Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:09:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Train To Busan 2 has just leaked

Hand Solo

Quote from: Head Gardener on August 25, 2020, 12:50:23 PM
Train To Busan 2 has just leaked

Tsk. Those bloody zombies clogging up the bowl with toilet paper and brain matter again.

Bazooka

I lived in Busan, and never saw any odd goings on, and I'm particularly observant.

zomgmouse

Anyone else seen the recent Russian sci-fi horror Sputnik? Thought it was quite decent.

I thought it started off well. Felt very Russian to begin with, nice and drab and foreboding, but it just couldn't keep it up.
Felt like they played it far too safe, felt like a pale imitation of so many others films a lot of the time.
Very lightweight and flimsy and as dull as dishwater.
I was totally unmoved for the 2 hours and I remember thinking that a painfully average film like this can be even worse than something so utterly shit that it makes you angry.
I watched Driven a few nights earlier and at least that made me feel something!

Candyman

First time I've watched the whole thing in one go.
Mental. Excellent camera work (that opening titles sequence :heart:)
Didn't realise it was a Barker, so should have expected more mentalz.
Enjoyed. Would recommend.

Brundle-Fly

Watched Terrifier (2016) the other night. A really vicious nasty slasher that wears its Splatterhouse 1980s influences on its blood-soaked puff sleeve. I thought it was well made, pacey and Art the clown villain certainly gives Pennywise a run for his money. The actor who plays him is superb considering
Spoiler alert
he has no dialogue throughout, he's like a fucked up, evil version of Marcel Marceau
[close]
It delivered the goods.

The following night I watched Shudder's latest offering Random Acts Of Violence (2020), which actually made me question my enjoyment of Terrifier. A touch of Unbreakable (2000) about it. The film actually has something to say about the whole slasher genre and morbid gorehounds like me. Stylish, excellent cast and a strong script.

Oh, I finally saw One Cut Of The Dead (2017) off the back of this thread. Fucking brilliant. Thanks CaB. Thab.

zomgmouse

Quote from: A Hat Like That on August 29, 2020, 08:09:39 AM
Candyman

First time I've watched the whole thing in one go.
Mental. Excellent camera work (that opening titles sequence :heart:)
Didn't realise it was a Barker, so should have expected more mentalz.
Enjoyed. Would recommend.

Yeah I watched this recently for the first time - very stunning. Lots to analyse in terms of the way we approach myths and stories - not to mention race and class.

shagatha crustie

Hardly anything new or obscure but I just rewatched Blair Witch for the first time in years and it is tremendous. A perfect horror film for my money. Scary as fook.

Puce Moment

Going to give that a watch on new big TV very soon. Lights off. Pant shitting terror.

Custard

Blair Witch Project could be the scariest film evorrrs for me. The sudden rustling of the tent in the middle of the night, the kids voices, the standing facing the wall stuff, THAT fucking house at the end

Big screen, lights off. It's horrific

Artie Fufkin

I remember going to see BWP at the cinema with a friend and absolutely LOVING it. Pooped myself. When we got back to his place afterwards (easy now), we walked into his living room to find his cat sitting in the corner of the room staring at the wall......

shagatha crustie

Even without all the attendant marketing stuntery (which must have made it even more effective in cinemas in '99), it's still just a really tight, well-made film with superb performances and juuuust the right amount of missing logic to capture an incredibly real sense of confusion and dread. The colour and b/w cameras, the disorientation of two cameras between three people and how the film plays with the logic of who is filming/who is being captured, the way the leaves and branches just kinda seem to become indistinguishable from the grain of the film... and how all meaning breaks down as they inexplicably arrive at that fucking house. Couldn't get off to sleep last night for thinking about the bastard.

SteveDave

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on September 02, 2020, 09:04:11 AM
I remember going to see BWP at the cinema with a friend and absolutely LOVING it. Pooped myself. When we got back to his place afterwards (easy now), we walked into his living room to find his cat sitting in the corner of the room staring at the wall......

My friend watched the video with two people who'd seen it before and when he went for a piss after the film, he came back in to find both of them in two corners of the room staring at the walls. A great bunch of lads.

Thomas

It's possibly the only found-footage film I've seen where the footage feels genuinely 'found' throughout.

In a lot of films the camcorder conceit usually suffers - handheld logic sacrificed for plot-convenient shots - but in The Blair Witch Project it manages to feel authentic for the entire film.

shagatha crustie

Agreed - they also get around the unlikelihood of everything being filmed by making it a compulsion of Heather's that is constantly addressed by Mike and Josh, thereby serving the characterisation and embellishing the plot.

SteveDave

Quote from: Thomas on September 02, 2020, 09:55:04 AM
It's possibly the only found-footage film I've seen where the footage feels genuinely 'found' throughout.

In a lot of films the camcorder conceit usually suffers - handheld logic sacrificed for plot-convenient shots - but in The Blair Witch Project it manages to feel authentic for the entire film.

"Hell House LLC" gets close but there are too many expositional conversations later on in it that get filmed for no reason other than to keep people up to speed.

