Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:14:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Quote from: Junglist on August 16, 2021, 03:18:16 PM
Come True

Some astonishing visual work mixed with strong performances and that wonderful uneasy, weird vibe from the best horror.

Unfortunately it absolutely shits a hole in the bed and right through the floor in the last ten minutes with probably the worst ending to a horror film I've seen in a long, long time.

Massive shame as it was shaping up to be something fantastic.

Fuckinell. You weren't joking were you? That was a schoolboy I'm running out of time to get this final draft in ending.

zomgmouse

Brundle-Fly

The Intruder (2019)

More a psychological thriller in the vein of those "you don't know who you can trust these days" movies ie: Single White Female, Fatal Attraction, Pacific Heights, The Stepfather, One Hour Photo, Lakeview Terrace, etc. It's fairly bog-standard story telling but I found it very watchable with a believable cast. Dennis Quaid's nervy performance is top-notch. God, he's good in this.

Dex Sawash

Should probably see Flight of the Intruder (1991) first

shagatha crustie

Saw Censor in the cinema the other night, liked it. Agree with those who have said the short runtime and tight plotting were strengths. A more explicit link between the social commentary about Thatcherism/moral panics and the central trauma would have been nice - for the most part it made good on its promise of those themes, but feel like it would have made much more sense overall if the sister's death had been down to social spending cuts or whatever.

Also the one major scare really got me, which was a nice surprise.

mjwilson

Quote from: shagatha crustie on August 23, 2021, 01:53:56 PM
Saw Censor in the cinema the other night, liked it. Agree with those who have said the short runtime and tight plotting were strengths. A more explicit link between the social commentary about Thatcherism/moral panics and the central trauma would have been nice - for the most part it made good on its promise of those themes, but feel like it would have made much more sense overall if the sister's death had been down to social spending cuts or whatever.

I don't know how you could do that without demolishing the other strengths of the film though.

zomgmouse

Mosquito State - Wall Street analyst gets bitten by a mosquito, a story of two bloodsuckers. Neat premise, decent enough execution, nice body effects, very visceral bugs. Very laboured pace (not necessarily a bad thing if you have the patience for it but if not I can see how this would get on your nerves). Not amazing by any stretch but I liked it. Also maybe not a straight-up horror but it was released on Shudder so I guess that counts.

Rev+

Not going to link to the video, but there's this prick called 'thequartering' who has demolished the new Candyman film for being 'woke'.  He's clearly not actually seen the film yet, but has detected that it addresses gentrification of urban areas and racism, and nobody wants to have those issues addressed when they just want to relax and watch a movie.  The original Candyman being nothing like that, of course.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Rev+ on August 29, 2021, 03:20:02 AM
Not going to link to the video, but there's this prick called 'thequartering' who has demolished the new Candyman film for being 'woke'.  He's clearly not actually seen the film yet, but has detected that it addresses gentrification of urban areas and racism, and nobody wants to have those issues addressed when they just want to relax and watch a movie.  The original Candyman being nothing like that, of course.

Amazing. Heard someone found a similar thing on Twitter just earlier. Just amazing.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Rev+ on August 29, 2021, 03:20:02 AM

I accidentally clicked a "thequartering" video once and now I'm forever having his videos suggested by the algorithm and it's always some headline like "(insert bigot) STANDS UP TO WOKE BARBARIANS". That particular criticism Candyman is quite hilarious, though. Like when people complain we should have movies that avoid political themes, like the original Star Wars.

