Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:57:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Yet to see Black Death, but the others are very memorable and effective (Triangle especially), I wonder what changed.

zomgmouse

I thought Detour was awful but The Banishing was alright. For a second confused it with The Reckoning but that was Neil Marshall and really really bad

Jerzy Bondov

I like The Banishing. Shits all over The Conjuring.

Watched The Killing of A Sacred Deer tonight.
It was really good fun :D Creepy and detached and funny and gorgeously shot with some exaggeratedly wide angle lenses like it's parodying Kubrick at times. Loved it!

TrenterPercenter

Not a film but probably worth putting in here Brand New Cherry Flavour is worth checking out for horror fans.  It's great.

The Boy Behind The Door was aaawful!
I went on rottentomatoes expecting it to be like 20% or something and getting a right royal mauling. What the actual fuck? 97%? - https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_boy_behind_the_door

It was cheap, painting by numbers crap.
We're expected to believe that everyone in the film is an idiot. There are way too many eye rolling moments, and the shining references? Really?
It just felt so half arsed and pretty bad taste considering the subject matter.

Critics are weird with horror movies. They always rave about the god awful ones and shit on the best.

Fucking horseshit.

SteveDave

Candyman (2021)

This ain't your daddy's Candyman. Except it is. To be fair, after watching "Malignant" and "Old" my expectations for this were lower than my self-esteem but, even though it wasn't scary in any way, it was enjoyable and did create a bit more backstory for the Candyman myth (that might've been explored in the sequels that I've not seen)

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 26, 2021, 09:34:07 PM
Not a film but probably worth putting in here Brand New Cherry Flavour is worth checking out for horror fans.  It's great.
Yep. On episode 7. After not thinking much of the 1st episode, it's been great. Really good fun. Doesn't take itself seriously.

Motel Hell was doggyplops, but it had a certain charm. I was really tired so I just wanted something brainless and I figured that'd fit the bill.
They cut peoples vocal cords out though, and that hissy burbling sound they made when they tried to talk, that'll fucking stay with me. Horrible!

zomgmouse

October is Horror Month so I'll be trying to watch as many horror films as I can.

Today:

The White Reindeer. Finnish folk horror of a woman who turns into a were-reindeer. Beautiful to look (esp. the landscape) at with some particularly menacing and haunting sequences. Gem.

Zeder. Giallo by Pupi Avati, director of the extraordinary The House with Laughing Windows. Truly unnerving atmosphere, full of creepy men who aren't who they say they are and murders and unfurling mystery and supernatural goings-on. Liked this a lot.

Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Monster. This was very bad - though I was expecting worse. Sure does what it says on the tin. William Beaudine has over 400 director credits (over feature, short and TV episodes) from 1915 to 1968 and this was his final theatrical release, as a double bill alongside Billy the Kid vs Dracula - both films were shot over 8 days.

Son. Latest from Ivan Kavanagh. The Western he did just before this was pretty mediocre so I was glad to see a return to form with this. A woman whose son gets mysteriously ill is forced to reckon with some freaky involvement from her past (it's a
Spoiler alert
cult
[close]
) (
Spoiler alert
or is it
[close]
). Good tension and scares throughout - unsure I'm completely convinced by the ending though.

Dusty Substance

Any recommendations for good effective horror shorts? Anything from two minutes to, say, 20 minutes?

I recently watched this super creepy little short film called My House Walk-Through - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E Had to watch it twice to get the full effect but, fuck me, I didn't sleep easy that night.

purlieu

Was going to recommend the wonderful AM1200, but apparently it's 40 minutes, so that doesn't fit the criteria. But I've managed to recommend it now anyway.

purlieu

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 02, 2021, 03:39:34 PM
I recently watched this super creepy little short film called My House Walk-Through - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E Had to watch it twice to get the full effect but, fuck me, I didn't sleep easy that night.
Fuck me, that was the longest 12 minutes of my life. I actually think it would have been just as effective without
Spoiler alert
the brief appearances of the grandparents as the repetition in itself was absolutely mortifying, but then the words 'grandma is here' literally made all my hairs stand on end
[close]
. But yeah, that was right up my street. Fantastic.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: purlieu on October 02, 2021, 09:57:22 PM
Fuck me, that was the longest 12 minutes of my life. I actually think it would have been just as effective without
Spoiler alert
the brief appearances of the grandparents as the repetition in itself was absolutely mortifying, but then the words 'grandma is here' literally made all my hairs stand on end
[close]
. But yeah, that was right up my street. Fantastic.

