Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:16:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Quote from: Povidone on September 26, 2021, 10:49:58 PM
Can't remember what episodes it happens in but Mike attempting to initiate prank phone calls and immediately crumbling then having to hand the phone over to Rich who just nails it every time is one of my favourite things in RLM canon.

Can't fine the stream as it is one of hundreds but he said on Previously Recorded that he hated when Mike handed him the phone as it put him on the spot. He intentionally fucked up the America Online one by being overtly offensive.

QDRPHNC

Has anyone caught up with the Black Spine Raffle episode?

I'm only halfway through it, but so far Jay has the line of the episode:
Spoiler alert
"Ayyyyy! I'm a fuckin bus driver! Be safe!"
[close]

I have the impression that with this appearance and his previous one, Tim is trying to rehabilitate his image somewhat, after the general feeling he was a wee bit too drunk back in March. He's showing up looking rested, more neatly dressed and with a haircut these days.

JamesTC

Mike is a fool to criticise Rich's phone wallet. Get with the times Mike.

QDRPHNC

I'm going to have to agree with Mike on that one, never understood those things. Unless you crave losing your credit cards and ID every time you misplace your phone.

Edit: Holy shit they're watching an Osho tape! I was literally just listening to recordings of his lectures in bed this morning!

Chairman Yang

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 05, 2021, 01:06:03 PM
I have the impression that with this appearance and his previous one, Tim is trying to rehabilitate his image somewhat, after the general feeling he was a wee bit too drunk back in March. He's showing up looking rested, more neatly dressed and with a haircut these days.

He had my favourite line, just utterly miserable delivery:

Spoiler alert

Tape: "Gotta get up and get dressed now..."
Tim: "This is a long to way to get to a fucking bus song"
[close]

Mobbd

Quote from: JamesTC on October 05, 2021, 01:18:26 PM
Mike is a fool to criticise Rich's phone wallet. Get with the times Mike.

I thought about this thread when Mike was doing that. I think Rich was cool with it.

Also related to this thread, we've been rewatching the halloween BotW episodes (because 'tis the season) and I spotted goldentony's shirt. It's in the Shark Exorcist episode and can be seen all over Josh's sexy body here: https://youtu.be/X7_ZU4dlqXk?t=892

The shitty
Spoiler alert
levitation
[close]
video in the black spine raffle was great.
Spoiler alert
"It's not only fun but environmentally safe too!"
[close]

Rizla

Quote from: Povidone on September 26, 2021, 10:49:58 PM
Can't remember what episodes it happens in but Mike attempting to initiate prank phone calls and immediately crumbling then having to hand the phone over to Rich who just nails it every time is one of my favourite things in RLM canon.
This one was glorious https://youtu.be/ceUSZBMeREY?t=933

That Milton Bearle video was jaw-dropping, even Mike was clearly taken aback by how much of a revolting sleazebag he was. That poor lady chef visibly flinching when he was touching her.

QDRPHNC

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Part two of the John Carpenter chart is out.

QDRPHNC

Just watched it with my morning tea. I had no idea Carpenter did Memoirs of an Invisible Man! I remember renting it as a kid because it looked like a comedy (which it is, mostly) and it made me laugh once or twice. In my head I've always had it filed under "extremely forgettable 80s comedy".

Surprised Rich had Vampires so high. Seeing that in the theatre was the point at which I also stopped being interested in Carpenter. The first scene (as they talk about in the show) is fantastic, lots of tension, lots of inventive ideas. But it nosedives after that. I remember being confused by it as well, when James Woods tells the priest I think that the stereotype of the long haired vampire "Eurotrash" isn't true but... that's exactly what they are the in movie.

The feeling Vampires left me with, was that it solidified that Carpenter is a great director of suspense and atmosphere, and bad director of action (even Jay, the eternal Escape for NY fanboy, admits that it's an action movie without good action). Which is also why I think Rich is nuts have The Fog so low, it's just wall to wall suspense.

Blumf

Vampires does seem to be trying to ape From Dusk Till Dawn, but without the wit or fun.

greenman

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 08, 2021, 02:34:17 PM
Just watched it with my morning tea. I had no idea Carpenter did Memoirs of an Invisible Man! I remember renting it as a kid because it looked like a comedy (which it is, mostly) and it made me laugh once or twice. In my head I've always had it filed under "extremely forgettable 80s comedy".

Surprised Rich had Vampires so high. Seeing that in the theatre was the point at which I also stopped being interested in Carpenter. The first scene (as they talk about in the show) is fantastic, lots of tension, lots of inventive ideas. But it nosedives after that. I remember being confused by it as well, when James Woods tells the priest I think that the stereotype of the long haired vampire "Eurotrash" isn't true but... that's exactly what they are the in movie.

The feeling Vampires left me with, was that it solidified that Carpenter is a great director of suspense and atmosphere, and bad director of action (even Jay, the eternal Escape for NY fanboy, admits that it's an action movie without good action). Which is also why I think Rich is nuts have The Fog so low, it's just wall to wall suspense.

I would say moreso he's someone who was mostly interested in suspense rather than action, he did carry the latter off pretty well in Big Trouble in Little China and I felt Christine had some great sequences at the end as well. Something like Escape From Newyork though I don't ever really get the sense Carpenter is looking for the action set pieces to drive to the story, even the fight with the wrestler its more of a sideshow to Brain stealing the president.

