Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,352
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:09:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Enjoyed that - felt like some sort of Suburban Lawns fever dream

BlodwynPig

Quote from: shagatha crustie on July 27, 2020, 01:22:17 PM
Seeing as we've touched on some weird horror shorts with the Adult Swim stuff, here's the funny but also deeply unnerving short horror musical Possibly In Michigan (1983):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLJNSD3H5sg

Best to just dive in with this one, I was going to go into details but it's better experienced than explained.

A mashup of Dan Bell and Geneva Jacuzzi

zomgmouse

Seeing as we've touched on some weird horror shorts with the Adult Swim stuff, here's the funny but also deeply unnerving short horror musical Possibly In Michigan (1983):

Best to just dive in with this one, I was going to go into details but it's better experienced than explained.

Oh Cecelia Condit is great, and she's still making video art to this day, and though it was always fairly personal it has now shifted into something a lot more self-reflective and gentle but still quite vibrant and challenging.

Of her earlier work I also really like Beneath the Skin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcXEJbWkLWE

Then later on we have this short called Annie Lloyd about her aging/dying mother: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40PKdF78Akk

More recently still, one of my favourites is We Were Hardly More Than Children: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6LfnQNKYnQ

Her latest one released this year is I've Been Afraid and continues to be touching and bizarre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAQiCQGAkUc

Brundle-Fly

I watched Terrified (Aterrados) (2017) on Shudder last night and thought it was great. Proper old fashioned scary supernatural/ demonic horror which actually gave me the prickly tingles that I've not felt in a while. The soundtrack was excellent too. Argentian (& Argentonesque)

Subtitles: Spanish/Castillian

BlodwynPig

you see, I want to watch things like that but I don't want jump scare with cataract eyed, gaped mouthed old things stumbling or leaping out of darkness to give me coronary.

Brundle-Fly

Probably not a good idea then.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 28, 2020, 11:48:15 AM
Probably not a good idea then.

So unfair. Fucking horror movies.

Famous Mortimer

That's really really good, isn't it? Like, I fell in love with it almost immediately, and it just kept being brilliant in different ways all the way through. I'm a new fan of Cecelia Condit, it seems.

Jerzy Bondov

Cat People and Curse of the Cat People are on the iPlayer at the moment. Lovely stuff.

My wife was out last night so I decided to watch Demons (1985) which I've never seen before. It was brilliant. Loads of demons with all blood and green goo coming out of them.

itsfredtitmus

Watched The Orphan (2009) or whatever whilst pissed with mates and it was surprisingly SHITE even whilst drunk
Yeah you learned what gaslighting is big deal

Moribunderast

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 28, 2020, 11:23:25 AM
I watched Terrified (Aterrados) (2017) on Shudder last night and thought it was great. Proper old fashioned scary supernatural/ demonic horror which actually gave me the prickly tingles that I've not felt in a while. The soundtrack was excellent too. Argentian (& Argentonesque)

I think I posted about that movie in a horror thread many moons ago. Really enjoyable and quite scary in parts.

I watched RELIC - eh, it was okay. The last twenty minutes were pretty tense, the build-up a bit boring. I have AMULET ready to watch. Hoping for something good out of that, maybe.

Hand Solo

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on July 30, 2020, 05:32:24 AM
Watched The Orphan (2009) or whatever whilst pissed with mates and it was surprisingly SHITE even whilst drunk
Yeah you learned what gaslighting is big deal

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/dad-claims-adopted-dwarf-girl-20534688

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 28, 2020, 11:23:25 AM

Watched this last night. Loved the first half. Really cool, and atmospheric. Second half, not as good, but ok. Did I miss the explanation of the original demon(?)?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on August 01, 2020, 05:28:39 PM
Watched this last night. Loved the first half. Really cool, and atmospheric. Second half, not as good, but ok. Did I miss the explanation of the original demon(?)?

Spoiler alert
An interdimensional being?
[close]

Thanks for the recommendation, I remember having that in my "films to get" folder years ago but never actually getting round to getting it, so I watched it tonight.

I agree, it lets itself down in the third act, or perhaps earlier, but I had a smile on my face most of the way through.
Would have been much better without the little exposition dump in the middle, and the final jump scare was poorly done. Like some other moments in the film, only served to cheapen the rest.

Great fun though, never a dull moment, foot down on the pedal all the way to the end. Definitely worth a watch. Could have been great, but it's still good.
Go in expecting a fast, fun, daft ghost train ride and you'll not come out the other end feeling short changed.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 01, 2020, 08:37:23 PM
Spoiler alert
An interdimensional being?
[close]
Yeah. But why? Was there a reason for it?

Hand Solo

Haha, crazy as fuck, zombie Nazis piloting mechanical sky sharks!

