Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:32:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Head Gardener on February 16, 2021, 12:22:51 PM
Monster Hunter has just come out & am watching it tonight as most Paul W.S. Anderson films have something going for them (Event Horizon is a fave) even if it is just sexy women chasing down giant creatures, I'm in
trailer

Paul W.S. Anderson is basically his wife's agent at this point.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: SteveDave on February 18, 2021, 08:36:58 AM
We saw "A Dark Song" last night after seeing it compared to "Saint Maud" on that thread and I really enjoyed it.

I think it could've been a lot different had they had someone more traditionally "occult" looking to play the male lead but Steve Oram gave it a real grounding in reality.
One of my fave films of the last few years, that. A horror film with a decent ending!!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: SteveDave on December 14, 2020, 09:27:45 AM
"Anything for Jackson"

I was sold by the synopsis-

"A bereaved Satanist couple kidnap a pregnant woman so they can use an ancient spellbook to put their dead grandson's spirit into her unborn child but end up summoning more than they bargained for."

It was quite good. The ginger satanist they hang around with really looks like Bruce Dern. It took me most of the film to realise this but they're not related.

A belated thanks for the heads up. I really enjoyed this. A sort of black comedy version of Rosemary's Baby (1968). I thought  the way they told the story and performances had a different take on the genre. I loved the ginger-haired Satanist guy. I'd even watch a Netflix series with his character as the lead. The grandparents had a great rapport but you talk about your man evoking Bruce Dern,  I just couldn't get over how much the pair reminded me of the aged Chris Langham and Thelma Barlow.

shagatha crustie

We saw "A Dark Song" last night after seeing it compared to "Saint Maud" on that thread and I really enjoyed it.

I think it could've been a lot different had they had someone more traditionally "occult" looking to play the male lead but Steve Oram gave it a real grounding in reality.

Glad you liked it, and yeah - a believably seedy, cynical 'dark web' sort of occultist.

frajer

Ah great to see A Dark Song getting love, it's one of my favourites from recent years too.

In my head I think of these grounded British low/medium budget horror films as "kitchen sink horrors" and they're a big fave of mine too. Love seeing a recognisable section of this country, with everyday lives going on, but with an added element of supernatural/occult lurking and creeping in at the fringes.

paddy72

Quote from: frajer on February 18, 2021, 01:59:42 PM
Ah great to see A Dark Song getting love, it's one of my favourites from recent years too.

In my head I think of these grounded British low/medium budget horror films as "kitchen sink horrors" and they're a big fave of mine too. Love seeing a recognisable section of this country, with everyday lives going on, but with an added element of supernatural/occult lurking and creeping in at the fringes.

Me too. I'm sure it will have been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but if anybody has not already seen Possum, then definitely do so.

chveik

I have a recommendation for youse horror buffs. it's not perfect, but the atmosphere's quite creepy

the third part of the night - polish ww2 film, the guy's main job is too feed lice (they're trying to work out a vaccine for typhus)*, so he spends his time in a feverish state, seeing doppelgangers of his murdered wife everywhere. dialogue's a bit too litteral (they spend their time quoting passages of the book of revelation) but the camerawork is very original and you can really feel the pure dread they must have experienced during that time. all in all I'd say it's a 3,5/5 film, worth a watch.

*real story
QuoteThe story was inspired by the experiences of Zulawski's father Miroslaw who worked at the Weigel Institute in Nazi-occupied Lviv. Professor Weigl developed an original method of producing typhus vaccine. The method consisted of breeding lice vaccinated with typhus bacteria, and then preparing a vaccine for humans. The lice had to be fed with human blood. The institute was producing typhus vaccine for the German army, and Lviv residents were encouraged to become lice feeders. Those who participated were able to receive a certificate that gave some degree of protection during the occupation.[1] Armia Krajowa (Polish Resistance) used it as a cover for its members.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: paddy72 on February 18, 2021, 05:52:20 PM
Me too. I'm sure it will have been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but if anybody has not already seen Possum, then definitely do so.

I watched Possum and A Dark Song after they were recommended by one or CABbers

ETA and they are both great. Possum in particular.

Phil_A

Hate to be "that guy" on this thread, but I felt like the ending of A Dark Song was a huge disappointment, and I was loving it up to that point as well.

