Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:22:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I like the Star Wars videos, but what the hell was that subplot with the reviewer character kidnapping and torturing women? It's pathetic what incels like.

buzby

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 28, 2019, 01:28:30 PM
Anyone seen Space Cop? Biggest laugh in that was the description of Jay written on a whiteboard in the background of one scene: "may be child in adult beard costume."
Seen ir? I bought the Blu-Ray! I don't think it's as bad as they make it out to be. I certainly got some laughs out of it.

My favourite things of theirs are the shorts they made for the 48 Hour Film Festivals, which were basically improvised. - The Western Ore Musical and The Great Space Jam (which featured the debut of Fuckbot 5000, Jack Packard's greatest role - the making of which was featured in a HiTB episode). I'm also a fan of their early spoof sitcom The Grabowskis, but I may be alone in that

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 28, 2019, 06:27:48 PM
Re: the comment about them not being nerds, I think that's kinda important. Mike loves Star Trek more than I've ever loved anything, but doesn't ever talk about other shows, and their interest in Star Wars is definitely less than you'd assume from the people who became famous ripping the prequels a new arsehole. Rich is a big gamer but also loves baseball (if his shirts and hats are to be believed) but I'm not sure either of the other two have ever mentioned playing video games. Maybe one of the main three guys reads comics regularly?
Rich is the one who knows his comics - he gets brought in to the HiTBs on big superhero movies for his background knowledge. Mike knows nothing about computer games, as fact that Rich & Jack used to exploit for laughs on their old Previously Recorded Twitch streams when they occasionally managed to rope Mike in if he was in the building when they were streaming. They would occasionally get Jay in too if he was in doing an edit, but his gaming experience ended with the SNES he had as a kid and the streams usually ended up just as much discussions of bad horror movies as gaming.
I'd guess they're three film obsessives who've been friends since school.
Mike and Rich have been friends since high school. Mike met Jay via the REwindvideo.com amateur film-makers forum when they were in college. Mike and Rich, along with 'Fifth Beatle' Garret Gilchrist started off making films as GMP Pictures in Chicago. Jay lived in Milwaukee and was making films as Blanc Screen Cinema after dropping out of film school. After finding they had a shared sense of humour on the forum and realising they only lived 90 miles apart, they decided to collaborate and set up RLM, which eventually led to Mike and Rich moving to Milwaukee too.

idunnosomename

God i didnt know they worked with Gilchrist, who went on to make the best version of footage that exists of The Thief and the Cobbler in the Recobbled Cut

QDRPHNC

Gilchrist let a few skeletons out of RLM's closet.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 28, 2019, 08:52:08 PM
God i didnt know they worked with Gilchrist, who went on to make the best version of footage that exists of The Thief and the Cobbler in the Recobbled Cut

You should watch the doc I linked to earlier, How Not to Make a Movie. It's them making a movie with Gilchrist, and he seems absolutely insufferable in it. Mike seems to hate him almost immediately. After the first scene they tried to shoot together, Gilchrist asks Mike what his goals with this movie are. "To have you die in an on-set accident," is the immediate reply.

Phil_A

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 28, 2019, 08:52:08 PM

Huh, assuming that is who I think it is, he used to post here as well! I remember a specific poster sharing clips of the Recobbled Cut back in 2006 when it was still a work in progress, that must've been him then?

buzby

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 28, 2019, 08:54:46 PM
Gilchrist let a few skeletons out of RLM's closet.
Presumably you mean the Great Gilchrist livestream shitstorm of 2013, which got whipped up by the 4chan /tv/ trolls? (summarised here and here). Rich and Jack stated on their streams afterwards that Gilchrist's comments were mostly bullshit, and I agree with you that after watching 'How Not To Make A Movie' he does come across as an insufferable attention seeker, who is probably very bitter towards them.

idunnosomename

i remember Gilchrist posting on the Something Awful forums about the Recobbled Cut. He was crazy obsessive and can see how he would be an insufferable cunt but glad he found such a worthwhile outlet. A bit like Richard Williams, no doubt

QDRPHNC

Quote from: buzby on October 28, 2019, 09:09:12 PM
Presumably you mean the Great Gilchrist livestream shitstorm of 2013, which got whipped up by the 4chan /tv/ trolls? (summarised here and here). Rich and Jack stated on their streams afterwards that Gilchrist's comments were mostly bullshit, and I agree with you that after watching 'How Not To Make A Movie' he does come across as an insufferable attention seeker, who is probably very bitter towards them.

Yeah, that's the stuff. I don't have much on an opinion on Gilchrist's trustworthiness. I don't think that what he spilled is all that bad. The kind of falling out and arguments that a lot of young friends can have, and still get past it later.

Quote from: buzby on October 28, 2019, 09:09:12 PM
Presumably you mean the Great Gilchrist livestream shitstorm of 2013, which got whipped up by the 4chan /tv/ trolls? (summarised here and here).

To save 15 minutes of everyone else's life. This is the most boring expose ever and not even worth reading for drama purposes.

