Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:44:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Yep, very disturbing stuff!

Just wanna thank y'all for the recommendations for A Dark Song and The Hole In The Ground. Watched both yesterday, and both were excellent

magval

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 15, 2020, 11:46:29 AM
Feedback (2019)

"A radio star experiences the worst night of his life when stalkers assault the radio station where he's working".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7857374

This is a pwopa nasty little British horror/thriller, that has several jaw dropping moments. Eddie Marsan is great in this

This one streaming anywhere?

Puce Moment

Quote from: magval on April 16, 2020, 04:15:54 PMThis one streaming anywhere?

Not sure but I can confirm it is very available.

Custard

I bought it on Amazon Video a few months back, when it was 3.99. A lot of their videos are on sale atm, so it might be worth a look on there. It won't let me see the current price, and just says "You own this video" etc

Custard

It's currently 1.99 to own on Amazon Video!

Watched last year's go at Pet Sematary. Starts quite well, but quickly dies on it's arse. The ending, like the original, feels really rushed

C_Larence

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on April 14, 2020, 07:33:25 PM
I quite enjoyed The Turning, but the ending is indeed a stinker.

You weren't lying. I watched it last night and was extremely grateful I didn't pay money to see it. That ending is insulting to anyone who did.

Quote from: C_Larence on April 16, 2020, 08:41:18 PM
You weren't lying. I watched it last night and was extremely grateful I didn't pay money to see it. That ending is insulting to anyone who did.

Yeah. There's ambiguous and then there's... that.

Shame as I didn't think the rest of the film was anywhere near as bad as reviews have said. But I can imagine the damp fart ending caused a lot of the negativity.

holyzombiejesus

Currently watching The Ballad of Tam Lin, a Pentangle soundtracked folk-horror starring Ian McShane and Stephanie Beecham. So far it's a bit annoying but I'll keep watching. It's on YouTube

Edit: Switching it off now. Just saw Lovejoy's bum but it's got loads of that shit false laughing in it that groovy films akways have.

Thomas

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 16, 2020, 04:46:20 PM
Watched last year's go at Pet Sematary. Starts quite well, but quickly dies on it's arse. The ending, like the original, feels really rushed

I'd just read the novel before this came out, and I had enough misplaced optimism about the film that I spent cinema cash to see it. The novel is visceral and chilling, but the film is bog-standard Netflix fare with shiny blue colour grading. Looks like he's walking on the spot in front of My First Green Screen during the forest path scenes.

SteveDave

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on April 14, 2020, 04:34:08 PM
I didn't expect much from Haunt but I was very impressed with it - while not perfect, it's a level above yer average Halloween/haunted house/escape room-type film.  Gruesome in places and with effective (and quite disturbing) bad guys.

Watched this last night and it flew by. Some of the effects (especially the hammer in the mouth) were really good. The end was a bit Home Alone though.

Brundle-Fly

Watched In The Tall Grass (2019) on Netflix the other night and thought it was an effective spooky tale that will manage to prod any claustrophobic and agoraphobic neurosis you might have. It also has a plot device that I won't reveal but I know there are fans of this conceit on CaB as there was a whole thread about these type of films about four years ago.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: SteveDave on April 21, 2020, 08:38:08 AM
Watched this last night and it flew by. Some of the effects (especially the hammer in the mouth) were really good. The end was a bit Home Alone though.

If that's the scene I'm thinking of (with Evan), did it seem to you like there was something glaringly edited out. It went from
Spoiler alert
scary man asking if Evan wanted to see his face, cut to another scene, then cut back to see Evan on the ground halfway through being attacked.
[close]

Enjoyed it on the whole though.

magval

Watched Herzog's Nosferatu for the first time in about 20 years this afternoon. It's gorgeous, lovely music too. Love how Dracula never gets out of second gear in it.

Bloodsucking Freaks: The Incredible Torture Show (1976) - An old guy named Sardu who looks a bit like Derren Brown presents an incredible torture show and has revenge on a contemptuous theatre critic. You think it's going to be brutal early on but it settles down in to a light comedy horror with a fun ending. I liked the bit where Sardu's helper was frying eyeballs in a pan.

petercussing

Yeah, that's a nutty film. Also, Creasy Silo is one of the best character names ever.

THe dude who played Sardu was murdered by someone who broke into his flat not long after making this, fact fans.

rjd2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUSSUpTGhZw
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/vfw

Anyone see VFW?

Basically boomers defend there bar against some some incredibly violent mutants.

Its good fun and an obvious throwback to horror films of the past. I suppose if you want be critical, some might feel its does fall into "kids these days grrrrrrrrr" and the lead female is very wooden but 90 mins long and time flies. The boomers are all very good in there roles as it the main villain.

Quote from: petercussing on April 23, 2020, 01:00:17 PM
Yeah, that's a nutty film. Also, Creasy Silo is one of the best character names ever.

THe dude who played Sardu was murdered by someone who broke into his flat not long after making this, fact fans.

That's sad. He was a very fine Sardu.