I really wish they'd kept the ambiguity as to whether
Spoiler alert
Joseph was a nutter and/or Catherine was going mad with grief. To turn round at the end and just go "Oh demons/angels are real and here's something that looks like a Dark Souls boss" really just kind-of destroyed it for me, as it had been so grounded up to that point.

To my mind, it starts to fall apart once Joseph dies. That CG monstrosity was unforgivable and should never have made the final edit.
[close]

Loved Possum, though. Brilliant film.

purlieu

A Dark Song's ending is absolute marmite. I've seen passionate defence of them being brave enough to attempt it and anger at how it spoiled the mood of the film. I'm very much on the side of the former. Most films would have gone for ambiguity.

willbo

Gonna try and watch Snatchers and Trick or Treat (the 80s metal-themed horror film) tommorow

Custard

The Wailing (2016)
This was very good. Could've done without some of the police bloke's arsing about in the first third, but once the horror kicks in it gets much more enjoyable. Probably couldn't done with being a bit tighter also, as 2hrs40 is verrrry long for a horror. I watched it over three different sittings!

BlodwynPig

Not my recommendations - but horror author Adam Nevile from his latest mail out. He has impeccable taste, so these may entice a few on here. I've only heard of Saint Maud (as its discussed here).
Saint Maud - A grim, grey accumulation of British madness and dread. Gig-economy, patched and peeled seaside town, religious mania. Couldn't resist it. Super ending too. I still think of it. I'd been waiting to see this film for ages and it didn't disappoint. A Blu-ray keeper for my library too. (Sky Box Office but might be on Prime too now).

Impetigore - An atmospheric and ghastly folk-horror from Indonesia (written and directed by Joko Anwar who directed Satan's Slaves, that reminded me of the Evil Dead. (Shudder)

The Queen of Black Magic – an Anwar script and another atmospheric Indonesian folk horror set in a remote orphanage. (Shudder)

Anything for Jackson - A comic but chilling occult horror. Not seen this level of infernal chaos since Hereditary. (Shudder)

The Wolf of Snow Hollow - A quirky, humorous, entertaining horror with echoes of Fargo & John Landis. Ben Lovett composed the soundtrack (Ben composed The Ritual score). (Amazon Prime)

La Llorona - Think this is the first Guatemalan film I've ever seen and I found this tale of genocide and shame eerie and poignant. (Shudder)

Host - Enjoyed the hell out of this and even experienced a few prickles along my scalp. Along with Unfriended & Unfriended Dark Web that I've really enjoyed, this seems to be a new subgenre (Zoom horror?) that has to be innovative to overcome the immense restrictions of the settings. Host is now my favourite of the three. (Shudder)

The Mortuary Collection - Really well made (beautiful vivid colours & cinematography) and highly entertaining. Also grimly funny. (Shudder)

Belzebuth - A Mexican occult horror film that's not for the faint hearted. Gruesome, even unpleasant in parts, but pretty gripping. There's also one very memorable scene worthy of William Peter Blatty. One for fans of The Omen and The Exorcist. (Shudder)

32 Malasana Street - A creepy and atmospheric Spanish horror film about a haunted apartment, that had echoes of the end of REC. (Shudder)

I'm going to throw in Bliss and Blood Quantum too (I saw them both on Shudder) for gore-soaked carnage. Sometimes, I just let this kind of horror film flow . . .

On TV, I will also recommend To the Lake. A Russian pandemic horror/thriller series that I mainlined over two nights. It's grim, brutal and timely (it'll be too timely for some) but I was convinced by its angle on human nature. Really well-made.

wooders1978

I met Steve oram in a local pub a few years back, as he was filming nearby and staying there - he was very nice indeed and, I think, was quite pleased to have been recognised - stood and had a drink with him and he hold me about what he was up too (itv series if memory serves), I tried to get some info on sightseers but he seemed to not want to talk about it at all.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: wooders1978 on February 28, 2021, 12:26:35 PM
I met Steve oram in a local pub a few years back, as he was filming nearby and staying there - he was very nice indeed and, I think, was quite pleased to have been recognised - stood and had a drink with him and he hold me about what he was up too (itv series if memory serves), I tried to get some info on sightseers but he seemed to not want to talk about it at all.

Here he is, oddly popping up in a Quentin Smirhes piece (a bit later on in the video). I think it could count as horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V_zGecDCpA

willbo

I ordered Spring on dvd which I've never seen so looking forward to that. I'm going to try and see Sputnik ASAP too.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 28, 2021, 10:36:17 AM
Not my recommendations - but horror author Adam Nevile from his latest mail out. He has impeccable taste, so these may entice a few on here. I've only heard of Saint Maud (as its discussed here).

