Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:06:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 14, 2020, 05:24:29 PM
The Lodge - I like my horror either weird and strange or ridiculously over the top, and so this just isn't the type I enjoy at all, it's just fucking depressing stuff and even though I only half watched it I'm still filled with anger at the filmmakers for creating something so abjectly wretched. 0.1/10
Jeez. I've been looking forward to watching this for a while now.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on July 15, 2020, 12:41:59 PM
Jeez. I've been looking forward to watching this for a while now.

Well a friend of mine loved it, and it's definitely down to my taste in horror films these days, I just don't see the appeal with truly bleak miserable stuff anymore.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on July 13, 2020, 10:58:42 AM
Thanks! I noticed this after watching The Endless, which I thought was great.
Spoiler alert
I loved how it tied in to Resolution. Really really cool.
[close]
. Will definitely check out Spring and Synchronic.

might have to watch Resolution because I thought the second half of Endless was terrible, especially the ending...the quality of acting and visuals dropping off markedly. Seemed like an outtake from The Hangover almost when they escaped. Yeeeehawww. Don't like time loops films generally, but the first half was very well done.

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 15, 2020, 02:46:21 AM
Totally agree! These films need to stop.

In terms of horror films in particular, I'm looking forward to Brandon Cronenberg's Possessor - a screener has leaked but I'd prefer to watch the proper rip when that's out. Also upcoming at some point, Sion Sono's Prisoners of the Ghostland and Christopher Smith's The Banishing. It'll likely be terrible but I'll probably still watch Lamberto Bava's Twins. From scouring festival programmes, keen for Bad Hair (though maybe this will be more of a comedy) and The Toll.

The Night House by David Bruckner looks pretty good too. I loved the Ritual so I'm looking forward to whenever the Night House is released.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 15, 2020, 06:17:45 PM
Well a friend of mine loved it, and it's definitely down to my taste in horror films these days, I just don't see the appeal with truly bleak miserable stuff anymore.

I hated Goodnight Mommy due to its absolutely fucking atrocious
Spoiler alert
THIS WAS TRAUMA ALL ALONG ending which ruined the INCREDIBLY DEFTLY INTRIGUING AND CHILLING MOOD constructed for the entire rest of the film
[close]
so I gave a very wide berth to The Lodge.

The Lodge, yeah, I didn't much care for this either.

Spoiler alert
Stealing medication from a traumatised mentally ill woman and trolling her for the lols "our dead ma". I almost cheered when she shot their dad and they started blubbing. Horrible little shits.

Two very effective jump scares they should have taken out. Smacks of desperation shaking the skelington when there's so little meat on the bones. I was snuggling my dog and nearly threw her up in the air at one point.
Very dull and depressing. Feels like you've had all the life sucked out of you and not in a way where you could say "well, that was an ordeal, excellent film but I never want to see it again", it was just a miserable slog.
Shame it wasn't a good film because it was really well made. Like a beautiful, inedible cake. Not fun out of five.
[close]

SteveDave

We saw Relic last night. Hmmm. I think I'm too thick for some films. So the real monster was
Spoiler alert
dementia
[close]
all along? I was hoping the granddad was into weird shit and had hidden the shed in the house somewhere. 

basterfeldt

Quote from: JimminyJillikers on July 15, 2020, 09:25:23 PM
The Night House by David Bruckner looks pretty good too. I loved the Ritual so I'm looking forward to whenever the Night House is released.

Ahh I always forget this, yeah this is the next on my list of things to be excited about. Lodge, Relic and Possessor were all up there but I've been disappointed by them all so far (although Possessor has some excellent effects)

Quote from: SteveDave on July 17, 2020, 08:48:12 AM
We saw Relic last night. Hmmm. I think I'm too thick for some films. So the real monster was
Spoiler alert
dementia
[close]
all along? I was hoping the granddad was into weird shit and had hidden the shed in the house somewhere.

(I think)
Spoiler alert
the film is about dementia but it's just the true theme. There still seems to be an entity sneaking about pulling some bullshit, but I don't think the film ends up being very successful and switches gear so randomly that neither explanation work very well.
I think the point is that the older house was indeed evil as the source of the mold/disease/ghost or whatever is coming from the window in the door. The whole film is meant to be representative of dementia. The ending suggests it's both hereditary and also coming from the door though. (Bullshit)
[close]

basterfeldt

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on July 17, 2020, 02:33:43 AM
The Lodge, yeah, I didn't much care for this either.

Yep to everything you said.

Has anyone read "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" by Ian Reid? It's ganna be a Charlie Kaufman film on Netflix.

Spoiler alert
I really hated the end/the whole book.
[close]

Watched Relic tonight, I really liked it!

Spoiler alert
I think it was more just about death in general.
I think the old woman was already dead (literally or not, it doesn't matter) but she needed to know she was loved so that she could be at peace.
I thought the ending was really brave because it could have come across as silly.
Really touching seeing the three generations of women lying on the bed together, coming to terms with their current or impending death.
[close]

I get the point that it could have been a drama, but I wouldn't have watched it! I think you can use horror or sci-fi to touch on all sorts of themes. I agree it wasn't really scary, but I don't think it needed to be. I really liked it.

Custard

From Adult Swim, this horrifying 12 minute short, This House Has People In It
https://youtu.be/x-pj8OtyO2I

PlanktonSideburns

I think that's one of the scariest things I've seen in years. Made me feel really bad and unnerved when I first watched it

Custard

Heh, yeah I had the same reaction. Just sat here watching it on my tablet in the dark. Proper shivers

shagatha crustie

I thought Adult Swim's Unedited Footage of a Bear was genuinely really scary as well. Got more of a reaction from me than most modern horror feature films.