Deliciousbass

Censor-kinda loved this. just shy of being great and i'd really struggle to say what could improve it. loved the anti-nostalgia 80's aesthetic and the video nasty theme. loved how miserable yet nightmarish the office was without relying on cliche. reminded me of st maud in a lot of ways - similar themes and, though both are well worth watching, i also thought st maud was just shy of great (and would also struggle to say what would improve it). really excited to see what both filmmakers do next.

scary of 61st - went in wanting a hardcore epstein exploitation film, instead got a watery hipster dipshit film - dasha has confused whining with acting and the brown haired girl has confused acting with being brain-damaged. a total lack of commitment from performer and film maker alike.   Thought it was shit.

paddy72

Quote from: Deliciousbass on August 30, 2021, 05:12:37 AM
Censor-kinda loved this. just shy of being great and i'd really struggle to say what could improve it. loved the anti-nostalgia 80's aesthetic and the video nasty theme. loved how miserable yet nightmarish the office was without relying on cliche. reminded me of st maud in a lot of ways - similar themes and, though both are well worth watching, i also thought st maud was just shy of great (and would also struggle to say what would improve it). really excited to see what both filmmakers do next.

I'm also very keen see what both of them do next.
Spoiler alert
The ending of Censor – i.e. the serenity in her mind, against the jump cuts of the actual horror taking place – did remind me of St Maud. Though I think that's used to better/more startling effect in the final frames of St Maud, which I though was properly great. Agree that Censor was just shy of being great.
[close]

Both are among the best horror movies I've seen this year.

Emma Raducanu

Saw Coherence and really enjoyed it. Something a bit different isn't it!

Brundle-Fly

Hugely enjoyed this trashy, low-budget splatter movie last week. Very tongue-in-cheek, blood-soaked, pissed up, big dumb old romp from the Fangoria people. The cast look like they having so much fun chewing up the scenery with aplomb. Once again, another homage to eighties horror video nasties with some great street punk gang action. It's amusing seeing cuddly George Wendt from Cheers cropping up in these gory horrors, he was in Bliss (2019) too recently.

Quote from: Deliciousbass on August 30, 2021, 05:12:37 AM

Although I definitely preferred Saint Maud, I really enjoyed Censor.  I loved the scuzzy "smoking in the office" 1980's atmosphere.  And, like A Field In England, any film that has both Michael Smiley and Blanck Mass's "Chernobyl" in it is a winner in my eyes.

Custard

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 31, 2021, 05:17:03 PM

Hugely enjoyed this trashy, low-budget splatter movie last week. Very tongue-in-cheek, blood-soaked, pissed up, big dumb old romp from the Fangoria people. The cast look like they having so much fun chewing up the scenery with aplomb. Once again, another homage to eighties horror video nasties with some great street punk gang action. It's amusing seeing cuddly George Wendt from Cheers cropping up in these gory horrors, he was in Bliss (2019) too recently.

Ha, yeah I enjoyed that too. Daft, schlocky fun, with a surprisingly great cast

phantom_power

I noticed yesterday that Amazon Prime have all three versions of Dawn of the Dead to stream, the original, Argento and extended cuts

greenman

Quote from: phantom_power on September 03, 2021, 08:45:04 AM
I noticed yesterday that Amazon Prime have all three versions of Dawn of the Dead to stream, the original, Argento and extended cuts

Thats probably from the recent Second Sight UHD release which is by far the best its ever looked.

Custard

We Summon the Darkness (2019)

"Three best friends embark on a road trip to a heavy-metal show, where they bond with three aspiring musicians and head off to one of the girls' country home for an after-party".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8058874

Despite a very slow start (nothing much happens in the first 30 minutes of the 90), I ended up quite enjoying this. It certainly went in a direction I wasn't expecting

Some quite funny bits, and the cast clearly enjoyed making it. Johnny Knoxville even turns up at one point

Daft bit of fun

3 bags

SteveDave

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 06, 2021, 11:07:57 PM
We Summon the Darkness (2019)

"Three best friends embark on a road trip to a heavy-metal show, where they bond with three aspiring musicians and head off to one of the girls' country home for an after-party".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8058874

Despite a very slow start (nothing much happens in the first 30 minutes of the 90), I ended up quite enjoying this. It certainly went in a direction I wasn't expecting

Some quite funny bits, and the cast clearly enjoyed making it. Johnny Knoxville even turns up at one point

Daft bit of fun

3 bags

If you're going to watch this, don't watch the trailer as it pretty much gives EVERYTHING away.

Brundle-Fly

Not wanting to derail here but don't think it's worthy of starting a new thread or bumping the four-year-old two-post one.