Custard

I remember coming out of the cinema and hearing so many people saying it was shit and boring. I genuinely remember thinking at the time "this is the fucking pinnacle, ya cunts". And it was. No horror has affected me that deeply since

Artie Fufkin

And, controversial I know, I really enjoyed the sequel, although I believe it got absolutely slated.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Thomas on September 02, 2020, 09:55:04 AM

August Underground's Mordum

Puce Moment

Yeah for me Blair Witch is in a very small group of horror films that have genuinely shit me up, unnerved me and left me unable to look at mirrors or windows for the rest of the day. I agree that it is really the only film that utilises found footage in a fully satisfying way. The marmite response to the film is understandable given the concept and genre, and I remember back in the day that it gained a lot of publicity. I saw it in a packed multiplex on a Wednesday in the first week of release. It was bound to get some push-back. I assume that some people watch Blair Witch and find it as scary as I find The Exorcist or A Quiet Place. It's an incredibly subjective genre.

SteveDave

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on September 02, 2020, 12:39:59 PM
And, controversial I know, I really enjoyed the sequel, although I believe it got absolutely slated.

I saw that in the cinema. Absolute dogs eggs. At the end people were looking around at each other like "Was that the right film?" I think everyone was expecting another found footage film where some family/friends go looking for the missing people from the first one. I presume the fellows who made the first one got a lorry full of money for it. 

Jerzy Bondov

The Blair Witch Project was absolutely huge at the time. I was 13 when it came out and everyone in school was talking about it. A couple of my friends had got it from the video shop and watched it together one night, and they said it wasn't that scary. Just a lot of walking round in the woods swearing. They still had the tape so I went round and they fast forwarded through it to show me the 'good bits'.

I saw barely any of the interview at the start, a few snippets of daytime wandering, the scene where they wake up and find the cairns ('oh some rocks, so scary, hahaha, this is gay'), the bit where they find the stick figures ('oh some sticks, wow, scariest film ever, not'). Was this it? It was shit. Boring.

Then they showed me the scene where they're in the tent at night listening to children laughing, and some fucking thing shakes the tent, and they run out, and you can't see what's going on but it's scary as fuck. I pretended not to be scared but now I was shitting it. Then another tent scene, with screaming. Horrible. Then they find bits of their friend wrapped up in his shirt. And then, the house.

I think this was the first real horror film I ever saw. That scene in the house scared the absolute piss right out of me. Despite watching it on a bright day, without having bothered to watch most of the lead up, with my friends openly scoffing about how cheap and crap the film was. It was the scariest thing I had ever seen in my entire life. I couldn't handle it. I wanted to delete my brain. I couldn't stop thinking about that guy staring at the wall, and the sounds echoing through that house, and whatever unseen thing it was that had killed everyone. I couldn't sleep.

We went away to stay with my Granny in the countryside and I lay alone in the tiny front bedroom with pitch darkness outside the window and I just wanted to go back and stop myself ever watching that film. There was an article about the making of the film in the magazine that came with Granny's Daily Mail. I read it over and over. I needed to confirm that it wasn't real.

I still haven't watched it properly. I almost prefer it that way, just this utter nightmare that I scanned through, that broke my brain for weeks.

JaDanketies

First time I watched the Blair Witch I was 19 and was in bed with this woman and I farted really loud and it made her jump and scream, just like if you shout 'boo' during a scary bit of a movie.

shagatha crustie

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 02, 2020, 03:53:52 PM
The Blair Witch Project was absolutely huge at the time. I was 13 when it came out...

Ahh man. Good post. I miss getting that affected by scary stuff. Days are gone. I'm fucking nails now you see. Mulholland Drive was my equivalent. My dad liked Twin Peaks so we got it on DVD and watched it in the dark on a hotel room TV in Greece. It got right inside my mind and would not go away, just clung to my impressionable subconscious like an evil clinging mist and left me obsessed and terrified. Lay wide awake all night with lesbians and blue boxes and tiny laughing old people swimming around on the bedroom ceiling. For ages I wouldn't even Google the film in case I stumbled across a picture of that horrible dead woman's face.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 02, 2020, 03:53:52 PM
The Blair Witch Project was absolutely huge at the time. I was 13 when it came out.......
Brilliant post!
Exorcist & Children Of The Stones (yeah, alright) have made me feel this way.

Hand Solo

Zombie For Sale (2019)

Parasite with Zombies.

Three generational Korean family of scam artists run a gas station then get lumbered with a zombie, except they come up with a get-rich-quick scheme to use its powers to make a fortune. Don't usually like zombie movies but this was a bit (comedy) different.

Hand Solo

Get Duked!

A bunch of lads go on an orienteering trip for A Duke Of Edinburgh Award. A bunch of them are stoners, rappers etc, and one is a clean cut conservative, WHAT WILL HAPPEN?

It was alright actually.

holyzombiejesus

Witch in the Window is really good. The bit where
Spoiler alert
the 'mom' rings the dad to say that the son has got home ok when he's sitting there right next to the dad
[close]
felt quite fresh, as was the bit where
Spoiler alert
they saw the back of someone's head in the chair and walked over and it didn't vanish or turn out to be a football or a sausage or antyhtnign.
[close]