Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:24:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Aaaw, don't make me watch faust. It looks pants.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on April 02, 2021, 09:57:40 AM
Aaaw, don't make me watch faust. It looks pants.

There are enough loud colours and noise to make it bearable to watch.

Haha. I am sometimes tired enough that I just want to turn my brain off and veg out in front of something totally naff and trashy. I've downloaded it.
Nightmare on elm street 5 was the last film I watched like that and surprisingly it was nowhere near as shite as I expected!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on April 02, 2021, 02:57:23 PM
Haha. I am sometimes tired enough that I just want to turn my brain off and veg out in front of something totally naff and trashy. I've downloaded it.
Nightmare on elm street 5 was the last film I watched like that and surprisingly it was nowhere near as shite as I expected!

Good luck. Anyway, anything with Jeffrey Combs appearing is always worth a gander.

Artie Fufkin

Block Island Sound on Netflix.
Yeah. Good stuff.
Spoiler alert
A nice take on the alien abduction genre
[close]
Atmospheric. A bit creepy. Nice.

Head Gardener

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on April 02, 2021, 02:57:23 PM

Well?

Everything's a bit up in the air at the minute. I'm split between two houses, looking after my sister who's had an operation and my nephew who's off school. My dad's had an op as well and I can't drive and they live miles apart and my teeth are all falling out.

I'm definitely knackered of a night time but the rickety chair I've got at my sisters pc, there's no way I'm sitting perched on that watching a relaxing film for an hour and a half!
If I get a spare moment, I just have a quick blast on my daft shooty game.

I'll bump it up the top of my "to watch" list and I'll definitely give it a go when stuff gets a bit more back to normal or maybe even one night where everyone turns in early, but honestly, mate, I wouldn't be expecting too many spellbinding insights.
"Me likey" or "me no likey. Me smash telly now!" is much more my style! :D

"I like the bit with the arse tits" is probably gonna be the extent of my review.

Brundle-Fly

Hope you sort your teeth out. Going through the same thing. Faust can wait.

Good luck to you too, brother.
Yeah, shag my teeth, the flimsy pillocks. Sooner I'm shot of the lot of them, the better.
I'll just grow a nice hairy proboscis like yours.

Quote from: Moribunderast on April 01, 2021, 01:53:02 AMHoneydew

Thanks for the recommendation, and apologies to brundle fly for bumping faust down the list as I was in the mood for something newer.

Felt like it was trying a little too hard a lot of the time with the snazzy editing and stuff, but sometimes it all came together quite well and everything worked, feeling nicely cartoony and strange and queasy.
Particularly when they first get to the house. From 20-50 minutes in, that half hour was great. The over the top performance of the old woman starts off fun and it all looks nicely flat and distorted and the weird vocal incidental music makes everything feel icky.

It ran out of steam halfway through and never seemed to get back on track, and like you say once it's shown it's cards, you knew the surprises were over.

A swing and a miss, but you've got to give them extra points for having a vision and going for it. Yeah, will be interesting to see what they do next!

TrenterPercenter

Against my better judgement I watched The Power on Shudder based a the first few reviews underneath the video.  It's a pretty paint by numbers affair; kindof like if Hollyoaks made horror films (in fact sure it's got someone from Hollyoaks in it).  It's set in a London hospital back in the day(1970s?) and has some commentary on some dark things; but I couldn't help thinking it resembled "The Bureau" at several times with all the god awful laboured cockney accents (guv).

2/5 bit of a snoozefest.

SteveDave

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on April 03, 2021, 04:17:57 PM
Block Island Sound on Netflix.
Yeah. Good stuff.
Spoiler alert
A nice take on the alien abduction genre
[close]
Atmospheric. A bit creepy. Nice.

You're a thief and a liar.

Haha :D Yeah, it's a two bagger at best.

