Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:59:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

Seeing as Halloween is around the corner, I thought I'd put the feelers out and see if anyone has any recommendations for horror films - not the usual ones you would get in a "Best Ever" list, I'm thinking more of films that not enough people talk about that are thoroughly enjoyable, downright creepy and / or good nominations to sit and watch in a group while sitting in the dark.

One film I'll put out there is The Last Broadcast. It's a film that is best to go in cold without any prior knowledge, but in essence it is an amateurish documentary about The Jersey Devil.

Johnboy

The Innocents (1961)
Possession (1981)

Enrico Palazzo

The House of the Devil (2009)
Afflicted (2013)
Wind Chill (2007)
The Day of the Beast (1995)
Excision (2012)
Starry Eyes (2014)
Dead End (2003)
The Wailing (2016)

SteveDave

Hell House LLC is the best found footage horror film I've seen in a long time.

Jim Bob

Little Otik (an insatiable stop-motion twig baby eats everything in sight) and Ravenous (cannibal film with Guy Pearce and Robert Carlyle) are two underappreciated horror films which I would highly recommend to anyone.

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM
One film I'll put out there is The Last Broadcast. It's a film that is best to go in cold without any prior knowledge, but in essence it is an amateurish documentary about The Jersey Devil.

Eh; a poor man's The Blair Witch Project, with an infuriatingly shit twist ending.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Jim Bob on October 24, 2019, 11:56:45 AM
Little Otik (an insatiable stop-motion twig baby eats everything in sight) and Ravenous (cannibal film with Guy Pearce and Robert Carlyle) are two underappreciated horror films which I would highly recommend to anyone.

Eh; a poor man's The Blair Witch Project, with an infuriatingly shit twist ending.

Although released in 2000, The Last Broadcast actually preceded The Blair Witch Project by a year, produced in 1998. It was just one of those unfortunate timing things. The same way that everyone called Twin Town "The Welsh Trainspotting". I liked it though. Also SPOILERS

dr_christian_troy

Has anyone been watching The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs by the way? Each film introduced (and interluded) by Joe Bob discussing details of the film, with the film selections varying from classic horror to pure schlock with the occasional hidden gem along the way.

Jim Bob

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on October 24, 2019, 12:10:30 PM
Although released in 2000, The Last Broadcast actually preceded The Blair Witch Project by a year, produced in 1998. It was just one of those unfortunate timing things.

Aye, I'm aware of that.  My "a poor man's The Blair Witch Project" comment wasn't inferring that it was a rip-off.  Something can still be similar to something else and inferior, even if it was made before that other thing.

Also SPOILERS

Eh.  I don't think that me merely mentioning that it has a twist ending is a spoiler, particularly when said twist ending is such a monumentally shit arse-pull that no cunt would ever guess it.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Jim Bob on October 24, 2019, 12:16:02 PM
Aye, I'm aware of that.  My "a poor man's The Blair Witch Project" comment wasn't inferring that it was a rip-off.  Something can still be similar to something else and inferior, even if it was made before that other thing.

Eh.  I don't think that me merely mentioning that it has a twist ending is a spoiler, particularly when said twist ending is such a monumentally shit arse-pull that no cunt would ever guess it.

True, but perhaps quite uniquely, it is a film which is best to tell people that it's a documentary so the ending is more of a surprise I guess. By mentioning a twist it adheres to the possibility of fiction rather than fact. Granted it should be relatively apparent that it isn't what it says it is early on, but I've known friends who went into it cold believing it to be what it says it is which allowed for the twist to be more effective, if that makes sense.

Anyways, agreed on Little Otik and Ravenous. Marvellous films.

Head Gardener

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on October 24, 2019, 12:13:05 PM
Has anyone been watching The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs by the way? Each film introduced (and interluded) by Joe Bob discussing details of the film, with the film selections varying from classic horror to pure schlock with the occasional hidden gem along the way.

ooh I didn't know there was a show on this I read the book years ago and it's brilliant, shall look for the show on torrentland, cheers!

