Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:45:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

I still think the traditional 3 movie BOTW is the best, but the wheel has led to plenty of gold.

bgmnts

The Rich Evans weight loss freaked me out!

Replies From View

buzby

Quote from: Rizla on July 11, 2021, 05:01:46 PM
Great BotW, that. Many big laughs. Wasn't totally sold on Tim at first but he brought a lot to this one.
Tim's obnoxiousness seems to corrolate to how drunk he gets (sort of like the anti-jack in that regard). He seemed to reign it in a bit in this latest episode, but on some of the previous episodes he's been on where he's got really shitfaced he's almost ruined the entire thing by becoming a loud, incoherent mess.

Speaking of Jack, a clown promotional video comes up and he's not on the panel....

Mobbd

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 11, 2021, 04:56:19 PM
I presume a lot of their terrible videos are sent in by fans. It must be quite hard to find the right kind of terrible video for Best of the Worst - it needs to be not that well known and both bad and amusing.

In case anyone needs to clear out some garbage treasure Nukies:

PO Box 400, Oak Creek WI 53154

Mobbd

Quote from: buzby on July 12, 2021, 11:29:14 AM
Tim's obnoxiousness seems to corrolate to how drunk he gets (sort of like the anti-jack in that regard). He seemed to reign it in a bit in this latest episode, but on some of the previous episodes he's been on where he's got really shitfaced he's almost ruined the entire thing by becoming a loud, incoherent mess.

Speaking of Jack, a clown promotional video comes up and he's not on the panel....

This is all very true. In the one where Tim is shitfaced, you can see Mike looking at him with a degree of concern, wondering if he's going to fuck up his video.

But I do like Tim. He is inherently funny, really makes me laugh. I like it when he's that VHS hipster on Half in the Bag and his Marjoribell (sp?) voice fucking creased me. Speaking of which, that was surely Tim's first Wheel (but he said the latest was his first one)?

kngen

"Say something nice about the garden hose or Pablo Escobar will have you executed" is a line that keeps popping into my head and making me laugh.

Blumf

Quote from: Mobbd on July 13, 2021, 04:48:49 PM
In case anyone needs to clear out some garbage treasure Nukies:

PO Box 400, Oak Creek WI 53154

Been wondering what would be a good set of British films for them to watch. We've never had such a large semi-pro/amateur straight-to-video scene as the US, so it's hard to pick out stuff.

They did like Xtro (1982), so maybe there's some more late-70s/early-80s horror to mine, but they're not exactly 'so bad it's good' (which was the problem with Xtro)

Don't think they'd like 70s sex comedies much. But maybe some of the sitcom films, like On the Buses, would do.

DrGreggles

On the Buses is so fucking depressing.

Bad Ambassador

Biggles: Adventures in Time
The Black Panther (Donald Nielson film)
The Final Programme
Britannia Hospital

Blumf

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 13, 2021, 11:32:14 PM
Biggles: Adventures in Time
The Black Panther (Donald Nielson film)
The Final Programme
Britannia Hospital

I'd swear they've already mentioned Biggles, can find anything though.

As for the rest, do they qualify as so-bad-its-good?

letsgobrian

Would any of those unofficial straight to vhs Dr Who tie-ins from the 90s fit in the ambition outstripping talent/budget range suitable for a good best of the worst?

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Blumf on July 14, 2021, 12:23:30 AM
I'd swear they've already mentioned Biggles, can find anything though.

As for the rest, do they qualify as so-bad-its-good?

I was thinking more of something that might catch them offguard the same way that Xtro did.

Operty1

Did they do Threads? Also, Suffer Little Children - a UK horror movie from the early eighties made by kids at a school that was immediately banned. I think it's available on Youtube - can't link at the minute because at work, it also has a fun backstory.

idunnosomename

Surely they won't have a PAL VHS player though

Blumf

Quote from: Operty1 on July 14, 2021, 12:18:51 PM
Suffer Little Children - a UK horror movie from the early eighties made by kids at a school that was immediately banned. I think it's available on Youtube - can't link at the minute because at work, it also has a fun backstory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBMp_Chpijo

That looks perfect.