Glad you liked it! After 30+ years of watching horror films it really does take a lot to scare me these days but it really did the trick. I watched it in the dark, under the bed covers, on my laptop which really felt the best way to watch it. Just reading
Spoiler alert
the words 'grandma is here'
[close]
also sent a shiver down my spine.

This is in an interesting piece on it: https://theghostinmymachine.com/2019/12/09/the-weird-part-of-youtube-decoding-the-ghost-story-of-piropito-my-house-walk-through-nana825763-typhoon-japan-isewan-vera-1959-username-666/

Thank you for the recommendation of  AM1200, I will be sure to check it out.

Any recommendations for good effective horror shorts? Anything from two minutes to, say, 20 minutes?

This is a good one, with a subtle but powerful kick in the last minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFc4e1Qo0BE

Jerzy Bondov

Fuck me that had my heart pounding. Horrible.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on October 03, 2021, 04:11:51 PM
This is a good one, with a subtle but powerful kick in the last minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFc4e1Qo0BE

Ah, I've seen Panic before but it's a very good recommendation. Will give it a rewatch in the lead up to Halloween.

holyzombiejesus

Saw No One Gets Out Alive last night. I enjoyed the book and author Adam Nevill adapted it for the film but it was pretty poor.
Spoiler alert
The film doesn't cover the 2nd half of the book and it just skirts over a lot of the claustrophobic horror in the house.
[close]
A shame.

I watched that the other night too!
Yeah, it's totally different from the book, they changed a lot and left out the best bits, but I still enjoyed it for what it was.
Like you say, it could have been a lot better.

zomgmouse

Quote from: purlieu on October 02, 2021, 09:18:07 PM
Was going to recommend the wonderful AM1200, but apparently it's 40 minutes, so that doesn't fit the criteria. But I've managed to recommend it now anyway.

Ah yeah - watched that before watching The Empty Man. It was pretty good!

zomgmouse

Watched Creep on the weekend (the 2014 American one, not the 2004 British one), which was a rather effective low-budget minimalist horror, good use of jump scares.

Also:

Nightmare Detective. Seemingly much maligned effort from Shinya Tsukamoto - I actually quite liked this, a dark, drab, surreal vision. A detective investigates a spate of mysterious apparent suicides with a link to someone they all called on their phone. Intriguing as a setup - but I guess it does falter a little after the first act or so, not all the links are fully explored. Definitely not his best of the handful I've seen (and definitely no Cure which I've seen this compared unfavourably towards). But there's a handful of great images and the overall tone works well.

Martyrs. Finally getting around to this New French Extremity Horror. I heard it was brutal but fucking hell. Not to say that's a bad thing. It is as a result brutally effective. Found the unveilings incredibly surprising.

Who Can Kill a Child?. Spanish horror in which two English tourists arrive at a remote island overrun with eerily malicious children. Pretty wonderful premise and underlying allegory and the children are all very menacing without resorting to Village of the Damned type characterisation.

The Seventh Day (2021). Second film by Justin P. Lange, who made The Dark, which was a decent first effort. This is an exorcism horror starring Guy Pearce - you've heard of buddy cops, now get ready for buddy exorcists. Exorcist Training Day. Really negative reviews for this one but I thought it was more or less fine - although very much falls down at the climax.

Quote from: zomgmouse on October 04, 2021, 07:29:29 AMMartyrs. Finally getting around to this New French Extremity Horror. I heard it was brutal but fucking hell. Not to say that's a bad thing. It is as a result brutally effective. Found the unveilings incredibly surprising.

It's fantastic! Have you seen Inside? - https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inside_2007
They make a nice uplifting french nasty double bill.