JamesTC

I love this little moment of Rich finally getting one over Mike. Mike genuinely doesn't know how to react at first.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Phil_A on October 28, 2019, 08:58:09 PM
Huh, assuming that is who I think it is, he used to post here as well! I remember a specific poster sharing clips of the Recobbled Cut back in 2006 when it was still a work in progress, that must've been him then?
tygerbug, who made a chunk of a decent She-Hulk fan film too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OBoR74FRMQ

madhair60

Watched some of their stuff yesterday night and enjoyed it. The Nerd Crew Solo reaction, the joke book thing and their Jack and Jill and Freddy Got Fingered reviews.

greenman

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 28, 2019, 06:27:48 PM
Good point. I mean, the whole publicity thing around "Captain Marvel" was shite but it's not like Brie Larson is uniquely awful. That's the only time, in years and hundreds of videos, where I've really disagreed with anything they've done though.

It doesn't really feel like their seeking it out and in that case you could argue a bit more reason to comment on it as film critics were the targets plus the film itself was such a meh it didn't exactly leave more room for interesting discussion.

Didn't really see too much wrong with it either, I'd say they tend to have more of a problem when they try and position themselves above something like the Joker film.

The Nerd divide really I'd say comes down to not treating anything with an undue reverence, not becoming overly defensive or raging at ruined childhood memories.

SteveDave

Were Rich Evan's parents crack addicts then? Or was that peanut juice? If so, awww.

buzby

Quote from: SteveDave on October 29, 2019, 01:12:43 PM
Were Rich Evan's parents crack addicts then? Or was that peanut juice? If so, awww.
Nobody knows. Rich was brought up by his Grandma though, and she often appeared in Rich & Mikes early short films. He doesn't drink (as he has said there have been problems with alcoholism in his family) or smoke. His dad and two sisters have appeared on one of the Previously Recorded twitch streams though (I think it was when they were visiting Milwaukee for his engagement or wedding).

checkoutgirl

RLM is okay in small doses but similar to Mark Kermode I can't be bothered with it anymore. And the guy who sits on the left that looks like Buster Bluth from Arrested Development, he looks very smug. Like he's constantly telling himself a joke and is very pleased with it. Come to think of it the guy on the right is a bit smug too. Couple of smugos smugging it up all smug. They probably aren't smug but they do look like they are to me.

QDRPHNC

Saving this for Halloween night to watch with the boy and girlf. The Halloween ones are always great.

SteveDave

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 29, 2019, 02:18:31 PM
RLM is okay in small doses but similar to Mark Kermode I can't be bothered with it anymore. And the guy who sits on the left that looks like Buster Bluth from Arrested Development, he looks very smug. Like he's constantly telling himself a joke and is very pleased with it. Come to think of it the guy on the right is a bit smug too. Couple of smugos smugging it up all smug. They probably aren't smug but they do look like they are to me.

At least they don't start every video with "Hey guys!" like every other YouTube channel does. No begging people to like and subscribed either.

SteveDave

Quote from: buzby on October 29, 2019, 02:12:22 PM
Nobody knows. Rich was brought up by his Grandma though, and she often appeared in Rich & Mikes early short films. He doesn't drink (as he has said there have been problems with alcoholism in his family) or smoke. His dad and two sisters have appeared on one of the Previously Recorded twitch streams though (I think it was when they were visiting Milwaukee for his engagement or wedding).

Rich Evans is married? This rabbit hole is getting deeper and weirder.

buzby

Quote from: SteveDave on October 30, 2019, 09:17:34 AM
Rich Evans is married? This rabbit hole is getting deeper and weirder.
Engaged, at least, to Karin, his girlfriend since high school. She moved to Milwaukee a few years ago to come and live with him, and also occasionally appeared on the Pre-Rec Twitch streams with him and Jack. Her existence is responsible for one of his most famous quotes.

bgmnts

The fact that Rich Evans is married gives us all hopenand is lovely.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I like Half in the Bag and Re:View. Best of the Worst I can take or leave - the episodes tend to be rather long and I'm just not that bothered about trash cinema.

The Plinkett reviews are good, but really did overdo it with the serial killer stuff as they went on. The Force Awakens one was a bit bollocks, as I recall, but I've found their coverage of the new Star Warses has generally been confounding - spunking themselves over TFA, then lambasting the subsequent films for the same stuff.

I was disappointed to see they'd packed in Pre-Rec. Dare I say, it was better than the revived series of Consolevania. Their review of Alien Isolation was bang on the money. Jack Packard now has a show about games on The Escapist, minus Rich Evans - here he is talking about Dark Souls.

As a lily livered liberal, I do cringe a bit when they bring up social correctness type of issues. I suppose they're not actually that bad, though - more tone-deaf on the subject than actively twatty and mostly from Mike Stoklasa, who seems increasingly run down and hacked off as time goes by. Jay/Susan's appearance, meanwhile, has improved since the series began. It's like Richard and Judy.

AliasTheCat

New Half in the Bag on Terminator: Dark fate
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTNhL_yO3tPTdQ5XgmmWjA
I enjoyed the repeated use of "they sent an Arnold back in time."

