Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,207
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:52:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Apparently the first cut of this year's Halloween BOTW came in at 4 hours, but they're trimming it down.

Deanjam

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Goldentony on October 12, 2021, 04:33:36 AM
watching the tron review here and Jay laments that if only someone familiar with synthesizers was doing the score instead of the person who did, honestly fucking hell lads, hey, fucking the absolute all of hell

I stopped watching the Re:view stuff because the informational blind spots started to annoy me. They did episodes on Predator and Blade Runner without mentioning the soundtrack to either film even though the score for both films is absolutely essential to the mood. And Blade Runner probably has one of the best scores ever recorded. Didn't even occur to them to mention it.

Mobbd

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 14, 2021, 09:12:00 PM
I stopped watching the Re:view stuff because the informational blind spots started to annoy me. They did episodes on Predator and Blade Runner without mentioning the soundtrack to either film even though the score for both films is absolutely essential to the mood. And Blade Runner probably has one of the best scores ever recorded. Didn't even occur to them to mention it.

They're not supposed to be comprehensive reviews! They are 20-50 minute comedy shows, waxing lyrical on favourite old films. The subjects are fun to talk and think about is all.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Mobbd on October 15, 2021, 09:50:06 AM
They're not supposed to be comprehensive reviews! They are 20-50 minute comedy shows, waxing lyrical on favourite old films. The subjects are fun to talk and think about is all.

Nothing I said is incorrect though, I stopped watching because the things they missed annoyed me. If it doesn't annoy you then great, but a show with the word review in the title that is often 20 to 30 minutes long shouldn't omit something as important as the soundtrack when it's so integral to certain films.

I'm more lenient with Best of the Worst because it's more overtly comedic in its style. One of my favourites is The Chooper, I've watched it a few times and love it. Joe Bob Briggs did a commentary on The Chooper and you learn  more in 2 minutes listening to Joe Bob than 30 minutes listening to Red Letter Media. But that's fine because BOTW doesn't have the word review in the title and is just more of a pisstake anyway.

QDRPHNC

I completely agree with both Jay's and Rich's number ones.

Also, but of an On Cinema crossover, but watching this found Keith Gordon, star of Christine was the same Keith Gordon who appeared on OCOS 5.

Mobbd

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 15, 2021, 01:41:50 PM
Nothing I said is incorrect though, I stopped watching because the things they missed annoyed me. If it doesn't annoy you then great, but a show with the word review in the title that is often 20 to 30 minutes long shouldn't omit something as important as the soundtrack when it's so integral to certain films.

I'm more lenient with Best of the Worst because it's more overtly comedic in its style. One of my favourites is The Chooper, I've watched it a few times and love it. Joe Bob Briggs did a commentary on The Chooper and you learn  more in 2 minutes listening to Joe Bob than 30 minutes listening to Red Letter Media. But that's fine because BOTW doesn't have the word review in the title and is just more of a pisstake anyway.

BOTW is my favourite. I call it "Besties." Please don't tell anyone what a loser I am.

Blumf

Their rankings:

Wasn't really a surprise for the top spots, both stonking films. I think I'm closer to Jay that Rich, although I'd probably drop BTiLC at #1.

bgmnts

Halloween at 12 for Rich sticks out like a sore thumb but I can see why he wouldn't rate it highly.

It is a toss up between The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China though so they got that spot on.

Blumf

I think Assault on Precinct 13 should have been a few steps higher. Possibly the purist Carpenter film, being nothing but creeping tension.

Goldentony

fucking starman, delete the channel

Povidone

Quote from: Povidone on September 25, 2021, 12:31:07 AM
It's an interesting exercise and I want a full tally of both lists to be made available because they only flash up for a second in that video.

Quote from: Blumf on October 15, 2021, 08:31:28 PM
Their rankings:

Wasn't really a surprise for the top spots, both stonking films. I think I'm closer to Jay that Rich, although I'd probably drop BTiLC at #1.

Yer a good lad, Blumf

Yeah my top three would be Rich's but with Christine fucked off in favour of Assault On Precinct 13.

Deanjam

I'd go:

01. The Thing
02. Big Trouble in Little China
03. The Fog
04. They Live
05. Halloween
06. Prince of Darkness
07. Assault on Precint 13
08. Starman
09. In the Mouth of Madness
10. Christine
11. Memoirs of an Invisible Man
12. Village of the Damned
13. Vampires
14. Dark Star
15. Ghosts of Mars
16. Escape from LA

Not seen: The Ward

checkoutgirl

Jay and Rich are the perfect pairing because Mike isn't there being sarcastic and interrupting the flow. And John Carpenter is the perfect subject so hopefully they continue with this strand, maybe give it a title and keep the personnel as it is. Resist the temptation to throw Mike in to freshen it up. That would be good.