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 24, 2019, 12:45:06 PM
ooh I didn't know there was a show on this I read the book years ago and it's brilliant, shall look for the show on torrentland, cheers!

You're in for a treat. Before the recent re-emergence on the Shudder app (also available on Amazon Prime), Joe Bob was hosting his show in the US for many years. An extensive chronological collection of clips can be seen here.

Head Gardener

Johnny Textface

Society (1989). Great scene where Michael J Fox punches up someones arsehole until their skull falls off.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

purlieu

Obviously there's a lot to go at in this superb thread, but my recommendations for lesser known ones would be:

The Borderlands (2013)
YellowBrickRoad (2010)
The Void (2016)
Lake Mungo (2008)
AM1200 (2008)

The first four are all fairly divisive, but definitely did it for me. The latter is a short film which is superb and definitely worth tracking down.

Famous Mortimer

Although released in 2000, The Last Broadcast actually preceded The Blair Witch Project by a year, produced in 1998. It was just one of those unfortunate timing things. The same way that everyone called Twin Town "The Welsh Trainspotting". I liked it though. Also SPOILERS
"Poor man's version" doesn't mean rip-off, surely?

As they don't get talked about enough, I'll offer up the movies of Christopher Smith - "Creep", "Severance", "Triangle" and "Black Death". Fantastic, one and all.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Johnny Textface on October 24, 2019, 06:29:39 PM
Society (1989). Great scene where Michael J Fox punches up someones arsehole until their skull falls off.

I'm not sure if you're joking about Michael J Fox (it's Billy Warlock), but the thought of Michael J Fox in Society made me laugh.

Big Mclargehuge

Here's my suggestions :)

The WNUF Halloween Special - 2013 (Low budget Indie horror in the vein of "Ghostwatch")
Trick r Treat - 2007 (Indie Darling and probably the best "Modern" horror I've ever seen)
Sleepaway Camp (Nightmare Vacation) - 1983 (Utterly camp and a good representation of the slasher genre)
Inferno - 1980 (The Most unsettling Dario Argento movie I've ever seen and an indirect sequel to "Suspiria")
House (Hasu) - 1977 (Fucking nuts. absolutely undiluted terrifying madness)
Theatre of Blood - 1973 (My favourite Vincent Price film and arguably one of my favourite 70's horror movies)
The Last Man on Earth - 1964 (Very Underrated Price movie...recently saw the bluray and it's terrifically spooky/depressing)

(And one for the Kids) Witches Night out - 1978 (A load of good spooky innocent fun)

Pink Gregory

I quite liked Ghost Stories.

Being adapted from a play it's stagey as all hell and it's fairly standard in some of the scares, but it gets quite upsetting in the final third.  Very british in its presentation.

Brundle-Fly

DukeDeMondo

Two that I watched fairly recently that absolutely brought me out in heebie jeebies from the tops of my ears to the soles of my feet.

A Dark Song, about a woman enlisting the help of this sort of backwoods magus sort of fellow to help her perform a prolonged and increasingly intense ritual geared towards summoning an angel. Slow burn sort of a deal with things becoming ever more fraught as the ritual progresses, culminating in some of the most bizarre and discomforting imagery I've seen in a horror film any time recently. It's not easily forgotten.

Hagazussa, sometimes called Hagazussa: A Heathen's Curse, which is another slow burn, this one all about a witch's curse that may or may not have been passed down from mother to daughter when the daughter was but wee. It's absolutely fucking beautiful and beguiling and incredibly unsettling when the notion takes it. Redolent of Viy or things like this at times, or The Witch, but on the whole it doesn't feel all that much like either. Very much its own thing, and easily one of the best films I've seen this year, although it's not a (2019), it's a (2017) regardless of what anyone tries to tell you. 

madhair60

Gonna look into both of those, they sound fit. Cheers

Puce Moment

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on October 25, 2019, 01:49:40 PM
Hagazussa, sometimes called Hagazussa: A Heathen's Curse, which is another slow burn, this one all about a witch's curse that may or may not have been passed down from mother to daughter when the daughter was but wee. It's absolutely fucking beautiful and beguiling and incredibly unsettling when the notion takes it. Redolent of Viy or things like this at times, or The Witch, but on the whole it doesn't feel all that much like either. Very much its own thing, and easily one of the best films I've seen this year, although it's not a (2019), it's a (2017) regardless of what anyone tries to tell you.