New folder

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 31, 2019, 02:02:29 PM
As a lily livered liberal, I do cringe a bit when they bring up social correctness type of issues. I suppose they're not actually that bad, though - more tone-deaf on the subject than actively twatty and mostly from Mike Stoklasa, who seems increasingly run down and hacked off as time goes by.

I would actually like it if they brought up things like this more often -- given its increasing entanglement with mainstream cinema and film culture these days. And I don't think they come across as tone-deaf at all. Equality involves acknowledging that women and other marginalized individuals are simple human beings: sure, they can offer a different perspective on life from a unique point of view - but they are still only humans, and are therefore probably just as shit as everybody else.

I think that RLM, despite being basically hicks, are a good example of people who view equality in this way. In fact, for me, their approach to these issues is some of the sanest I've seen around. It's nice to have someone who can give a nuanced critique of social justice issues, in a world where most people view them as a superficial black and white tribal affair.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 28, 2019, 05:00:41 PM
The only video I can think of that possibly flipped into Bad territory was the one where they spent 60% of it talking about a Brie Larson press conference, because it just seemed far disproportionate.

As a woman myself, I found that "This movie wasn't made for men" speech to be completely deranged, and merited more discussion than the film. It amounted to nothing more than encouraging divisiveness between the two sexes, masquerading under the banner of social justice and equality. They will never understand our girl movies, isn't that right ladies? Fuck off. Why promote the notion that women are so alien to men, and vice versa? Why is it that both sexes can never understand the other's struggles and points of view? But perhaps she's just an idiot. And so are, perhaps, the endorsers of the whole "female lead GO GIRL empowerment" scam. Mate, your movie is just shite.

I think they make good points about the exploitation of social issues for the cynical purposes of corporate monetary gains. Soulless and outright evil corporations are forgiven, and even praised, for championing "representation" of women in film. Whereas, in reality, their team of market researchers and psychologists have established that making a big deal about representation and demographics = controversy = free promotion = big monies. No, young ladies, Sony and Disney don't give a flying fuck about social inequality; they seek nothing but profits. And no, young men, they are not part of a "femininist conspiracy" either; your anger is nothing more than a marketing tool.

The 2016 Ghostbusters movie also demonstrates the replacement of critique with tribalism. People were labelled as sexist for pointing out the obvious Sandleresque levels of awfulness in the film. A big movie with women leads was actually plain shite, and full of unscrupulous adverts? No, of course not, we must unconditionally love the corporate gruel that contains the female, or perish. Ditto the new series of Doctor Who. Ditto Clinton. Ditto female billionaires.

Thousands upon thousands of morons proudly proclaimed to have watched this garbage in the theatres multiple times, just to spite the white male nerds. That will show them "Nazis"!!! And of course we need to support poor old Sony Corp, for standing up for the little guy. I mean girl – whoops. As if the same companies wouldn't throw any marginalized demographic under the bus as soon as they become unprofitable.

Of course, I would really like to see more diversity in the movie industry, but this is just not the way.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 28, 2019, 01:22:20 PM
They are sensitive to what they perceive as studio pandering, so I understand how you could come away with that impression. My perception though, is that they have no problem with women or minorities, they have a problem with women or minorities being cynically used by studios. In all my years watching RLM, I've never seen them have a problem with casting in the same way "nerd culture" can tend to. It's a fine line to walk, but to me it's clear they're on the right side of this one.

Basically this. Although bizarrely, those men who bemoan diversity will also go and watch the next pretend feminist Marvel movie, so beholden are they to the brand. The values and convictions of nerds are completely meaningless, and the PR departments know precisely that. The nerd is one of the most perfect examples of a consumer, and will consume exactly as he is told. So it's a win on both sides.

In the end, movies get worse and worse, sequel after prequel after remake – meaningless, churned out, beige products of capitalism. Flashy sounds and images hiding behind the most sensitive social issue of the week, still inherently uniform and devoid of all meaning and artistic value. Women lose. Men lose. As Mike himself said, "Anybody who enjoys cinema as an art form loses". But I guess this is a world of corporate shilling, brand loyalty wars, cultivated consumer identities based around movie franchises, trailer whooping, toy captain America shield-wielding, DisneysTM Star WarsTM Kylo RenTM Garden Salad munching imbeciles.

Ideally, RLM would completely stop reviewing the monthly Disney's Marvel's Corporatesludge movies, just for principles sake. Maybe only talk about the big picture of it all, rather than treating the individual films as if they are actually cinema and not a product. They seemed to understand this with Jack and Jill, but have a curious blind spot when it comes to big budget superhero fare. Even if the movie might have been competently executed, they are still giving the whole machine a low-level endorsement. And I do think that deep down it's something that they themselves would believe to be the right thing to do.

....eh, I mean.... AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIDS

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

'Tone deaf' may have been a poor description. They seem to come down in favour of the status quo whenever the issue is brought up. E.g. The Plinkett review of The Force Awakens makes a big deal of the diversity of the lead actors (much more than the film itself ever does) then argues that children don't care about diversity, so the cast may as well have been a bunch of white blokes.