Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:01:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moribunderast

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 07, 2020, 09:27:39 AM
Brain Damage 1988.

Good?  Hmmmm, not good but good isn't really the aim of these films.  It is a very watchable farce if only for the Stewie Griffin voiced brain eating leech.

Its on YT at the moment also.

Oh man, that was a key film in my childhood, having once found it in my Dad's video collection and him being too tired/lazy to stop me from excitedly watching it at about age 8. Still adore that movie and it can be very funny.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 26, 2020, 07:30:17 AM
In terms of films from the last few years, my pick for a great horror is The Endless (2017) (though watch Resolution (2012) first! Your enjoyment of the later film will be greatly increased by your having watched the earlier film), an incredible blend of time loops and (for lack of a better word) Lovecraftian awe.
Watched Resolution last night. I really enjoyed it. Really good idea. Annoyingly, I had to have the sound right down and subtitles on as she was sleeping in the next room, so possibly lost some of the atmosphere. Might watch it again properly before watching Endless.

SteveDave

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on July 09, 2020, 09:15:42 AM
Watched Resolution last night. I really enjoyed it. Really good idea. Annoyingly, I had to have the sound right down and subtitles on as she was sleeping in the next room, so possibly lost some of the atmosphere. Might watch it again properly before watching Endless.

I can highly recommend "Spring" from 2014 by the same duo. It's described as a romantic body horror film on wikipedia.

phosphoresce

Spoorloos - I finally saw this after hearing so many good things. In its sober, understated way it's the most chilling and plausible portrayal of a sociopath I've seen. Sluizer's inclusion of mundane details like radio commentary of the Tour de France, and stopping at the petrol station make it uncomfortably real too.

And yes, the ending. Christ.

Raymond is also the spit of a (lovely) former colleague, right down to the blank eyes.

zomgmouse

I watched the original Candyman and it's very good. Extremely interesting ideas explored, very cool imagery and feel. Seems like it doesn't all fit together and I wasn't too keen on the middle section but it's tremendous nonetheless.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 11, 2020, 12:16:49 PMI watched the original Candyman and it's very good. Extremely interesting ideas explored, very cool imagery and feel. Seems like it doesn't all fit together and I wasn't too keen on the middle section but it's tremendous nonetheless.

It's a really well put together film where the style and atmosphere lets it get away with its flaws. The Candyman himself is a creepy mofo, and you gotta love the fact that real bees were used in the necessary scenes whereas nowadays they'd just CGI them.

The sequels are poor, especially the third film.

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 11, 2020, 02:11:52 PM
It's a really well put together film where the style and atmosphere lets it get away with its flaws. The Candyman himself is a creepy mofo, and you gotta love the fact that real bees were used in the necessary scenes whereas nowadays they'd just CGI them.

Speaking of Candyman, and the first film is indeed very good, I just read this on Wikipedia:

The slasher crossover film Freddy vs. Jason (2003) also inspired Miramax to want to create a Candyman vs. Hellraiser crossover, but Clive Barker, originator of both franchises, had recommended against it. A crossover with the Leprechaun film series was also considered, but Tony Todd immediately flat out refused to participate in such a project, saying he had too much respect for his character to see him used for such a purpose.

The highlighted bit in particular is mind-boggling, and sounds like the worst idea in horror movie history. I mean, what would even be the concept there? Would they team up for hilarious Where's Me Gold? related hijinks, or what?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phosphoresce on July 11, 2020, 01:15:06 AM
Spoorloos - I finally saw this after hearing so many good things. In its sober, understated way it's the most chilling and plausible portrayal of a sociopath I've seen. Sluizer's inclusion of mundane details like radio commentary of the Tour de France, and stopping at the petrol station make it uncomfortably real too.

Raymond is also the spit of a (lovely) former colleague, right down to the blank eyes.

Only watching the opening credits and loving that fretless bass. Serious Peak Bergerac vibes with that score.

Quote from: SteveDave on July 10, 2020, 03:28:15 PM
I can highly recommend "Spring" from 2014 by the same duo. It's described as a romantic body horror film on wikipedia.

Watched this last night, really enjoyed it. Have you seen Synchronic, their latest film?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phosphoresce on July 11, 2020, 01:15:06 AM

Finished now, first rate and yep...that ending!

SteveDave

Quote from: JimminyJillikers on July 11, 2020, 08:06:35 PM
Watched this last night, really enjoyed it. Have you seen Synchronic, their latest film?

Is it "available"?

Puce Moment

Quote from: SteveDave on July 11, 2020, 10:14:54 PMIs it "available"?

