Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:58:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

I've never watched any Pre-Rec. Is it entertaining even if you're not into games so much?

QDRPHNC

Message from the RLM Patreon saying they shot a short video about The Kid Detective (no spoilers, I don't think) and it's really good. Never heard of it, but I like the sound of it.

AliasTheCat

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 09, 2021, 01:57:06 PM
I've never watched any Pre-Rec. Is it entertaining even if you're not into games so much?

I think so, though your mileage may vary: it's not at all boozy and is always just Rich and Jack, which can be interesting because the dynamic is very different to standard RLM stuff where Rich is essentially Mike's plaything.
I enjoyed and miss their HITB-style main show where they discussed a game in-depth and much like HITB I have played/will play virtually none of the games they cover. They also did quite a bit of streaming which I never really watched, though it did throw up highlights like this from time to time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THVugXAW_uI

QDRPHNC

Yeah, that's pretty good. I'll give it a whirl, cheers.

AliasTheCat

New BOTW Spotlight episode: Blood Shack (aka The Chooper)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8qGSkcX6R0

Fambo Number Mive

New Half In The Bag: Willy's Wonderland and The Banana Splits Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=livSYU_jwCw

JamesTC

Good episode. I hope they do more of these sorts of episodes once movies are back to normal. The pandemic has given them the opportunity to do some interesting episodes and this Half in the Bag is no exception.

Been sleeping badly recently, so I have taken the opportunity to listen to some of their old commentaries. Rich making a comment at the start of the Justice League commentary and Mike chiming "don't be negative Rich" is one of my favourite RLM moments.

Replies From View

I love how shrunken and waxitone they appear in older videos.  It's like we are seeing them in earlier phases of their lives!

JamesTC

Bloody hell! How did they convince George Lucas to appear in the Half in the Bag 10th anniversary episode?

idunnosomename

told him where he could find some more copies of the Holiday Special to destroy

Deanjam

Mike and Rich talking about Star Trek The Next Generation Season One for 80 minutes. Glory be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyBv_h2nyXk

Blumf

Quote from: Deanjam on March 15, 2021, 05:06:24 PM
Mike and Rich talking about Star Trek The Next Generation Season One for 80 minutes. Glory be.

I think this is them coming to terms with old age. I don't care, love hearing them waffle on about TNG.

Mobbd

It was sublime.

My girlfriend has been talking about The Arse-an'-all of Freedom for months and she's finally been validated. She's going to be a nightmare for about a week.

JamesTC

Half in the Worst: Release the Snyder Cut!

20 minutes in and I might be wrong but they seem to
Spoiler alert
like it.
[close]

SteveDave

They did but only (I think) in relation to the Joss Whedon version.

AliasTheCat

Love watching Mike and Rich talk about TNG. I'm hoping they'll do a favourite DS9 episodes discussion eventually....

JamesTC

In my time off work I have been watching some old Previously Recorded streams with Jack and Rich which have been nice background noise to relax and play some games to.

Just watching one with Rich's fiancé Karen is on and she tells a story of one time when she and him went to the store. I just wanted to share it because it left me in bits.

Mobbd

Quote from: JamesTC on March 26, 2021, 05:24:55 PM
Just watching one with Rich's fiancé Karen is on and she tells a story of one time when she and him went to the store. I just wanted to share it because it left me in bits.

Ahaha, that's great. I'm not a gamer so I never watched Pre-Rec other than a few clips that floated to the top, but I always get the feeling there must be some gems in there. Thanks for posting this one James. Poor Rich! Love it.

JamesTC

Quote from: Mobbd on March 26, 2021, 05:28:26 PM
Ahaha, that's great. I'm not a gamer so I never watched Pre-Rec other than a few clips that floated to the top, but I always get the feeling there must be some gems in there. Thanks for posting this one James. Poor Rich! Love it.

It isn't quite a best of but there is a compilation of all of Mike's appearances (who hates video games) which is a good video.

Mr Trumpet

Is this channel still good? I got a bit annoyed with Mike's bad Star Trek takes after a while. Jay's the only one with anything worthwhile to say about film I reckon.

Mobbd

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on March 27, 2021, 01:33:00 PM
Is this channel still good? I got a bit annoyed with Mike's bad Star Trek takes after a while. Jay's the only one with anything worthwhile to say about film I reckon.

It's always been good. They're really funny, self-aware, and nihilistic. And they're very dedicated to making review shows that aren't just people talking to camera with their actual spare room in the background; they make real filmic efforts with sets, a studio, scripts, and high-quality comedy editing.

