Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:59:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenzilHolles

Where did you see that? Sounds interesting but can't seem to find it anywhere. Ta.

Quote from: Junglist on October 17, 2021, 02:38:29 PM
History of the Occult

Low budget Argentinian film about the last episode of an investigative television show and how it could reveal the biggest conspiracy known to man - linking the government to an actual covern.

Really well told, intriguing. Been hearing about it for a while and it definitely lives up to its hype

Junglist

Quote from: DenzilHolles on October 17, 2021, 07:43:02 PM
Where did you see that? Sounds interesting but can't seem to find it anywhere. Ta.

Real-Debrid, best streaming service money can buy.

Failing that, Historia.De.Lo.Oculto.2020.1080p.NF.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.x264-DODEN.mkv is the release name.

Junglist

Or PM me.

I really recommend Real-Debrid though if you have a spare 30 quid.

Moribunderast

I enjoyed V/H/S 94. The second segment and the connecting bits were shit but everything else was quite enjoyable, especially the mental third segment.

zomgmouse

Tourist Trap. Independent horror from 1979 is not without its cheesiness but it maintains a decent tension throughout and most importantly has some stupendous mannequin action.

The Brain That Wouldn't Die. Fairly plodding B-movie with an ok start but spends the entire film with a surgeon chasing a body for his wife's head while the wife's head plots revenge. The whole time.

Ginger Snaps. Time to get to this classic. It's heaps of fun. Loved this a lot. Doesn't quite maintain momentum throughout but it's really cool and fresh.

The Hearse. A woman moves to a small town where her aunt died and the house might be haunted and the locals are unwelcoming and there's a creepy hearse. It starts off a bit shaky but the supernatural elements prove to be somewhat effective.

Tony (the 2009 British one). Brilliant chilling character work, hugely penetrating dank gloomy ambience. Terrific work.

Attila

Quote from: zomgmouse on October 18, 2021, 06:34:02 AM

The Brain That Wouldn't Die. Fairly plodding B-movie with an ok start but spends the entire film with a surgeon chasing a body for his wife's head while the wife's head plots revenge. The whole time.

The MST3k version of this film is one of my favourite episodes.

Quote from: zomgmouse on October 18, 2021, 06:34:02 AMTony

Tony is excellent! Feels more like a gentle dark comedy about alienation and the murders are just a footnote. You can smell the grime!
Nice and relaxing pace. Affectionate and sympathetic. Not "light-hearted", but good hearted. You felt sorry for the guy for the most part rather than repulsed. The murders were all underplayed and it was just routine for him like he could have been making cups of tea instead.

Yeah, I remember ginger snaps being a lot of fun too!

zomgmouse

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on October 18, 2021, 01:10:42 PM
Tony is excellent! Feels more like a gentle dark comedy about alienation and the murders are just a footnote. You can smell the grime!
Nice and relaxing pace. Affectionate and sympathetic. Not "light-hearted", but good hearted. You felt sorry for the guy for the most part rather than repulsed. The murders were all underplayed and it was just routine for him like he could have been making cups of tea instead.

Yeah, I remember ginger snaps being a lot of fun too!

agreed on both counts - I absolutely felt for Tony and then had to remember he did murders

zomgmouse

Boris Karloff 1958 19thC UK Robert Day double:

The Haunted Strangler. Here he plays a private investigator going back on a twenty-year-old serial strangling case and being possessed by the ghost of the strangler... or is it a ghost at all...

Corridors of Blood. Here he is a surgeon who invents an anaesthetic and gets addicted to it, while getting caught up with some less than savoury types. Less than a horror and more of a medical thriller I think.

Both of the above have a very wonderful theatrical horror feel to them, rather enjoyable.

Then:

Don't Deliver Us from Evil. French film loosely based on the Parker-Hulme murders (i.e. the Heavenly Creatures murders), this tells of two girls in a convent who participate in increasingly sexual and violent encounters. Again would say the horror elements in this are secondary to the mood and drama and psychological state but it's very very good.

And another French(-language) one, Amer. Having seen The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears I was interested to see this other Cattet-Forzani giallo-inspired horror, which is quite impressionistic overall, it's mesmerising no doubt but I do admit to being a little unreceptive to the style this time round.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on October 18, 2021, 01:10:42 PM

Directed by the brother of Matt Johnson hence the The The soundtrack. #trivia

TrenterPercenter

I think a few people might be pleasantly surprised with Blood Vessel on Shudder in that it is not completely terrible.  It's not great and it is exactly what you would expect from "nazi vampire as on a boat", and, with all the most typical characters you can get in the selection of marks arranged to be eaten.  Still the vamps are suitably evil and nasty.  Not scary at all but fun and definitely watchable.