You could argue Rich is pretty consistent I spose in that he doesnt rate the films very heavily focused on atmosphere like that, The Fog or Prince of Darkness that highly but I don't think it sums up Carpenters career well.

I'd actually say 90's Carpenter turned into more the kind of director they look to characterize him as, a maker of cheesey genre films you can enjoy whilst half laughing at with friends.

Deanjam

Laughed my head off at this bit. Perfect dry delivery from Rich.

kngen

Tangentially, it was nice to see Near Dark get some love. Great fucking film (even if the director turned out to be a horrible pro-imperialist shill), and definitely the best take on a modern vampire film. Think that piece of crap The Lost Boys being released around the same time really screwed it.

QDRPHNC

Oh yeah, Near Dark is great... not quite a cult classic, but not far off.

Quote from: greenman on October 08, 2021, 05:00:35 PM
I would say moreso he's someone who was mostly interested in suspense rather than action, he did carry the latter off pretty well in Big Trouble in Little China and I felt Christine had some great sequences at the end as well. 

That's fair - Big Trouble is really well done.

greenman

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 09, 2021, 02:18:56 PMThat's fair - Big Trouble is really well done.

Perhaps not quite at the level of 80's HK stuff but I would say better than most US martial arts stuff of the era. Even there you could definately argue Carpenter preffers hi atmosphere though I spose, the nature of the film is that your going deeper and deeper into that world until the last 20 mins or so.

With Escape From Newyork I suspect that expectations are the big issue, the look of russels character and the setup you expect it to be more of an action film. It does have a good deal of action in it but really most of it I don't think its played as "will Snake survive this moment" so much as a general creeping threat, if the action were too "cool" I think it would detract from that.

beanheadmcginty

Has there ever been any admission from the makers of Mortal Kombat that Raiden is completely ripped off from that electric bloke with the giant hat in Big Trouble in Little China?

Deanjam

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 10, 2021, 05:24:11 AM
Has there ever been any admission from the makers of Mortal Kombat that Raiden is completely ripped off from that electric bloke with the giant hat in Big Trouble in Little China?

Yes.

Link to tweet and further replies:  https://twitter.com/therealsaibot/status/1381692273021181953

beanheadmcginty

Aha! Fair play then. Although if they were going in that direction they should have definitely also included the bloke who inflates himself and steam comes out of his nose and then he explodes.

bgmnts

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 10, 2021, 03:16:59 PM
Aha! Fair play then. Although if they were going in that direction they should have definitely also included the bloke who inflates himself and steam comes out of his nose and then he explodes.

I think that is actually a fatality isn't it?

beanheadmcginty

Oh is it? I only played the first one on the Mega Drive a couple of times. Well if that's the case then they should have included a fatality involving Jack Burton running someone over in the Pork Chop Express.

Goldentony

watching the tron review here and Jay laments that if only someone familiar with synthesizers was doing the score instead of the person who did, honestly fucking hell lads, hey, fucking the absolute all of hell

kngen

Quote from: Goldentony on October 12, 2021, 04:33:36 AM
watching the tron review here and Jay laments that if only someone familiar with synthesizers was doing the score instead of the person who did, honestly fucking hell lads, hey, fucking the absolute all of hell

I love RLM, but they are so consistently wrong about stuff that I like it, it starts to feel personal: John Barry's Black Hole soundtrack is 'terrible'; the stuff about Tron; Blade Runner 2049 is better than the original; Mad Max Fury Road is better than Mad Max 2. I mean, c'mon to fuck, people!

Goldentony

Rizla

Quote from: kngen on October 12, 2021, 02:20:45 PM
I love RLM, but they are so consistently wrong about stuff that I like it, it starts to feel personal: John Barry's Black Hole soundtrack is 'terrible'; the stuff about Tron; Blade Runner 2049 is better than the original; Mad Max Fury Road is better than Mad Max 2. I mean, c'mon to fuck, people!
tbf, all americans can't stop getting Mad Max wrong - the '79 original seems quite poorly regarded over there, maybe because the dubbed version is the one most of them have seen. Or cos they're all idiots.

QDRPHNC

Goldentony

Jay should have stood up and ended it there, shutter the business

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on September 26, 2021, 10:21:53 PM
I don't think Mike's insults bother Rich at all. They've been best friends for decades, and its always clear how much chemistry they have, how similar their humour is, and how much they enjoy doing videos together. Outside of a handful of occasions when Mike went a bit far, I don't think there's any indication that Rich is bothered by the things he says.

I agree - it is done in a "character" way to make the episodes amusing and both are clearly onboard with it.  Unless anyone has any behind the scenes evidence that Rich isn't playing along when he looks disgruntled by Mike's remarks, my gut reaction is that it's all done for silliness and humour - a classic double-act scenario.

Replies From View

Quote from: Rizla on October 05, 2021, 02:51:40 PM
This one was glorious https://youtu.be/ceUSZBMeREY?t=933

My favourite is the giraffe world one with giraffes on platforms watching a show, and there's something about a magnetron that makes the DVD blast out lasers if you try to copy it, melting everyone's faces like raiders of the lost ark.

Everyone was thoroughly pissing themselves at that, as was I.