Mike's Trek takes are generally good too imo.

Mr Trumpet

I can't fault his Trekkie enthusiasm, but I think he's often wrong about the newer shows and some of the Plinkett movie reviews seemed to miss the point at times as well. Not sure why the channel dropped off my YouTube recommendations though, I always liked the one where they just chat about films they enjoy.

idunnosomename

They're still struggling a bit for content like last year as there are no films coming out and they cant get guests in, but I still reckon it's the best YouTube channel going

Deanjam

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on March 28, 2021, 01:01:38 PM
I can't fault his Trekkie enthusiasm, but I think he's often wrong about the newer shows and some of the Plinkett movie reviews seemed to miss the point at times as well. Not sure why the channel dropped off my YouTube recommendations though, I always liked the one where they just chat about films they enjoy.

It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but I generally feel he and Rich are able to verbalise a lot of my feelings about Discovery & (especially) Picard very well. I enjoy their Star Trek reviews greatly, and their Next Generation reviews (especially the recent series 1) show that they are able to be critical towards the show they love, so are not just having a go at the new Treks because of favouritism.

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 28, 2021, 01:25:03 PM
I still reckon it's the best YouTube channel going

Agree with this. It's the only youtube channel that I watch every video of.

Mobbd

Quote from: Deanjam on March 28, 2021, 02:11:07 PM
It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but I generally feel he and Rich are able to verbalise a lot of my feelings about Discovery & (especially) Picard very well. I enjoy their Star Trek reviews greatly, and their Next Generation reviews (especially the recent series 1) show that they are able to be critical towards the show they love, so are not just having a go at the new Treks because of favouritism.

Same. I agree with them 100% on Discovery and Picard and they discuss it so I don't have to. Well, they don't anymore. Their current stance of ignoring it is the right thing to do. I actually like TNG Season 1 (except for Tasha's funeral, obviously) so this was the first time I didn't agree with them on Star Trek - still bloody loved it though. So funny. Hope they do Season 2 with Dr. Pulaski who "likes booze".

Mobbd

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on March 28, 2021, 01:01:38 PM
I always liked the one where they just chat about films they enjoy.

Re:View, yeah. They go pretty deep sometimes and they are roundly positive. The Gremlins ones were stand-outs if you're planning to do a catch-up. Twin Peaks was oddly slow and not really done for laughs, but certainly a nice thing to luxuriate in if you like Twin Peaks.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Deanjam on March 28, 2021, 02:11:07 PM

I'm debating about starting a thread about this but I do feel Found Footage Festival has been releasing some excellent content, more so and consistently throughout the last year. Not sure what the CaB stance is on FFF though and almost every thread I've started recently about things out there I've been enjoying (in search of like-minded folks) seems to have died on its arse.

Blumf

Half in the Bag vs. Godzilla vs. Kong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y4BFKZLRUU

They really were just dicking about on this one. Looks like they enjoyed the film for what it was, but didn't really have much to say, so lots of messing about. Fun to watch but not a classic.

JamesTC

I decided to order the digital version of Space Cop and the extras as a treat on Friday.

It was odd. I enjoyed it as an RLM thing but not as a film in its own right. I feel like it would have been better if all the characters were played straight whereas the Space Cop character is played for laughs but what they do is have the whole universe and cast of characters played for laughs. In particular, I felt Mike's character (a 1940s detective frozen in time and woken up in the present) would have been funnier if played straight. I guess the patchwork way the film was made, it wasn't really possible to try and make a serious film. It was often just a basic outline with lots of ad libs.

Rich Evans says he isn't good at ad libbing in the commentary but I think he is doing himself a disservice. In one scene he talks about how he felt a scene was lacking for something for the Space Cop character to do so he brought in M&Ms for Space Cop to obnoxiously throw into his mouth (and often miss) then at the end of the scene he tops it off by taking the M&Ms with him and referring to it as M&Evidence which really shouldn't be funny but somehow is.

Reminded me a lot of Jay and Silent Bob Reboot.

Phil_A

It's interesting that they seem to've pretty much given up making films at the point. I guess the income from Half In The Bag/Best Of The Worst/Re:View must be enough that they don't really need to, and I get the impression they just don't enjoy the process at all and aren't particularly proud of any of the ones they've made. In fact I remember them talking about their attempt at a "serious" horror film and them pretty much saying "don't bother watching it".