Occurred to me that some late Ken Russell would fit the bill too. Like The Fall Of The Louse Of Usher (2002)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrqKQQx-_xE

JamesTC

petercussing

It's very funny that they asked everyone to thumbs down the vid at the end but 10k can't bring themselves to

Kelvin

I find Mike's long rambling alternative plots quite annoying these days, especially in this episode where it went on forever. His idea of what the films should be always sounds just as derivative, formulaic and boring as the film he's actually seen, just in a different way. 

Goldentony

always find myself going between not being arsed and liking these a bit, like the Dracula review is a great laugh but then in the middle of this Event Horizon video you hear them pull out the 'pretending to like' gear on Mortal Kombat which just reminds me these lads are still definitely very much Youtubers

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: petercussing on July 14, 2021, 08:39:28 PM
It's very funny that they asked everyone to thumbs down the vid at the end but 10k can't bring themselves to

They're a simple man, they see a Red Letter Media Video and they click Like.

Mobbd

Quote from: petercussing on July 14, 2021, 08:39:28 PM

One for the quartermasters!

Quote from: Goldentony on July 15, 2021, 12:58:45 AM
always find myself going between not being arsed and liking these a bit, like the Dracula review is a great laugh but then in the middle of this Event Horizon video you hear them pull out the 'pretending to like' gear on Mortal Kombat which just reminds me these lads are still definitely very much Youtubers

Definitely YouTubers but elevated ones in my eyes. They're very dedicated, were making films long before YouTube, and just found a way to make their pissing about pay.

Besides, their disrespect for their own YouTube data (and the usual YouTuber algorithm courting) as demonstrated above shows they don't give too much of a shit. You wouldn't catch Mike and Jay forking out for a golden play button - something they could have done if they'd wanted to. Buying up gremlin arms is more their style.

Quote from: Goldentony on July 15, 2021, 12:58:45 AM

It was all funny until they laughed at me ((

JamesTC

Goldentony

Definitely YouTubers but elevated ones in my eyes. They're very dedicated, were making films long before YouTube, and just found a way to make their pissing about pay.

Yeah agreed, that's why it was a wee bit disappointing to see them talk that load of arse. The argument's up there with blokes saying they like all music except country and rap on forums. Suppose it wasn't a Mortal Kombat review though so whatever, enjoyed the rest of the videos I watched anyway. Really enjoyed the Dracula one.

Goldentony

Quote from: ConscriptedJelly on July 15, 2021, 08:27:24 PM
It was all funny until they laughed at me ((

who the fuck is this little rat on stilts, fuck off back to the halfway house[nb]sorry this is a joke[/nb]

idunnosomename

I found the FFC Dracula video very interesting too. their whole point is they are very very small fry film-makers, but regardless they do have proper insights on how films are made.

Mike's reviews also invented so many YouTuber tropes (slam cut before the end of lines etc) that they're very much post-YouTubers these days.
the like-subscribe joke at the end of Black Widow was very atypical.

Quote from: Goldentony on July 15, 2021, 10:43:29 PM
who the fuck is this little rat on stilts, fuck off back to the halfway house[nb]sorry this is a joke[/nb]

I think the broader point they were making is peoples inclinations to nostalgize/think fondly of things from their childhood, subjectively making them think something is objectively good. If someone was to watch Mortal Kombat blind without that history with it it'd be hard to find someone who thought it was good fun rather than a slog.

Basically, branding them as 'youtubers', which seems way to fucking broad to be making a point for basically being critics, which is their job.... just seems like it stung you a little bit. I suggest you don't give a shit, like what you like, appreciate that people might tease you for it

bgmnts

Quote from: ConscriptedJelly on July 16, 2021, 01:35:05 AM
I think the broader point they were making is peoples inclinations to nostalgize/think fondly of things from their childhood, subjectively making them think something is objectively good. If someone was to watch Mortal Kombat blind without that history with it it'd be hard to find someone who thought it was good fun rather than a slog.

What's that based on?