I've hardly been watching any RLM lately so a new segment could be just what the doctor ordered.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blumf on October 15, 2021, 09:46:23 PM
I think Assault on Precinct 13 should have been a few steps higher. Possibly the purist Carpenter film, being nothing but creeping tension.

I agree, one of the few questions over a very solid list from Jay. I think his order is more accurate from a more technical filmmaking perspective. No surprise as I've always found Jay to be the most knowledgeable of the main three with Mike, Rich and a few others just going more on gut and having knowledge on their own more narrow tastes.  Could be wrong on that though.

bgmnts

To be fair Assualt on Precinct 13 is a bit dull by comparison to a lot of the others on the list.

oy vey

Jay's list, sticking Starman just under In the Mouth of Madness. Yeah, that'll do. Pity Cigarette Burns isn't eligible. Love that one.

QDRPHNC

Halloween BOTW just went up! Love it, going to to save that for tonight along with some laqers.

idunnosomename

I was bit surprised how the soundtrack didn't get a mention on the Halloween Smells evisceration but often they don't insult our intelligence by telling us things we know.

I tend to watch the BotWs in bits so now I've just seen the Shakma film where Shakma gets hit by a car at the beginning. Mike seems off his face already. Just here for the boos.

QDRPHNC

"Nice job! Congratulations"
Howard Stern

Mobbd

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 29, 2021, 10:36:38 PM
I was bit surprised how the soundtrack didn't get a mention on the Halloween Smells evisceration

rofl!

I enjoyed the episode very much. Always happy when they put such efforts into the set; a real sense of occasion.

I love that Mike can't remember a fucking thing about previous Halloweens. Do you think he's okay? It's either dementia or diabetes. Though the latter is really a fate reserved for Rich (and Dom Deluise).

kngen

Quote from: Mobbd on October 30, 2021, 12:52:00 PM
I love that Mike can't remember a fucking thing about previous Halloweens.

I laughed a lot at his complete disdain for all Italian cinema. 'What? The Bicycle Thief?'

idunnosomename

Mike pulls a face at Il Postino

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 29, 2021, 11:35:24 PM
"Nice job! Congratulations"
Howard Stern

Another Donald Farmer joint! As I recall someone on here has actually worked with him?

Mobbd

Quote from: convulsivespace on November 01, 2021, 02:14:59 AM
Another Donald Farmer joint! As I recall someone on here has actually worked with him?

Please god let that be true.

QDRPHNC

Yes, it's further back in this very thread in the Shark Exorcist discussion.

"Chekhov's Cum." If that isn't a CaB name looking for a user, I don't know what is.

idunnosomename

that looked like a perfectly good LCD TV Jay smashed. was impressed by the dinosaur pyjamas though

QDRPHNC

Am I being shitty posting some of their Patreon stuff here? I figure about 5 people read this thread, so no harm done? Thoughts?

QuoteNovember Updates

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the nice comments about our Halloween Best of the Worst. It was a heavy episode both in terms of shooting and editing so we're glad people liked how it turned out. We had to use pretty much every light and modifier we had to properly light it, so even breaking down the set and trying to organize our lights and get everything back to normal was a big pain in the ass. We'll be posting outtakes from the episode here in the next few days.

Now that October's out of the way, we have at least four video ideas to shoot in the next month or so including a spotlight episode of Best of the Worst (not sure on the exact movie yet but we have it narrowed down to a few options) as well as a couple of re:Views, one for the kind-of forgotten sci-fi film Enemy Mine and yes, we will be doing a video about Dune. Not a Half in the Bag but a re:View comparing the Lynch version to the new version with our first guest in about two years, Colin from Canada!

Ooh, that'll be good.
It really made me reappraise the Lynch version which I watched the fan edit of shortly after. Compared to the the new one, it's a feckin triumph!
Not to say that the new one is particularly bad, it's so damn safe and boring and ... nuffin.

I have vague memories of seeing that "Enemy Mine" as a kid.
It was like a weird anti racist thing or something? I picked it in the video shop because the cover looked cool and I was like "yas man, space, aliens, this is gonna be well wicked! Laser beams, spaceship fights" and it's not that, but I remember warming to it in the end.

DrGreggles