Cheers for that. I've watched some real clunkers this week and need my faith restored in sub-humanity.

Tales From The Lodge (2019) Great cast but the usual parade of gauche, amoral, unlikeable characters that British film comedy seems to relish but bloody hell, that unpleasant payoff must've ruffled a few feathers.

neveragain

Yes, it is unpleasant. The idea that you can just get a sex change is misinformed and catnip to transphobes. Also, there's only one good-ish section (the Johnny Vegas one).

Interesting experiment that each actor directed their own story. It does mean that Sophie Thompson directed herself giving a short monologue, which is low effort compared to the rest.

Brundle-Fly

I can't believe they did the old scattering ashes in the wind sight gag too.

wooders1978

I watched Red Dot on Netflix last night - a Swedish film about a couple who go hiking up in the north, it's pretty good, not hugely original but some nice scenery and pretty well shot too

Btw Netflix defaults to a terrible English dub so do switch your settings back to Swedish with subs

BlodwynPig

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 01, 2021, 09:05:27 AM
I watched Red Dot on Netflix last night - a Swedish film about a couple who go hiking up in the north, it's pretty good, not hugely original but some nice scenery and pretty well shot too

Btw Netflix defaults to a terrible English dub so do switch your settings back to Swedish with subs

a must for any good horror movie ;)

will check this out, hiking and remoteness are two things that rarely fail together in a horror movie or real life.

Obel

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 18, 2021, 01:17:53 PM
A belated thanks for the heads up. I really enjoyed this. A sort of black comedy version of Rosemary's Baby (1968). I thought  the way they told the story and performances had a different take on the genre. I loved the ginger-haired Satanist guy. I'd even watch a Netflix series with his character as the lead. The grandparents had a great rapport but you talk about your man evoking Bruce Dern,  I just couldn't get over how much the pair reminded me of the aged Chris Langham and Thelma Barlow.

Well I would like to thank you for thanking him for his review. I watched this yesterday and absolutely loved it, one of my favourite horror films of recent times easily. Great characters, genuinely funny comedy moments that don't take away from some really nightmarish horror. Absolute hidden gem.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 28, 2021, 10:36:17 AM
Thanks also!

SteveDave

The Empty Man

I can't decide whether this is clever or really dumb.

An ex-cop investigates the disappearance of a neighbours teenage daughter. When all of her friends are found dead, he follows the trail of The Empty Man to a cult run by Milton from "Office Space".

This film also features Karen Colman (heiress of Colman Mustard) in a role right near the end of the film that made me laugh out loud when I should've been shivering with fear.

Noodle Lizard

Watched The Vigil last night. Pants.

Rev+

Possibly already mentioned, but The Owners was such a crashing disappointment.  Sylv McCoy and whatserface out of Game of Thrones!

Unfortunately they're starring in a film that that proceeds in exactly the direction you suspect it might.  Everyone in it is great, but you've seen this bollocks before.

BlodwynPig

Three in a row - a turkey!

Anyone watch Elvis the Alien on youtube? He often reviews the worst horror movies out at the moment (or classics) with some wit and not too much youtubisms. The Empty Man sounds like something he would review. He did a "Nun" special that reviewed The Nun plus 3 others, 2 of which had changed their title due to the release of the former and had very little to do with nuns (just slap a habit on the main character). The British one (Bad Nun) was basically a home video featuring relatives of corrie actors.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 03, 2021, 08:13:31 AM
Three in a row - a turkey!

Anyone watch Elvis the Alien on youtube? He often reviews the worst horror movies out at the moment (or classics) with some wit and not too much youtubisms. The Empty Man sounds like something he would review. He did a "Nun" special that reviewed The Nun plus 3 others, 2 of which had changed their title due to the release of the former and had very little to do with nuns (just slap a habit on the main character). The British one (Bad Nun) was basically a home video featuring relatives of corrie actors.
Sounds like they had a low bar to live up to after the first film then.
Dear me, bar low!

I'll get me coat.

willbo

I received Sputnik, a new Russian sci fi horror, from amazon a few days ago. Couldn't see if it was mentioned on this thread. Might watch it tonight.

zomgmouse

I think I mentioned it at some point. I quite liked it.