Very good question - it appears to have been out for a while but I can't find it at all. Might be one for the Small Man Big Horse Media Detective Agency.

phosphoresce

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 11, 2020, 10:13:51 PM
Finished now, first rate and yep...that ending!

It is superb. The ending's truly horrible!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phosphoresce on July 12, 2020, 01:29:56 AM
It is superb. The ending's truly horrible!

Although extremely
Spoiler alert
claustrophobic
[close]
, I don't mind those sort of
Spoiler alert
scenes
[close]
. The emotion I received was not terror, but something more visceral. A deep deep sadness that persisted all night leaving me spent this morning.

zomgmouse

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 11, 2020, 02:11:52 PM

Those bees were amazing.

And I'm about to watch the sequels, for worse or for worse, ahead of the new one coming out. No idea if they will have any relevance to it but oh well.

Quote from: Sex Festival Organizer on July 11, 2020, 04:51:41 PM
Speaking of Candyman, and the first film is indeed very good, I just read this on Wikipedia:

The slasher crossover film Freddy vs. Jason (2003) also inspired Miramax to want to create a Candyman vs. Hellraiser crossover, but Clive Barker, originator of both franchises, had recommended against it. A crossover with the Leprechaun film series was also considered, but Tony Todd immediately flat out refused to participate in such a project, saying he had too much respect for his character to see him used for such a purpose.

The highlighted bit in particular is mind-boggling, and sounds like the worst idea in horror movie history. I mean, what would even be the concept there? Would they team up for hilarious Where's Me Gold? related hijinks, or what?

This reminds me of a silly bit my partner and I have where we come up with ridiculous "vs" films. These would certainly qualify. It's almost like they've been drawn out of a hat. Who does this and why. Jesus Christ (vs Scooby Doo).

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 12, 2020, 12:24:35 AM
Very good question - it appears to have been out for a while but I can't find it at all. Might be one for the Small Man Big Horse Media Detective Agency.

I think it's been out for ages in the sense that it premiered at a festival a while ago and has still only been doing the festival circuit. I don't think it's actually been out out as in out on the internet. But I could be wrong. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: SteveDave on July 10, 2020, 03:28:15 PM
Thanks! I noticed this after watching The Endless, which I thought was great.
Spoiler alert
I loved how it tied in to Resolution. Really really cool.
[close]
. Will definitely check out Spring and Synchronic.

Custard

The Endless ties into those films too. It's like their own little MCU!

Edit - Oh wait, that's what you were saying!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 13, 2020, 02:17:48 AM
I think it's been out for ages in the sense that it premiered at a festival a while ago and has still only been doing the festival circuit. I don't think it's actually been out out as in out on the internet. But I could be wrong. I'm very much looking forward to it.

I can't find it anywhere either which is a shame as I love their other films, but hopefully it might get a release at some point soon.

basterfeldt

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 12, 2020, 12:24:35 AM

Not out yet unfortunately, I did an online film festival thing and they said it's up in the air at the moment but might get a digital release.

"Relic" is a much hyped horror that came out on Friday which I'm looking forward to, and I saw "Sea Fever" the other day and would recommend that too. God I saw "Possession" (the 1981 one with Sam Neil) and that is BRILLIANT! Everything that director has made is brilliant too and I'd never even heard of him before.

phosphoresce

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 12, 2020, 10:51:43 AM
Although extremely
Spoiler alert
claustrophobic
[close]
, I don't mind those sort of
Spoiler alert
scenes
[close]
. The emotion I received was not terror, but something more visceral. A deep deep sadness that persisted all night leaving me spent this morning.

I know what you mean, I hesitated about posting Spoorloos in the Horror thread, it doesn't hit the usual emotional beats. Yes, it's a haunting ending.

Spoiler alert
There's this desperately sad resignation to the protagonist going along with Raymond. He knows on some level it won't end well for him in the slightest, but the prospect of a life being tortured by not knowing is worse.
[close]

The Endless is also a good 'un.

zomgmouse

Quote from: basterfeldt on July 13, 2020, 04:51:13 PM
God I saw "Possession" (the 1981 one with Sam Neil) and that is BRILLIANT! Everything that director has made is brilliant too and I'd never even heard of him before.

Ooh, Żuławski is fantastic. Try Devil (Diabeł) next!

zomgmouse

Quote from: basterfeldt on July 13, 2020, 04:51:13 PM
Not out yet unfortunately, I did an online film festival thing and they said it's up in the air at the moment but might get a digital release.