Is anybody else getting grief with Shudder? I haven't been able to get into my account for the past few weeks. They said my card wasn't working. It's true my bank unesxpectedly gave me a new one so when I finally went to rejoin this week, they're still charging me for the weeks of non-access AND are asking for three times what I actually owe them.  Other times, I haven't been able to watch stuff at all because of buffering issues too. After reading online tonight how they've fucked off so many other customers I'm thinking of giving them the cold shoulder if you'll pardon my shit pun.

The helpline is just the usual bot.

edit. Actually, sod it. I've cancelled. There's enough horror to be found out there without this for now.

As you were, freaks.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 10, 2021, 12:21:41 AM
Not wanting to derail here but don't think it's worthy of starting a new thread or bumping the four-year-old two-post one.

Is anybody else getting grief with Shudder? I haven't been able to get into my account for the past few weeks. They said my card wasn't working. It's true my bank unesxpectedly gave me a new one so when I finally went to rejoin this week, they're still charging me for the weeks of non-access AND are asking for three times what I actually owe them.  Other times, I haven't been able to watch stuff at all because of buffering issues too. After reading online tonight how they've fucked off so many other customers I'm thinking of giving them the cold shoulder if you'll pardon my shit pun.

The helpline is just the usual bot.

Brundle-Fly, the helpline is coming from inside the house.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on September 10, 2021, 08:38:16 PM
Brundle-Fly, the helpline is coming from inside the house.

They're heeeere.

TrenterPercenter

Censor was very meh considering the rave reviews; however it was practically Oscar worthy compared to The Pale Door complete shite, just really, really bad in nearly every way and I'm someone that will sit through most terrible horror films.  I actually turned it off 5 or so minutes from the end because it was actively annoying me despite it largely being in the background after I lost interest and went on CaB about halfway through.

purlieu

Creep. The 2004 London Underground one. Lot of fun, this, nice claustrophobic tension and some lovely wtf moments. Relied heavily on cliches, but did what it did well. The ending added a subtle satirical touch which I enjoyed.

purlieu

The Night Eats the World. An enjoyably different take on the zombie apocalypse genre, particularly in how slow and dialogue-free it was. Low on actual horror, but a very enjoyable film and worth a watch.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: purlieu on September 19, 2021, 11:03:08 PM
Creep. The 2004 London Underground one. Lot of fun, this, nice claustrophobic tension and some lovely wtf moments. Relied heavily on cliches, but did what it did well. The ending added a subtle satirical touch which I enjoyed.

I enjoyed that back when it was released. It was a semi-remake of Death Line (aka Raw Meat). Remember being blown away watching the DVD extras and finding out that the eponymous Creep was played by Sean Harris, who had recently starred as Ian Curtis in 24HourPartyPeople. It never occured to me that the creep was played by a proper actor - Thought they'd just got some stunt guy to do the job.

Also remember watching an interview with Franka "Lola out of Run Lola Run" Potente and she was bigging up her character, describing the role as being interesting and complex and I rolled my eyes and was like "You're a woman being chased by a monster in a horror film - You're not Meryl bloody Streep".

A shame Christopher Smith's career didn't take off like it should have. He was on a nice little roll with those first four features - Creep, Severance, Triangle and Black Death are all solid and effective horror films. 

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 21, 2021, 12:40:25 AM

A shame Christopher Smith's career didn't take off like it should have. He was on a nice little roll with those first four features - Creep, Severance, Triangle and Black Death are all solid and effective horror films.

Yeah, all four of those are great. It's such a shame - I watched The Banishing the other night, and although it's got some of Smith's repertory cast doing their best - Sean Harris, John Lynch - it was just dire. Cliched, sub-Blumhouse guff.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: Small Potatoes on September 21, 2021, 10:47:36 AM
Yeah, all four of those are great. It's such a shame - I watched The Banishing the other night, and although it's got some of Smith's repertory cast doing their best - Sean Harris, John Lynch - it was just dire. Cliched, sub-Blumhouse guff.

Detour wasn't much cop either.