Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:38:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 10, 2019, 05:57:17 PM
'Tone deaf' may have been a poor description. They seem to come down in favour of the status quo whenever the issue is brought up. E.g. The Plinkett review of The Force Awakens makes a big deal of the diversity of the lead actors (much more than the film itself ever does) then argues that children don't care about diversity, so the cast may as well have been a bunch of white blokes.

Their point seems more that these are corporate products as much as movies, and that the guiding hand in all things to giant corporations is profitability rather than an authentic desire to encourage the diversification of the film industry (and promote it to the wider world).  I'm not sure the suggestion is that it might as well have all been white blokes.  The criticism is against Hollywood cant around the topic (see also the HITB reviews of 'Captain Marvel', 'Red Tails', and 'Ghostbusters' - incl the Mr Plinkett review of the latter).  They also point out that despite Disney's claims, they keep handing these movies over to the same vaguely nerdy middle aged white guys.

Personally, I enjoy most of their output - to add to those listed above, the previous excellent Re:View episode with Freddie Got Fingered made me reassess my feelings on the film - though only briefly.  And anyone who doesn't crack up when Rich Evans does has no soul.

Famous Mortimer

I finally got round to watching their Halloween special, which I've been putting off because I'm friends with the director of "Shark Exorcist" (I reviewed all his movies on my blog, we got chatting on Facebook, I was briefly employed by him to do some photography for his side-business). And wow did they tear that movie a new one, which it completely deserved - I own the actual rubber shark prop, signed by the director - and I now understand why he wasn't thrilled about having the most publicity one of his movies has had in decades.

By the way, like the RLM guys said, don't watch it. The credits roll at 59 minutes, there's a mid-credits scene featuring a teenager walking about a mall and rubbing my precious rubber shark all over herself, then a scene at the end of the credits (which the RLM guys appear not to have noticed). It feels unfinished and shitty - my favourite is the scene where the ghost-chaser TV show host is talking to camera, but you can see her cameraman in the background, which means she's talking into the movie's camera and no-one either noticed or cared.

I really liked New Folder's post on the previous page, I agree.

QDRPHNC

Interesting!

So... what's his deal then? Does RLM have it right that he's a fetishist for women rolling around on the ground in parks?

marquis_de_sad

In the latest 2019 movie round-up, Mike gives two thumbs up to... Yesterday. I take it all back, this man is a fraud.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 11, 2019, 04:01:52 PM
Interesting!

So... what's his deal then? Does RLM have it right that he's a fetishist for women rolling around on the ground in parks?
If so, it's a fetish that's developed later in life, as I don't remember any other scenes of that sort in any of his other films; also, I'm not sure there's quite as much of it as the RLM guys are making there out to be (it didn't register with me when I watched it, but then again I'm not the world's most observant guy). I just think it's more likely that he couldn't afford to pay the women to go topless.

He's made some...fun?...movies in his time, though. A couple with scream queen Melissa Moore; and he directed Brigitte Nielsen and Dana Plato in "Compelling Evidence", which is as close as he got to a normal B-movie thriller. Most of them are absolutely appalling, though. And this is coming from someone who's a "producer" on two of his films, thanks Indiegogo.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 11, 2019, 03:51:52 PM
I finally got round to watching their Halloween special, which I've been putting off because I'm friends with the director of "Shark Exorcist" (I reviewed all his movies on my blog, we got chatting on Facebook, I was briefly employed by him to do some photography for his side-business). And wow did they tear that movie a new one, which it completely deserved - I own the actual rubber shark prop, signed by the director - and I now understand why he wasn't thrilled about having the most publicity one of his movies has had in decades.

By the way, like the RLM guys said, don't watch it. The credits roll at 59 minutes, there's a mid-credits scene featuring a teenager walking about a mall and rubbing my precious rubber shark all over herself, then a scene at the end of the credits (which the RLM guys appear not to have noticed). It feels unfinished and shitty - my favourite is the scene where the ghost-chaser TV show host is talking to camera, but you can see her cameraman in the background, which means she's talking into the movie's camera and no-one either noticed or cared.

I really liked New Folder's post on the previous page, I agree.

Wow, really? That was one of my favourite RLM reviews in recent memory, and the fact that you own the shark from the most infamous scene is blowing my mind. (Imagine if I ever met a real celebrity.)

I'd be really curious to know from the director how much of a boost in sales he sees after an RLM review gets posted.