Artie Fufkin

phantom_power

I started watching Eaten Alive (1980) the other day but gave up on it. I can't stomach the grimness of those sort of films any more. How do you go about writing and making a film like that? "OK first we will have someone beheading and gutting an animal. Turtle? No, crocodile. Then follow that with a rape. I know, two rapes! Then which bit of that victim's body is the cannibal going to eat? Well I suppose we have a couple of arms left over from the last one so may as well use those. Then may as well toss a coin for the order of death of the main characters. Haven't done a castration for a few films. May as well stick one of those in somewhere. Job's a good'un"

Aaaaah! It's a gob! That makes everything better. I used to shudder every time I saw your avatar because it looked like someone had shoved a marble in their eye socket.

I hate myself so I clicked to see the bigger picture, i thought maybe seeing it in all it's gory detail would stop me flinching every time I saw it out the corner of my eye and tried not to look :D

SteveDave

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on April 23, 2021, 03:07:53 PM
Aaaaah! It's a gob! That makes everything better. I used to shudder every time I saw your avatar because it looked like someone had shoved a marble in their eye socket.

I hate myself so I clicked to see the bigger picture, i thought maybe seeing it in all it's gory detail would stop me flinching every time I saw it out the corner of my eye and tried not to look :D

The legend is that it's an anus with a marble balancing on it. I've just learned that it's not though so I might change it. It was my protest about being censored for posting a cartoon of a man giving birth from his cock.

Glebe

Watched Kenneth Branagh's Franinsteins on Netflix (saw it yonks ago). Boring shite.

neveragain

I watched a new Shudder anthology called Scare Package the other day - it's definitely more of a parody than an actual horror film, moments of actual suspense and tension are slim, but it's still very fun and creative with its demolition of tropes (even if Cabin in the Woods got there first on a lot of them).

purlieu

Just watched an unsettling short on YouTube called Curve. Spotted it on Twitter, described as "CURVE by Tim Egan only has a steeply curved incline as an antagonist"
Certainly worth ten minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4j-CZgnnu8

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: purlieu on April 26, 2021, 07:08:35 PM
Just watched an unsettling short on YouTube called Curve. Spotted it on Twitter, described as "CURVE by Tim Egan only has a steeply curved incline as an antagonist"
Certainly worth ten minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4j-CZgnnu8
I watched that this morning. Sweaty palm generator. Brilliant.

BlodwynPig

Brilliant and my worst nightmare.

Noodle Lizard

It must tap into some sort of phobia that I don't have, because it did absolutely nothing for me.

Contrary to the YouTube comments, the sound design actually took me out of it. Very poorly-mixed and edited. Comes in at a neat 9:50 because "10-minute-shorts" are a popular festival category, though it would've been better-suited for 5 or less. Sorry to be a grump. The set is about the only thing I liked.

madhair60

Fucking rubs. Just ended! What?? Terrible. That's what passes for entertainment these days, woozle wuzzle? Ugly as sin digital shite. Toilet. I mean it's better than anything I've ever made to be fair.

Rev+

Quote from: neveragain on April 25, 2021, 01:49:44 PM
I watched a new Shudder anthology called Scare Package the other day - it's definitely more of a parody than an actual horror film, moments of actual suspense and tension are slim, but it's still very fun and creative with its demolition of tropes (even if Cabin in the Woods got there first on a lot of them).

It's been knocking about for a while - I saw it well over a year ago, but can't remember where.  Starts off like it'll be a bit of a tedious micro-budget anthology horror, but explodes into something more interesting very quickly.  It's a comedy film for jaded horror fans, really.

Rev+

Yeah, Curve didn't do much for me as horror and was shittily right-wing.  She's making the effort in a precarious situation, but the people under her are the real problem. 

JaDanketies

Yeah Curve was very unsettling and it made me feel uneasy and like I was dangling over a cliff. But was expecting a narrative. Maybe there was one and I didn't get it.

Glebe

Watched Get Out last night, good stuff. I kinda wish it had of been a little more serious, but it worked in any case. Great score too. You can hear Daniel Kaluuya's London accent a couple of times, not to take away from his performance. Richard Herd from the original V as the grandfather! Turns out Allison Williams is the daughter of NBC news bloke Brian Williams.