Come on you fuckers - seed this 12gb beast pls.

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on October 25, 2019, 01:49:40 PM
A Dark Song, about a woman enlisting the help of this sort of backwoods magus sort of fellow to help her perform a prolonged and increasingly intense ritual geared towards summoning an angel. Slow burn sort of a deal with things becoming ever more fraught as the ritual progresses, culminating in some of the most bizarre and discomforting imagery I've seen in a horror film any time recently. It's not easily forgotten.

Great shout. The performances by Catherine Walker and Steve Oram are brilliant. As well as being slow-burn scary, I love the sadness that coats the entire thing.

Noodle Lizard

I've already talked about A Dark Song somewhere here, it really is very good. It's equally effective as a horror, drama and even a sort of weird comedy - some stretches of it feel more like a moodier Withnail & I than anything you'd usually expect from a horror. Incredible performances from the two of them as well.

Johnny Textface

Probably deserves it's own thread but "One Cut of the Dead" anyone ?

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Johnny Textface on October 25, 2019, 09:40:09 PM
Probably deserves it's own thread but "One Cut of the Dead" anyone ?

That one actually did get its own thread. Here it is.

Quote from: Puce Moment on October 25, 2019, 05:25:01 PM
Come on you fuckers - seed this 12gb beast pls.

I just had a look on the High Seas and there's plenty of seeders there at the minute.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 25, 2019, 08:51:50 PM
It's equally effective as a horror, drama and even a sort of weird comedy - some stretches of it feel more like a moodier Withnail & I than anything you'd usually expect from a horror.

That's a great description, and spot on. It was you that recommended it to me, actually, if memory serves. I had it sitting about but I didn't watch it till you got to singing its wyrd old praises. Some of those shots near the end are as startling as anything I've ever seen.

The Giggling Bean

I'd recommend...

Two Evil Eyes by George Romero and Dario Argento

The Autopsy of Jane Doe

After Midnight (hard to find but is available on R1 Blu Ray from Scream Factory).

Faust by Jan Svaenkmajer. If you liked Little Otik, you should like this.

There's probably loads more I could recommend but, since my taste is from the 80s, most of the ones I'm thinking of are probably well known.

YEs its true; A Dark Song really stayed with me an Steve Oram is mesmerizing... I love the unbearable tension that builds up throughout the whole thing, making you beg the question "is all this suffering and chaos for nothing? IS it just one big farce???!?!?!"

I think British Channel Foury horrors have a great creepy coziness to them, perfect for Halloween...my suggestions would be the aforementioned A Dark Song,

Possum- Matt Holness-directed story about a creep with a questionable past and his strained relationship with a genuinely scary puppetoid thing he's trying to get rid of. I'm pretty dead inside and don't seem to get scared by films but there were a few scenes in this which really unnerved me and made me squirm like a little bitch in my seat.

In Fabric- Not scary per se but has a consistent thick darkness to it which again is very halloweenish and ghoulish, as well as a few laugh out loud bits...falls short in the second half for me but doesn't have much overall detriment to what is a very affecting little film.

purlieu

Quote from: Misspent Boners on October 27, 2019, 03:57:01 PM
Possum- Matt Holness-directed story about a creep with a questionable past and his strained relationship with a genuinely scary puppetoid thing he's trying to get rid of. I'm pretty dead inside and don't seem to get scared by films but there were a few scenes in this which really unnerved me and made me squirm like a little bitch in my seat.
I'd managed to shift this right to the back of my mind, so thanks for reminding me of it again. Now I'm going to sleep with the lights on again. One of the most hideously hideous films I've ever seen. Incredible stuff.

Will have to check out this Dark Song lark.