Junglist

Possessors by Cronenberg Jr is lovely stuff.

Shaky

Quote from: Junglist on April 24, 2020, 06:45:20 PM
Possessors by Cronenberg Jr is lovely stuff.

Oooh, cheers. I assume it's available now, then? I'm not a huge gorehound but that sounds absolutely mental, from what I've heard.

greenman

Once Upon A Time In the West and indeed spaghetti westerns generally seem like something disconnected to the era of the westerns real dominance in Hollywood in the 40's and 50's.

Junglist

Quote from: Shaky on April 25, 2020, 07:40:56 AM
Oooh, cheers. I assume it's available now, then? I'm not a huge gorehound but that sounds absolutely mental, from what I've heard.

Yes it is :)

Hellraisers 1 through 3 were all on Horror last week. Having watched 1 before, and found it effective, I decided to go for 3 first.

Wow. It's very much a second sequel. Also, Terri, you're being spoken to by a statue, of course this is not legit.

But it is also very good fun.

Hellraiser 2

Well, that was a fun watch. Really like a fairy tale, except for the flayed bodies and Kenneth Cranham's tentacle hands

Sisters - the Brian de Palma film. Margot Kidder is very charismatic and I liked the split screens, music and Psycho/Rear Window vibe. It might have been more frightening if it had spent longer with the the two main characters from the start as the last hour is a bit like an episode of Monk.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 16, 2020, 08:49:50 AM
Yep, very disturbing stuff!

Just wanna thank y'all for the recommendations for A Dark Song and The Hole In The Ground. Watched both yesterday, and both were excellent

Loved Dark Song, so watched Hole In The Ground the other day.
I enjoyed it lots. Quite creepy in places. The kid was great, I thought, surprisingly.
Nice to see James Cosmo in it, too.

SteveDave

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 15, 2020, 09:52:02 AM
It's maybe more of a disturbing sci-fi, but Vivarium has just come out and is good stuff, and I'm still thinking about it a week later

"Vivarium (2020) - A young couple is thinking about buying their starter home. They visit a real estate agency where they are received by a strange sales agent, who accompanies them to a new, mysterious, peculiar housing development to show them a single-family home. There they get trapped in a surreal, maze-like nightmare".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8368406

I don't think it'll be for everyone, but I really enjoyed it. Creepy, disturbing, nightmarish. All the good things

I liked how in the end this film was about how cunty estate agents are and how much the new Martin looked like Stath from Stath Lets Flats.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on April 27, 2020, 09:59:05 AM
Loved Dark Song, so watched Hole In The Ground the other day.
I enjoyed it lots. Quite creepy in places. The kid was great, I thought, surprisingly.
Nice to see James Cosmo in it, too.

See, I properly hated Hole In The Ground (love A Dark Song, though, up with The Borderlands for best British horror of the past decade I'd say). I think there needs to be a temporary moratorium on "single mom/troubled kid" horror films - there's nowhere else to go with that premise, or at least no one's figured out what it might be yet.

---

I just watched The Turning. Horrifically crap. I'm a big fan of The Innocents, which itself was a modernization of the Henry James story whilst retaining (and, if anything, doubling down on) the basic thematic juice of the thing which binds it all together - sexual repression, patriarchal society/influence and all that came with the eras in which they were produced. By modernizing this further to the early 90s (because cassettes are cool?) and, rather than making it topical in any way, simply giving the protagonist a bog-standard "mad mum" trope as a backstory, it completely rids the character and the film itself of anything at all compelling, let alone relatable. It literally just becomes a story about some ghosts in a house and kids being creepy because of it.

Also, in this version, yer lady starts seeing blatant balls-out "I'm a fucking ghost!" ghosts screaming in her face through reflections, dreams and any other number of conduits right from the beginning. She experiences a haunting that Deborah Kerr comes across in the third act of The Innocents on her first night in the house. Just lazy and incompetent pacing - if we see ACTUAL FUCKING GHOSTS within the first twenty minutes, why would the audience be compelled to question anything else moving forward? (presumably what they were going for with the ending, which I won't even bother talking about)

The clue was in the title, really. "The Turning". The Turning of what?? Basically, "The Conjuring" sold well, so that's a cool template for a horror movie title now. (I might also add that nothing actually gets "conjured" in "The Conjuring" either.)

Anyway, it was pants. Not worth your time.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 15, 2020, 11:46:29 AM
Feedback (2019)

"A radio star experiences the worst night of his life when stalkers assault the radio station where he's working".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7857374

This is a pwopa nasty little British horror/thriller, that has several jaw dropping moments. Eddie Marsan is great in this

Thanks for the tip off. Really enjoyed that tonight. Yes, Marsan was great.

I'm offering up Calibre (2018) on Netflix. Scottish psychological thriller that subverts the 'city folk getting terrified by the locals' horror sub-genre. I thought the cast was very strong. Tony Curran particularly shines.

Custard

Glad you enjoyed it

Yep, I'm a fan of Calibre too. Such a tense watch!