Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:11:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Quote from: Blumf on April 05, 2021, 12:36:00 AM
Half in the Bag vs. Godzilla vs. Kong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y4BFKZLRUU

I had no idea Kong vs Godzilla was this batshit crazy. Looks like the point where they've gone 'fuck it!'

Oh dear, some major flubs from Mike this episode. How embarrassing!

Mobbd

Quote from: JamesTC on April 05, 2021, 12:55:13 AM
I decided to order the digital version of Space Cop and the extras as a treat on Friday.

It was odd. I enjoyed it as an RLM thing but not as a film in its own right. I feel like it would have been better if all the characters were played straight whereas the Space Cop character is played for laughs but what they do is have the whole universe and cast of characters played for laughs. In particular, I felt Mike's character (a 1940s detective frozen in time and woken up in the present) would have been funnier if played straight. I guess the patchwork way the film was made, it wasn't really possible to try and make a serious film. It was often just a basic outline with lots of ad libs.

Rich Evans says he isn't good at ad libbing in the commentary but I think he is doing himself a disservice. In one scene he talks about how he felt a scene was lacking for something for the Space Cop character to do so he brought in M&Ms for Space Cop to obnoxiously throw into his mouth (and often miss) then at the end of the scene he tops it off by taking the M&Ms with him and referring to it as M&Evidence which really shouldn't be funny but somehow is.

Reminded me a lot of Jay and Silent Bob Reboot.

Quote from: Phil_A on April 05, 2021, 01:49:02 AM
It's interesting that they seem to've pretty much given up making films at the point. I guess the income from Half In The Bag/Best Of The Worst/Re:View must be enough that they don't really need to, and I get the impression they just don't enjoy the process at all and aren't particularly proud of any of the ones they've made. In fact I remember them talking about their attempt at a "serious" horror film and them pretty much saying "don't bother watching it".

I often think they should make something in earnest and feature-length but within their actual capacities. Documentary or something. Or maybe some kind of mockumentary or Curb-like show within their Lightning Fast VCR Repair world.

I love their YouTube output and it should be the backbone of what they do, but I'm hankering for some sort of special event.

JamesTC

I think they are ashamed of much of their early work in the way many would be in the creative industry. But with Space Cop, they were under no pretence that what they were making was schlock aimed at their core audience with little outside appeal. I still imagine it has been a minor financial success for them and was creatively a satisfying (if energy draining) experience as the commentary for it attests.

Running both the YT channel and recording a film is just too much work. At this point they earn an incredible amount from Patreon and YouTube (estimated to be between $500k and $1m per year, I've read) so they really aren't in a position where they need to diversify outside their creatively satisfying niche.

Mobbd

Quote from: JamesTC on April 05, 2021, 04:21:15 PM
I think they are ashamed of much of their early work in the way many would be in the creative industry. But with Space Cop, they were under no pretence that what they were making was schlock aimed at their core audience with little outside appeal. I still imagine it has been a minor financial success for them and was creatively a satisfying (if energy draining) experience as the commentary for it attests.

Running both the YT channel and recording a film is just too much work. At this point they earn an incredible amount from Patreon and YouTube (estimated to be between $500k and $1m per year, I've read) so they really aren't in a position where they need to diversify outside their creatively satisfying niche.

A classic thing they point out on Best of the Worst is that bad film-makers have too much ambition/vision and not enough resource. Making a shoestring sci-fi action feature is exactly what nobody should do! I'm sure Space Cop was made with this knowledge and that it's part of the joke?

But I'd love to see them diversify by doing a one-off special event, not for the money but for creative fun and to get something else onto the gravestone. Like how Matt Stone and Trey Parker made Team America on top of their main South Park gig, you know?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Mobbd on April 05, 2021, 04:41:36 PMLike how Matt Stone and Trey Parker made Team America on top of their main South Park gig

I'm pro BOTW and Jay and Mike in general but they aren't as talented as Parker and Stone.

Mobbd

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 05, 2021, 05:32:44 PM
I'm pro BOTW and Jay and Mike in general but they aren't as talented as Parker and Stone.

Well no. But I wasn't saying that. They're a pair of lads with a comedy production studio is all.

JamesTC

Decided to get the Red Letter Media Archive Collection Vol 1 which has all their early stuff. Currently enjoying a short film about an evil alien queen who wants to take control of the Space Jam website and all that can stop her are a gorilla and a Mormon lady.

Weird to see Jack Packard pre-weight loss and with a beard and some hair. He plays Fuck Bot 5000.

Mobbd

Quote from: JamesTC on April 06, 2021, 07:16:45 PM
Decided to get the Red Letter Media Archive Collection Vol 1 which has all their early stuff. Currently enjoying a short film about an evil alien queen who wants to take control of the Space Jam website and all that can stop her are a gorilla and a Mormon lady.

Weird to see Jack Packard pre-weight loss and with a beard and some hair. He plays Fuck Bot 5000.

Wow!

Haha. I remember seeing a younger Jack in (I think) the Phantom Menace review. He's one of the friends asked to describe the characters. You got the real early business though! Nice.

DrGreggles

Best of the Worst #100!
https://youtu.be/M2MgjPrSVX0

Spoiler alert
#EyesOnBreen
[close]

JamesTC

Spoiler alert
i am cuming
[close]

DrGreggles

Spoiler alert
lick my cilt
[close]

beanheadmcginty

JamesTC

Feel like shit, just want to learn about four line conics.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: JamesTC on April 23, 2021, 11:00:31 AM
Feel like shit, just want to learn about four line conics.

Get in it's Latus Rectum time!

Bad Ambassador

Lord Mandrake

Episode 55 might have been missed by some as the algorithm doesn't throw it up, I think due to the adult nature of 'Mad Foxes'. I would strongly recommend this episode!

idunnosomename

"It was the most exciting thing to happen to me in my entire life"

I am the president of the bank

YOU HAVE PUSHED THE WRONG BUTTON.

DrGreggles

Fateful Findings is probably my favourite Breen.
So much to enjoy look at.

Fambo Number Mive

Blumf

It's the Star Trek Trivia Showdown: Mike vs Jay (Episode 1 of 2,873)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko0fKuy8z2U

Jay's personal hell made real.

Deanjam

Quote from: Blumf on May 12, 2021, 07:33:55 PM

Everyone's genuine joy when Jay got something right was lovely. I love these videos where they are just friends hanging out.

bgmnts

Quote from: Blumf on May 12, 2021, 07:33:55 PM

Him reacting to the complicated Trek questions had the same vibe as when Mike and Rich went through Darth Vader's suit Wookiepedia entry.

Loved the countdown music too!

AliasTheCat

I answered a shameful number of those questions correctly.

Sitting here on a Friday night re-watching probably for the third time a random old HITB review of Aquaslash. No idea why I enjoy RLM so much.

Mobbd

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 22, 2021, 04:54:00 AM
Sitting here on a Friday night re-watching probably for the third time a random old HITB review of Aquaslash. No idea why I enjoy RLM so much.

I do that too. But for BoTW and Re:view more than HITB. The wheel is my go-to fave.

JamesTC

Don't know how many times I've watched the episodes with Shoji Tabuchi, SOS or the Osteoporosis Dance.

Mobbd

Quote from: JamesTC on May 24, 2021, 05:07:27 PM
Don't know how many times I've watched the episodes with Shoji Tabuchi, SOS or the Osteoporosis Dance.

Yes! Love all of those and Shoji is my fave. I want to visit his theatre someday and sit snug in there with all the blue rinces and cowboy hats.

DrGreggles

I'm a 3 movie BOTW traditionalist and always will be!