Custard

Yeah, that one is good too. Like watching someone else's nightmare

https://youtu.be/2gMjJNGg9Z8

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: shagatha crustie on July 19, 2020, 11:41:27 PM
I thought Adult Swim's Unedited Footage of a Bear was genuinely really scary as well. Got more of a reaction from me than most modern horror feature films.

all done by the same comedy group, wham city. they and their indicvidual parts have made some great stuff: an earlier one that wham city guy alan resnick did, alantutorial is worth a look: looks like a load of silly how to video parodies, but if you watch them all in order, it plays like a short horror flim

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIV8FfDqBNVw4A5F1IF5wrH3P_9Tm7k2&app=desktop

both unedited footage of a bear and this house has people in it have got yards and yards of extra footage and content you can look up on them also, which was released as a website based ARG at the time, - for THHPII, they were hoping for a whole series with adult swim, but they only gave them 10min, so theyve made an entire series worth of content in that world, and given it a full structure. not neccicary to enjoy it i think: it stands on its own, but i love that there is a whole world that they made and filmed for it too

PlanktonSideburns

the opening 5 min of unedited footasge of a bear is one of the most eeerie things ive ever seen. ive recently moved to a suburb a bit like that one (in the look of it) - theres even a curved hill like the one in it, and recently my bike brakes have started making a sound like part of the soundtrack

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 19, 2020, 11:11:34 PM
From Adult Swim, this horrifying 12 minute short, This House Has People In It
https://youtu.be/x-pj8OtyO2I
Oh, man! Watched this and the bear one last night. Amazing. Really unnerving. Thanks for the heads up.

PlanktonSideburns

Glad they're getting some love, didn't feel like they got what they deserved when they were posted in the AS offcuts thread, maybe because that was more about comedy stuff

"Too Many Cooks" is an earlier one of these short films by (I think) the same people.  Has that same skewed reality vibe.  Very odd.

https://youtu.be/QrGrOK8oZG8

Pseudopath

I'd like to add to the love for Unedited Footage of a Bear (and pretty much anything touched by Alan Resnick's hand). Just in case you didn't notice it, look in the background at 0:59. Brrrrrrrr.

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on July 23, 2020, 01:12:34 PM
"Too Many Cooks" is an earlier one of these short films by (I think) the same people.  Has that same skewed reality vibe.  Very odd.

No...that was Casper Kelly, co-creator of Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell and this Adult Swim Infomercial. Don't think he's got anything to do with Wham City.

Rev+

Ghosts of War is a bit conflicted about its style, starting out being ridiculously explicit in its violence and then pulling it back a bit.  It's an alright and reasonably-paced long episode of the Twilight Zone, but you *will* roughly figure out what's going on by the half-hour point, and will just sort of nod at it from that point on.  Decent enough, but does contain elements of Billy Zane.

Artie Fufkin

The Strange Thing About The Johnsons - 2011

Jesus, fucking hell, no. Not sure if this is actually 'horror', but fuck me!!

The Blood On Satan's Claw - 1971

Got half hour into this and realised I'd seen it before a LONNNG time ago. Watched it all again, though. Great Hammer House type stuff. Paganism and all that. Brilliant. Love a bit of old school paganism.

I find well-done shock parts of dramas not billing themselves as 'horror' to have provided moments that are more truly horrific than so-called 'horror' films, most of which are cheesy to a greater or lesser extent.

neveragain

The genuine surprise in that situation helps elevate the moment.

surreal

Thought I'd drop this in here, wasn't sure about starting a new thread for it - Kevin Smith announced a new horror movie "Killroy Was Here" at ComicCon, with a trailer.  Language is beeped but the gore isn't toned down for the trailer which is odd but understandably American:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2893&v=scc4gW94XxE&feature=emb_logo

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: surreal on July 26, 2020, 04:41:23 PM
Thought I'd drop this in here, wasn't sure about starting a new thread for it - Kevin Smith announced a new horror movie "Killroy Was Here" at ComicCon, with a trailer.  Language is beeped but the gore isn't toned down for the trailer which is odd but understandably American:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2893&v=scc4gW94XxE&feature=emb_logo

Looks interminable. Is there any script that really needs Ralph Garman smoking weed whilst Kevin Smith's daughter and Jay from Jay & Silent Bob swear in the background?

Twonty Gostelow

Just enjoyed Better Watch Out on Amazon. Psychological horror with gory moments and a different take on the home invasion theme. Very good acting from the leads.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: SteveDave on July 10, 2020, 03:28:15 PM
I can highly recommend "Spring" from 2014 by the same duo. It's described as a romantic body horror film on wikipedia.
Yeah, watched this over the weekend. It was ok. Nice to see Shitty Carl get a nod. I didn't enjoy it AS much as Resolution & Endless. But it was ok. Liked the farmer bloke. Am I wrong in thinking
Spoiler alert
his 'dead' wife was the changeling
[close]
, or did I get that wrong?

shagatha crustie

Seeing as we've touched on some weird horror shorts with the Adult Swim stuff, here's the funny but also deeply unnerving short horror musical Possibly In Michigan (1983):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLJNSD3H5sg

Best to just dive in with this one, I was going to go into details but it's better experienced than explained.