Your explanation was my take when watching the review, by the way. In a movie cast with non-professionals from the middle of Ohio (?), writhing around on the ground was likely the most B-movie sex content he could get into the film.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 11, 2019, 06:23:23 PM
Wow, really? That was one of my favourite RLM reviews in recent memory, and the fact that you own the shark from the most infamous scene is blowing my mind. (Imagine if I ever met a real celebrity.)
It's nice to finally meet someone who's impressed by that fact :)

He's from Tennessee, and he's about a 4-hour drive from me, so if I can get the time off work I may try and sneak into the background of a few scenes in his next movie, which is shooting next year.

He made a movie called "Savage Vengeance" in the late 80s, which was originally billed as "I Spit On Your Grave 2" - he even got Camille Keaton, star of the original, to reprise her role. Then the director of the original sued him so it sat on a shelf for years, and they had to dub over every example of the star's name. Although they seem friendly enough now, apparently Keaton walked off set because it was a miserable experience, leading to some weird editing near the end where she's referred to but doesn't appear. It was sleazy, even if the rape scene near the beginning was fully clothed (a curious choice, at best).

Anyway, some weird guy from near me actually made a remake of "Savage Vengeance" this year - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/savage-vengeance#/ I'm trying to think of a more obscure, worse movie to have received the remake treatment and I can't think of any.

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on November 11, 2019, 04:46:03 PM
In the latest 2019 movie round-up, Mike gives two thumbs up to... Yesterday. I take it all back, this man is a fraud.

So far he's more than made up for that by editing in the poster for the late-90s Harland Ellison comedy "RocketMan"

(Edit: sorry Mike, you fraud. It was edited by Jay)

Revisiting a classic, the Jack and Jill review really is the best HITB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXNsT7-Lwsk

(Jay was still in his Puffy Scruff phase in 2015? Trump was already running for President?)

they reuploaded a lot of old videos in 2015, the Jack and Jill review is originally from 2011

DrGreggles

I re-watched 'BOTW: Plinketto 1' the other day.
Mike's interruption of Rich Evans' attempted joke is fantastically timed:
https://youtu.be/X4WzW8wYr0o?t=1580

idunnosomename

Quote from: AliasTheCat on November 04, 2019, 04:13:14 PM
New Half in the Bag on Terminator: Dark fate
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTNhL_yO3tPTdQ5XgmmWjA
I enjoyed the repeated use of "they sent an Arnold back in time."
that must've been the first time rich evans has put on the old man costume in two years or so

I found it a bit boring because the film is clearly a bit shit but I did like "but that's a different guy!"

Chapwithwings

Going by their Patreon there's a whole bunch of new stuff with Macauley Culkin coming in the next few weeks.  Not sure if I'm fussed with that - he's been okay but his pal that was on the last BOTW they did was awful, and tonally he doesn't seem to fit the BOTW/Re:View stuff the way the Canadians or even Patton Oswalt did. 

JamesTC

With Culkin back on RLM, the gang have done another Bunny Ears podcast. It is nice to get just an hour long chat with the gang. They also did one last year.

I especially like when they get onto talking about Star Trek. Mike revealing his second favourite Star Trek is Voyager was a surprise to Rich as much as anyone. I'm surprised that Rich still hasn't seen Season 3 and 4 of Enterprise though he does sound open to watching them.

Deanjam

Quote from: JamesTC on November 16, 2019, 02:15:32 PM
With Culkin back on RLM, the gang have done another Bunny Ears podcast. It is nice to get just an hour long chat with the gang. They also did one last year.

Mike: I wanna do a ghost hunt at the Axe Murder House.
Culkin: What's the story there?
Rich: It's called the Axe Murder House!
Jay: But the name's unrelated.

New folder

Quote from: Chapwithwings on November 16, 2019, 10:14:33 AM
his pal that was on the last BOTW they did was awful

Yeah, even Mike seemed to be quite irritated throughout that episode (I assume for this exact reason). I don't really mind Culkin though, he's fairly witty and has decent chemistry with the lads.

Anyway, I think these are very important:
https://youtu.be/PpKmyCywboQ
https://youtu.be/jousdUnJkJw

Jim Bob

I'm not sure why Macauley Culkin keeps cropping up in their videos, beyond "OMG. It's the kid from Home Alone!"  It's all a bit cringe to be honest.  Yeah, he's moderately famous, I get it and I am not impressed.

