. I used to be just like him in my 20s, laughing my ass off at the nastiest stuff. Not so much reacting to the idea of what's on-screen, more the reality of it. Like, the way the fetus went back inside the woman was horrible, yes, but the sheer absurdity of the idea, that probably a crew of people stood around filming this, that the little puppet looks so utterly stupid, I completely understand why Jay laughs at these things.

Lord Mandrake

Oh yeah, it was fucking hilarious the final puppet, in contrast to the extremely disturbing earlier version. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they have extreme shit from time to time, I just didn't have the stomach for some of the more choice clips (coathanger).

QDRPHNC

That bit did very much remind me of John Waters, but without the warmth. That's what elevated The Suckling for me, I think, it wasn't just easy, mindless schlock, it had this weird kind of style to it, like an alternate reality.

idunnosomename

The Suckling was a bit like Xtro and Braindead/Dead Alive if they couldn't be arsed. it did surprise me how well it was shot, at least what they showed

kngen

I watched the new one, then I watched an old, old one as my appetite wasn't satiated yet. I think I found Robot in the Family more distressing than The Suckling. Great episode, obviously, but holy fucking hell .... 

QDRPHNC

Yes! That was crazy, from what I remember endless noise and people talking over each other.

Rizla

Is Stoklaski on the wagon I wonder?  I believe Jack is, and Rich never seemed to drink much, but I think Jay was the only one with a  beer in that one. Mike is looking quite slimmed down, right enough.

QDRPHNC

Could have been doing a dry January. Probably good for him, to be fair.

idunnosomename

i noticed that Mike had no beer which was odd. Rich Evans has never drunk during the time of RLM afaik, Jack made a thing about being an alcoholic a few months back and is completely off it now.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: kngen on February 04, 2021, 12:14:47 AM
Robot in the Family

Genuinely anxiety inducing levels of hysteria and intensity. Imagine trying to edit something like that into any coherence.

Bad Ambassador

I loved the Robot in the Family analysis. As mentioned, it's just an unrelenting barrage of noise, people talking over each other, yelling, flashing lights, bizarre sight gags and seemingly disconnected scenes. It's like Short Circuit crossed with a heart attack.

Lord Mandrake

And Joey Pants really fucking reaching.

kngen

I can still hear that robot's burblings bouncing around inside my head. Christ knows what I'd be like it I actually watched the whole thing. This is when BOTW actually provides a valuable public service.

Rizla

Lord Mandrake

New Half in the bag features a review of Psycho Goreman, featuring Rich Evans! Playing himself and getting an "Ohhmyyygooood!!" into a feature film.

QDRPHNC

Yep, good HitB episode, three very interesting movies I'd never heard of (although I see Deeper into Movies has a thread on each). First one looked a bit duff, but definitely going to check out the other two.

As usual, bit of a red alert when Jay used the word "misandry," but thankfully crisis largely averted.

Schrodingers Cat

Maybe better asking in it's own thread, but does anyone know where I can actually watch Psycho Goreman? Legally I mean - I'm happy to pay for it, but can't find it on any of the usual places. The only info I can find online relates to the US release and just says it was released 22nd Jan. Anyone know when it's available to watch in the UK? The trailer and RLM review makes it look right up my street. Promising Young Woman looks good as well, but happy to wait for that one.

QDRPHNC

If you have a VPN, it looks like it's available in US via Amazon or Youtube. Not seeing anything for the UK though.

Lord Mandrake

This came up in my queue and it's the funniest opening tag to any HITB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRGZLPJz8WM&t=649s

Sonny_Jim

Remember a recent BOTW where they stumbled across a video with 'I reject your reality and substitute my own'?  Well here's 11 minutes of Adam Savage explaining the origin of the phrase.  I'm only 1m30s in and it feels tedious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WFFhicVeXI

AliasTheCat

Yeah, that was a great Half in the Bag.
I've been re-watching a lot of the Pre-Rec discussions during lockdown and find myself wishing they'd do something similar again, particularly as there are so few films being released currently. I downloaded Crypt of the Necrodancer to play with my partner based on their discussion of it and it's great fun.
I have to admit to finding Jack a bit annoying. I tried to watch some of the videos he's been making over on the Escapist channel but they just weren't for me. I do think that Jack and Rich made good foils for each other in a longer form discussion though.