"Relic" is a much hyped horror that came out on Friday which I'm looking forward to

Just watched Relic. The opening credits are an off-white serif font on a dark background, if you're wondering what kind of horror film you're getting into. One or two beautiful ideas and images obscured by an attempt to "be a horror film" - as usual if these modern horror filmmakers will just let their ideas breathe and speak for themselves instead of trying to blood-from-a-stone them, they'd have a much better result on their hands. In essence this is about growing old and losing your mind and memory - very ripe themes for a horror film, for sure, so why is none of this scary? It's just vaguely sad. Feels like someone had an idea for a drama and then thought, "oh I know how this will sell, let's call it a horror film and add some unnecessary screaming". This was so frustrating. I wanted to like much more of this than I did. It's a nup from me.

basterfeldt

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 14, 2020, 07:27:22 AM
Just watched Relic. The opening credits are an off-white serif font on a dark background, if you're wondering what kind of horror film you're getting into. This was so frustrating. I wanted to like much more of this than I did. It's a nup from me.

Yeah, we watched it last night and I can't disagree with anything you've said. The sad bits were sad, the scary bits weren't much of anything, and by the end there felt like a total disconnect between everything the film had set out as its narrative.

Also,
Spoiler alert
the 'climactic' scenes towards the end in the ever evolving house just felt like someone was a big fan of the book House of Leaves and took the creepy overt parts from that without having to really deal with any of the metaphysics.
[close]

Huge disappointment! Is there anything else promising coming out anytime soon?

Re: Zulawski , I've got Cosmos, The Devil and Szmanka ready to watch. I can't believe I'd never encountered him before!

Puce Moment

I think I am unhealthily obsessed with Possession - it's such a fucking great film, and arguably isn't even Zulawski's best film!

You might be familiar with the ubiquitous medusa poster for the film, but recently I picked up this modern fan-poster. Usually I hate that sort of thing, but seeing this on my wall makes me happy everyday:

Custard

Dunno if this counts as a horror really, but

VFW (2019)

"A group of war veterans must defend their local VFW post and an innocent teen against a deranged drug dealer and his relentless army of punk mutants".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9894470/

An outright 80s homage, and good fun. I like most films that involve a group of people barricaded in somewhere and something outside is trying to get them

Small Man Big Horse

The Lodge - Some bland and annoying bloke is dating someone new so
Spoiler alert
his ex-wife Alicia Silverstone shoots herself dead, then the rest of the film is the kids hating the father's new woman, who turns out to be the only survivor of a cult who all committed suicide years ago
[close]
. Relentlessly miserable from start to finish, around the hour point I couldn't be arsed with it any more so skipped forward to see how it played out, and amazing it was even bleaker than I'd predicted. I like my horror either weird and strange or ridiculously over the top, and so this just isn't the type I enjoy at all, it's just fucking depressing stuff and even though I only half watched it I'm still filled with anger at the filmmakers for creating something so abjectly wretched. 0.1/10

BlodwynPig

Thought you meant Hitchcock's The Lodger

zomgmouse

Quote from: basterfeldt on July 14, 2020, 10:08:06 AM
Yeah, we watched it last night and I can't disagree with anything you've said. The sad bits were sad, the scary bits weren't much of anything, and by the end there felt like a total disconnect between everything the film had set out as its narrative.

Also,
Spoiler alert
the 'climactic' scenes towards the end in the ever evolving house just felt like someone was a big fan of the book House of Leaves and took the creepy overt parts from that without having to really deal with any of the metaphysics.
[close]

Totally agree! These films need to stop.

Quote from: basterfeldt on July 14, 2020, 10:08:06 AM
Huge disappointment! Is there anything else promising coming out anytime soon?

In terms of horror films in particular, I'm looking forward to Brandon Cronenberg's Possessor - a screener has leaked but I'd prefer to watch the proper rip when that's out. Also upcoming at some point, Sion Sono's Prisoners of the Ghostland and Christopher Smith's The Banishing. It'll likely be terrible but I'll probably still watch Lamberto Bava's Twins. From scouring festival programmes, keen for Bad Hair (though maybe this will be more of a comedy) and The Toll.

I watched The Beach House the other night.
The lass in it looked uncannily like Lacey Turner at times, at certain angles. Lacey is a much better actress though, and fitter. Probably busy with eastenders.
I wouldn't bother with it.

Yeah, possession is great! Love how hammy Sam Neill is, it can totally make or break a film, always great fun either way.

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 15, 2020, 02:46:21 AMBrandon Cronenberg's Possessor

Oh, I've seen that! Must have been the screener, I'd have remembered the Canapés. Didn't seem unfinished in any way, if that's any help. Great fun!
I think that's the heaviest twinge I've had in a long time, watching Caleb Landry Jones in antiviral.
Ill, vulnerable, pale, sweaty, ginger. Must be my type.