I really liked ghostland/Incidents in a Ghostland from the martyrs director, but a lot of people hated it. - https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/incident_in_a_ghost_land_2018

You have to buy into the idea that it's a knowing satire on trashy modern horror films, exaggerating a lot of their more problematic tropes to such ludicrous degrees that the viewer has to confront them, which I am more than willing to buy was all in my head :D

The line "It looks like Rob Zombie's house!" I think is the wink to the audience that most reviewers missed.
First hour is a bit boring, but it goes nicely batshit and has a lovely twisted fairytale vibe.

neveragain

I wanted to like Creep but the central performance really grated on me, and I didn't find the storytelling very... well, good, really. But that's to be expected from the Duplass brothers - Room 104 is occasionally great (or thereabouts) but mainly naff.

Yeah, it's overrated. It's alright. Not really into found footage stuff, but it was better than most.

Quote from: zomgmouse on October 01, 2021, 07:50:26 AMSon. Latest from Ivan Kavanagh. The Western he did just before this was pretty mediocre so I was glad to see a return to form with this. A woman whose son gets mysteriously ill is forced to reckon with some freaky involvement from her past (it's a
Spoiler alert
cult
[close]
) (
Spoiler alert
or is it
[close]
). Good tension and scares throughout - unsure I'm completely convinced by the ending though.

Ooh, this was a good call. Very good, proper classy. Really well made. Thanks, zomgmouse. I really enjoyed that!
Spoiler alert
I'm guessing they didn't have time to recast the junkie. Blimey!
[close]

Small Man Big Horse

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969) - Baron Frankenstein (Peter Cushing) is back in town after five years away, though this time he's more interested in brain transplants than lots of cutting and sawing body parts in general. Cushing makes for a believably monstrous lead though I think the film makes him far too unsympathetic
Spoiler alert
by including a rape scene, there's too much filler before your brain transplant man is finally up and about, and then the ending is rushed
[close]
, and it's a real shame that the pacing is so uneven as there are moments which work extremely effectively. 6.0/10

zomgmouse

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on October 04, 2021, 11:20:04 AM
It's fantastic! Have you seen Inside? - https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inside_2007
They make a nice uplifting french nasty double bill.

I have! Liked that a lot as well

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on October 04, 2021, 06:32:34 PM
Ooh, this was a good call. Very good, proper classy. Really well made. Thanks, zomgmouse. I really enjoyed that!
Spoiler alert
I'm guessing they didn't have time to recast the junkie. Blimey!
[close]

Glad you liked it! I can't quite make my mind up about it - I think I do like it more in retrospect

zomgmouse

Dead of Night. Another classic finally catching up with. Sat there for most of it thinking "oh yes jolly good somewhat old-fashioned chilling", then the Redgrave dummy segment happened which was genuinely creepy and then that ending blew me away. Definitely frames the whole experience in a different light. Though I'm not sure it all amounts to quite as much as it could.

Alice, Sweet Alice. Creepy giallo-y murder mystery with a young bratty girl pinned for murders and stabbings done in a yellow jacket and mask. Keeps the intrigue going until the
Spoiler alert
third act reveal
[close]
after which it becomes a little less effective I think, but still worthwhile overall.

The Cat O'Nine Tails. Had to throw an Argento in there. This one's a little dry by his standards. The scenes with blind Karl Malden and his niece are quite charismatic, some of the killings are well done (especially the last one) and there's a handful of great moments (e.g. car chase) and stylistic touches. I guess it picks up a little as it goes along, but much of the narrative element sort of plods along.

Sound of Violence (aka Conductor) (2021). A deaf girl starts hearing after a violent incident involving her family - but she really begins hearing - properly absorbing sounds and then when she's an adult becoming a virtuoso musician/composer. Except that sensation of sound only properly gets going when she experiences violence. Just about gets by on this inventive premise and all the ideas behind it (the best parts are the sound/violence scenes), but the execution very much leaves something to be desired (acting etc), particularly when it gets to the police investigation portions.

The director's earlier short that inspired this feature, "Conductor", can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8FNpBgaVBw
It's a decent short, excellent
Spoiler alert
reveal
[close]
, though again kind of has a naffness about it.

Custard

Apparently You're Next is already ten years old

How it revolutionised horror. Well, no, not at all. But it was still a fairly decent horror, and the fact that it came out a decade ago actually made me wince.

Time flies when you're an old cunt

zomgmouse

jeezabel creezabel i remember seeing that at a film festival here. fucking heezabel