I'm not a big fan of the Culkster, but then again I think it should just be Mike, Jay, Rich and sometimes the Canadians.

Rizla

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 16, 2019, 03:59:07 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Culkster, but then again I think it should just be Mike, Jay, Rich and sometimes the Canadians.
I found the Culkin episodes unbearable, almost as bad as Landis. I think Josh and particularly Jack bring a lot to the table. Jack pissed up is excellent value.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 16, 2019, 03:42:44 PM
I'm not sure why Macauley Culkin keeps cropping up in their videos, beyond "OMG. It's the kid from Home Alone!"  It's all a bit cringe to be honest.  Yeah, he's moderately famous, I get it and I am not impressed.

By this point hasn't he appeared in more minutes of RLM reviews than in minutes of Home Alone films?

Makes you think.

QDRPHNC

Landis I hate, Culk I can take or leave, but he seems to be getting better with each appearance. Earlier on he was trying too hard to be funny and laughing at his own jokes. Would be nice to see Len Kabasinski pay them another visit. Josh and Jack and pretty good, but I'd take Jim and Colin over them any time.

Revisited Twister's Revenge the other night, which is the only BOTW Spotlight I've only sat through once. It's still the weakest, but better that I'd remembered. How some of these films get made it beyond me - they can't find decent actors or write a decent script, but they somehow manage to get a tank involved in an actual real-life parade for the purposes of filming. Seems like the classic Ramsay situation of busting your balls the wrong way round.

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the finest BOTW Spotlight is Lycan Colony, although it's ahead by a very slim margin. It's not just crap, it's mystifyingly crap, and the RLM guys are on top form, clearly electrified by the sheer absurdity of what they're watching.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 16, 2019, 05:40:01 PM
Landis I hate, Culk I can take or leave, but he seems to be getting better with each appearance. Earlier on he was trying too hard to be funny and laughing at his own jokes. Would be nice to see Len Kabasinski pay them another visit. Josh and Jack and pretty good, but I'd take Jim and Colin over them any time.
I'm internet mates with Len Kabasinski, he's a lovely fella (he commented on a photo of me holding a snake this morning). His movies are super-low-budget, like Donald Farmer's, but unlike Farmer some of them are quite good. "Ninja: Prophecy of Death" and "Hellcat's Revenge" are maybe his best? Bear in mind before you rush to buy them based on my recommendation that they were both made for roughly the amount of money you have in your pocket right now and should not be judged directly against big studio stuff.

kidney

I wish every BOTW had Colin, he's just so lovely I want to hug him and ruffle his hair.

Wizard McBeard-fat and AIDS Moby can get to fuck though

Piggyoioi

The canadians are the only good guests. i'd love to shove half a dated thesaurus down josh's throat while i look into his 'gradual recognition that im doing him a favour accepting of death eyes'.

DrGreggles

Colin from Canada and Jim from Canada are both fantastic on BOTW.
At least one of them should be on each time.

The Rem Lezar BOTW turned up as a YouTube recommendation yesterday, so I had to watch it again.
One of my favourites.

idunnosomename

I think Culkin has good repart with them and good comedy chops too since he is an actor and all. No problem. The joke with RLM is they don't put him on the thumbnails or anything and just treat him as some guy.

I realised what's odd about the Nerd Crew and why it seems a bit slow sometimes is that it has no music bed like every other format they do. I guess it's to make it sound like a podcast? Still. Some funny bits in the new one. I know the finale was meant to be contrived but it still felt lackluster after chaos of the other endings.

REPEATING THINGS IS COMEDY!

Jim Bob

idunnosomename

Well hope youre ready for Culkamania to run willd on you because Xmas BotW with him has just gone up

QDRPHNC

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 15, 2019, 02:58:56 PM
Well hope youre ready for Culkamania to run willd on you because Xmas BotW with him has just gone up

Disappointing. Culkin is OK, but I prefer it when he's not on it.

I've been bottling this up... I didn't think Rem Lazar was that amazing. It had the components of something amazingly awful, but for some reason never came together for me in the way that something like Lycan Colony did. It was a good BOTW, but not a stone-cold classic like the hack frauds / online fans built it up as.

"Man child dying in hospice"

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 15, 2019, 02:58:56 PM

Meh. Why do they feel the need to have guests so often, does it make it easier to fill an episode?