2.5/5

Junglist

zomgmouse

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on October 19, 2021, 08:14:36 AM
Directed by the brother of Matt Johnson hence the The The soundtrack. #trivia

oh yeah i was wondering whether that was a coincidence or not. cool stuff

Junglist

Quote from: Junglist on October 19, 2021, 09:06:41 AM
That's Titane 'out'

And it is a wonderful, incredible thing. Ducournau is fast becoming my favourite filmmaker.

However bar the first 30 I wouldn't label this horror, regardless of the situation the film leads into.

SteveDave

Fuck me

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Chainsaw_Massacre_(2022_film)

When will this end? Remaking/reboot franchises that should have been one and done.

Keebleman

There's more discussion of The Night House on this thread than there is on the one I created for it.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,89564.0.html

I think we should also have genre-specific threads for super hero films, gangster films, westerns, musicals, comedies and for movies with big bare boobies in.

phantom_power

Quote from: SteveDave on October 21, 2021, 11:53:28 PM
Fuck me

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Chainsaw_Massacre_(2022_film)

When will this end? Remaking/reboot franchises that should have been one and done.

It is a direct sequel to the original, despite having the same name. It also has Sally as a character which is a bold move

Noodle Lizard

They should've followed the reboot titling trend and simply called it Texas.

Idiots.

AsparagusTrevor

I'm guessing the sequel will be called Texas Chainsaw Massacre Kills

zomgmouse

1920s silent double:

Tod Browning's The Unknown. Lon Chaney sensational as the lead, had no idea Joan Crawford was in this but pretty incredible to see her in something so young, wonderful setup and execution, the atmosphere is so overbearing. I think as it goes on the plot becomes a little far-fetched but it is so fantastically melodramatic.

Jean Epstein's The Fall of the House of Usher. Never seen a Jean Epstein before so this was a revelation. Exquisitely shot and put together. Really beautiful and haunting, so expressive. ATTENTION TO CHEDNEY HONKS if you liked Vampyr watch this please. You can see it here https://www.cinematheque.fr/henri/film/48361-la-chute-de-la-maison-usher-jean-epstein-1928/

Also:

Discopath. Canadian disco-themed horror set in the 70s in which a young man turns into a mad murderer when he listens to disco (of course spurred on by a traumatic childhood moment). Deliberately dumb but it's entertaining and decently-perioded unlike a lot of these throwbacks. Although it loses some steam from about halfway.

A Dark Song. Irish/British summoning . For the most part a grim slow burn offset by the sheer energy of Steve Oram's chaotic presence. Might need to ponder a little on the ending but I enjoyed this.

Double Date. Jerzy Bondov watched this recently, this had been on my list for years, finally got round to it. A bit dragged out and not particularly substantial, but it's fun enough with some good comic moments.

Jerzy Bondov

Honestly this 'do a sequel to the first one but give it the same name as the first one' thing can fuck off now

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: zomgmouse on October 22, 2021, 09:48:13 AM
A Dark Song. Irish/British summoning . For the most part a grim slow burn offset by the sheer energy of Steve Oram's chaotic presence. Might need to ponder a little on the ending but I enjoyed this.
Love this film so much. Great atmosphere with a more than decent ending. Rare for a horror these days.

Yes, the ending was brilliant and genuinely surprising!

zomgmouse

Vampire Clay. Some genuinely cool and creepy and playful moments here - it's about vampire clay after all - but they get all but lost in the drawn-out storytelling that even at 1h20m feels like a slog.

SteveDave

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 22, 2021, 08:37:25 AM
They should've followed the reboot titling trend and simply called it Texas.

Idiots.

2 Texas 2 Massacre

Custard

Or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

phantom_power

Texas Chainsaw Massacres

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 22, 2021, 09:48:29 AM
Honestly this 'do a sequel to the first one but give it the same name as the first one' thing can fuck off now

At least 'Scream' (2021) is a sequel to all of the other sequels with the same name as the first one. Oh wait that's still shit

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 22, 2021, 07:58:34 PM
Or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The The Texas Chain Saw Massacre