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3625526/nazi-zombies-pilot-mechanical-sharks-crazy-af-sky-sharks-trailer-videot/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9AX2uDS0Xk

Except it isn't crazy is it? It's just mashed together the long-standing trope of Nazi Zombies with stupid creature feature Sharknado type fare. It's practically the most blatant unoriginal attempt of selotaping successful format A to succesful format B in the schlock film genre and getting it through the door on the basis of how kerrazzy it sounds to someone like your Nan.

BlodwynPig

You say "successful"...?

Hand Solo

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 03, 2020, 10:44:33 AM
You say "successful"...?

Dumb Shark movie and Nazi Zombies have both been the two big schlock film gimmicks for the last decade or more:

AsparagusTrevor

zomgmouse

To be fair, Dead Snow is actually dead good

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 03, 2020, 11:11:38 AM
Dumb Shark movie and Nazi Zombies have both been the two big schlock film gimmicks for the last decade or more:

I meant the "successful" part

Hand Solo

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 03, 2020, 11:17:40 AM
I meant the "successful" part

They keep churning them out, so people must be watching them (not me) but just the person writing that article for a Horror site would describe the concept as 'Crazy AF' when even anyone peripherally aware of modern movies would know they're both hack themes got my giddy little goat.

AsparagusTrevor

To be fair, Overlord was a decent, well made film, and critically well received. It's also not about Nazi zombies in the strictest sense. It just seems unfair to lump it with the other Syfy level movies.

Hand Solo

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on August 03, 2020, 12:09:04 PM
To be fair, Overlord was a decent, well made film, and critically well received. It's also not about Nazi zombies in the strictest sense. It just seems unfair to lump it with the other Syfy level movies.

I just googled Nazi Zombies and chose a few posters, I haven't seen Overlord, it was a comment on the general theme than any particular movie, and as you've said Dead Snow is decent, dunno about the sequel. The majority of these films' selling point is on them being seen as over-the-top schlock, that was the entire purpose of Sharknado, in order to sell it as a bad disaster movie the audience can laugh at ironically, except it's been absolutely designed to be that so it isn't ironic at all, which is in itself ironic! It's all a bit snake swallowing its tail, but having Nazi Zombies on flying robot sharks is just so apposite to the tediousness of all this when there's obviously been a lot of effort put into projects like this, makes me sad that a lot of smaller productions such at this could have concentrated on doing something a bit more interesting, but this kind of shit sells, I suppose.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 03, 2020, 12:01:48 PM
They keep churning them out, so people must be watching them (not me) but just the person writing that article for a Horror site would describe the concept as 'Crazy AF' when even anyone peripherally aware of modern movies would know they're both hack themes got my giddy little goat.
I assume the site just republished the press release. But you're completely right about it not being even slightly interesting.

BlodwynPig

I bet Ghost shark doesn't even waste time getting a Flubber cast-off with painted on fangs. Just some ropey CGI of legs getting bitten off by something invisible in the water. Actually scratch that, no appendages are bitten off because the ghost shark cannot bite. It's just an actress swimming in the ocean for 1 hour.

here is some footage of a real ghost shark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4uwDrdLfS4

Hand Solo

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 03, 2020, 06:01:56 PM
here is some footage of a real ghost shark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4uwDrdLfS4

Goblin Shark has it beat.

Here's Ghost Shark's Best Bits for your curiosity. There's even worse contemporary knock-offs like this year's Ouija Shark.

A few years back there was even a Jersey Shore vs Sharks movie ffs.

Rev+

Host is another Shudder thing.  Zoom call (or similar, never used Zoom so dunno) between a bunch of friends attempting a seance.  What could possibly go wrong?

Yeah, you get what you're expecting with this one.  Although clearly built for - and made in - the times we're living in, Covid-19 only gets a couple of references.  I suspect that this was in some form of development before lockdown, in the wake of things like Unfriended.  It comes in at a very lean 56 minutes, which for me would usually be a plus point, but here it means that you don't give a bollocks about any of the characters when things kick off, because you don't really know much about them.  Alright, not that unusual a state of affairs for a horror film, but the intimacy of the format kind of leads you to expect something more.

A not very good film that just sort of happens.  9/10

frajer

The Rental (2020) by James Franco's younger brother Dave.

Was seeing good reviews for this so went in quite keen. Unfortunately fell flat on its arse for me. One of those horror films that is solid enough but does nothing innovative and seems created by people who don't have enough awareness of other horror films to realise what they're doing is painfully well-trodden.

Unlikeable characters rent a lovely house for a weekend away in the wilderness and it all goes predictably fuck-up. I liked that the characters are realistically flawed and the brothers/couples dynamic was interesting, but that build-up goes nowhere and there's no thematic resolution to any of this. Basically all the bad shit comes to the surface and then a
Spoiler alert
random bloke in a rubber mask kills them all.
[close]

Two stars, some funny bits but no real scares. All of the cast are decent, but it all felt pretty hollow and pointless. Modern horror at its most beige.